Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Osmonds (don’t laugh)

DaveH

Hey if it’s good enough for Paul Gilbert, how can I judge?

Seriously, after I saw this video I started checking out some songs off this album, and they are rocking! I was a kid when it came out and I remember hearing ‘Crazy Horses’ and Lazy River’ on AM radio, but wasn’t paying much attention. This guy is spot on.

Can confirm.

As the youngest of 6 kids, I inherited my older siblings' musical tastes. The first 2 albums I listened to constantly were Crazy Horses and the Jackson 5's Skywriter. And hard rock/heavy guitar has been my favorite music ever since.

An album that I completely missed but ended up becoming one of my favorites was Survivor's self-titled first album. EVERY song sounds like a Top 20 hit song I'd never heard before.

I remember reading the Chuck Eddy book "stairway to hell" the top 500 metal albums of

all time had this Osmonds albums shockingly high, like in the top 50 or so....  it's a cool

read, some really off the wall choices...  I particularly liked the 1st Kix album (one of my faves)

rated in the top 10 above multiple zep, maiden albums etc...     lol             

I remember seeing them perform Crazy Horses on their variety show in the '70s and thinking, "Woah... (horse joke) ...they rock a lot harder than I was led to believe they could."

Great POTcast on that very subject...

But relistening to the album (I dragged it up on youtube about 2 years ago, but relistened to it again today), and the songs are not that great. The one that I still like, the only one I think aged very well at all, is We All Fall Down.

My parents took us to see the Osmonds at the Mill Run Theater.  I was expecting “ It takes 2 Baby” and was ready to be bored.  And they played plenty of that stuff.   But they did crank out Crazy Horses and that was pretty cool.  But I was into KISS and Zepplin so there was no room for them at that time. I’ll check out that album now…thanks for posting. 

4 hours ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

Can confirm.

As the youngest of 6 kids, I inherited my older siblings' musical tastes. The first 2 albums I listened to constantly were Crazy Horses and the Jackson 5's Skywriter. And hard rock/heavy guitar has been my favorite music ever since.

An album that I completely missed but ended up becoming one of my favorites was Survivor's self-titled first album. EVERY song sounds like a Top 20 hit song I'd never heard before.

My old friend Jim Peterick was the organizer, writer and general motive force behind Survivor.  I was around when he was writing this as well as the songs for his solo album.  I used to get excited progress reports as the whole thing was coming together. I sill mentally go "cha-ching" for him. when I hear Eye of The Tiger.

Marie was always a cutey.

My only connection to Survivor is that I bought my modded crybaby wah from the guy that did the mods on pedals for them, at least that's what I was told.  So yeah, I have that going for me.

2 hours ago, tomteriffic said:

My old friend Jim Peterick was the organizer, writer and general motive force behind Survivor.  I was around when he was writing this as well as the songs for his solo album.  I used to get excited progress reports as the whole thing was coming together. I sill mentally go "cha-ching" for him. when I hear Eye of The Tiger.

Jim still wearing that garish red leather outfit?

4 hours ago, tomteriffic said:

You *know* Jim???

Yeah, he's an amazing talent.  So many hit songs. I couldn't believe he also wrote/sang Vehicle.

Tell him he's a got a huge fan who *knows* what he did to make Survivor.

While the song is enough to elicit a WOAH - the video is laughable. Hard to take a band who're supposedly rocking out when they alternate between that choreographed stuff (stolen from Motown no doubt) and the goofy, crazy interpretive dance/performance art Alan was doing.

200.gif

Man I loved Crazy Horses. That was on my stack turntable right along with Tres Hombres and Cheap Thrills. Welcome To My Nightmare was on there too. Merrill's voice was great before he lost his nuts and started singing pussy shit. 

9 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

So you're denying that THIS doesn't tear in  new asshole in the sky because of the whiteboy Motown dancing?

Man, I knew these guys got their dance moves from The Osmonds. This proves it.

12 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

So you're denying that THIS doesn't tear in  new asshole in the sky because of the whiteboy Motown dancing?

Two thoughts after watching this video:

1) Their rhythm and synchronization rivals the current K-Pop boy groups that were *chosen* for their ability in synchronized dance, but at least the Osmonds play their own instruments.

2) I would not be surprised to find out they are all clones.  Or Boston Dynamics androids.

37 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Man I loved Crazy Horses. That was on my stack turntable right along with Tres Hombres and Cheap Thrills. Welcome To My Nightmare was on there too. Merrill's voice was great before he lost his nuts and started singing pussy shit. 

We are the department of youth ah we got the power. And who gave it to you ? Donny Osmond. WHAT. 

There was a band called 10 Speed in the 90s that put out a CD with a padded vinyl case that looked like a Kustom amp.  I had to talk the record store owner into letting me buy that album.  The photos inside showed the band with a wall of Kustom amps.  The music was good.  The gimmick was great. 

12 hours ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Man, I knew these guys got their dance moves from The Osmonds. This proves it.

Still a better drummer than Lars…

Archived