Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Back relief guitar straps

svl

Anybody use 'em?  I tweaked my back (smack dab in the middle) Tuesday loading in then had to play a gig. Thought it might be a good idea to have some ergonomic strap in the kit for such an occasion.

I see Vee, Duo Strap, Slider Straps, Slinger Straps, etc but don't know anyone that's had any experience with any of 'em. I want to avoid the "belt" attachment type if possible but am open to it if they work miracles.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions/warnings.

My 2 cents worth......Get something like this to protect yourself from aggravating the injury through poor or inadvertent posture. Or careless lifting.

https://www.amazon.com/Posture-Corrector-Support-Shoulder-Improve/dp/B07Q494CNM/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=posture+back+brace&qid=1627066976&sr=8-10

THEN, also get the above mentioned wider padded strap. There are many to choose from. I am partial to Levys. Gibson makes some great (pricier!) ones, but there are many lower cost choices. If you prefer other than leather, consider the Mono Betty.

https://www.amazon.com/MONO-Betty-Guitar-Strap-Short/dp/B004GTPTOS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0emHBhC1ARIsAL1QGNcKJlT-U4k2HWZPcjDGR6s_9y5y7x8WOus5Rk_oLZ936tsqLQ8lbe4aAlDvEALw_wcB&hvadid=178442716492&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9033569&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4098303240300862595&hvtargid=kwd-54178646539&hydadcr=29614_10190092&keywords=mono+betty&qid=1627067550&sr=8-1

My OTHER 2 cents worth.....Thick padded leather straps take forever to break in......Treat it like a stiff baseball glove. Rub in a lot of neatsfoot oil, then "stress it" by stretching, compressing, parking the car on it, etc. to soften up  the leather. In fact, I also compress it in a vise in the shop to soften it up. Ends up ALMOST as comfortable as the one I have been using for several years.

Thanks, gents. I'm going to try the Kliq Aircell guitar pad (easy attachment to any 2" or less guitar strap) and see if it's helpful.  I did raise my guitar up at last nights gig and it felt a ton better, so maybe I'm going more BB than Billie Joe from now on...

I use the Aircell guitar pad when I strap on a bass. It works for me. My pains aren't so much in my back as they are in my shoulder. I tried a stretchy padded Levy's strap, but I couldn't adjust it short enough- heavy basses would stretch it out jut a little too much. I also tried one of those straps that goes over both shoulders, but the bass wouldn't hang in the proper position for me.

21 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Wider is better in such instances…at least that’s what she said ;)

It’s not the length, it’s the girth…

A buddy of mine had a fusion and has arthritis in his pelvis.  He's in pain, according to him, any time he stands still.  He got a really nice stool and still wears a strap.  He sits and stands up and moves around for a while before sitting again.  Just breaks it up between sitting and standing.  

Hope you're able to play comfortably as soon as possible.

13 hours ago, stobro said:

I use the Aircell guitar pad when I strap on a bass. It works for me. My pains aren't so much in my back as they are in my shoulder. I tried a stretchy padded Levy's strap, but I couldn't adjust it short enough- heavy basses would stretch it out jut a little too much. I also tried one of those straps that goes over both shoulders, but the bass wouldn't hang in the proper position for me.

I’m the same way... I actually have thoracic outlet syndrome from too many street fights and car accidents. I use the Neotech Mega straps... works wonders on my shoulders and neck. I’ll have to look into the Aircell.

14 hours ago, The Shark said:

A buddy of mine had a fusion and has arthritis in his pelvis.  He's in pain, according to him, any time he stands still.  He got a really nice stool and still wears a strap.  He sits and stands up and moves around for a while before sitting again.  Just breaks it up between sitting and standing.  

Hope you're able to play comfortably as soon as possible.

I have a portable guitar stool I've been bringing to duo gigs this year (nice for a little respite during ballad type tunes) and it's awesome to rest for a bit. Unfortunately the tweak hit me at a band gig (high energy pop/rock/R&B/dance) so no sitting for me. Maybe I need a fake leg cast that slips on and off and a throne recliner, that way I can pull off a Dave Grohl/Axl Rose thing. :)

I was actually told earlier this month that I had “too much energy” to play lead for a shit hot blues band at the Lake of the Ozarks. I got onstage with them at a gig and did my thing. The funny part is, I wasn’t looking or asking….I am not a gentle,fade into the background ensemble player….

9 hours ago, svl said:

I have a portable guitar stool I've been bringing to duo gigs this year (nice for a little respite during ballad type tunes) and it's awesome to rest for a bit. Unfortunately the tweak hit me at a band gig (high energy pop/rock/R&B/dance) so no sitting for me. Maybe I need a fake leg cast that slips on and off and a throne recliner, that way I can pull off a Dave Grohl/Axl Rose thing. :)

Hang in there.  Ever try an inversion table.  I love mine.

3 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

I was actually told earlier this month that I had “too much energy” to play lead for a shit hot blues band at the Lake of the Ozarks.

I get that a lot. Been compared to Steve the drummer way too often…

Many years ago I had a chiropractor tell me to rest my foot on a 4" or so step, box whatever. I had a really messed up L5 S1 situation after years of humping gear in and out of bars. The step made my hips shift and really helped me get thru a night of playing! 

Just another thing for you to try. The wide strap gets my vote along with light guitars!! Good Luck!

978480_1024x1024@2x.jpg

One of these might help. I think they're from the Diablo Collection.

18 hours ago, svl said:

^^^That is the most vanilla thing I've heard since The Norm Wooster Singers.

17 hours ago, Dutchman said:

Many years ago I had a chiropractor tell me to rest my foot on a 4" or so step, box whatever. I had a really messed up L5 S1 situation after years of humping gear in and out of bars. The step made my hips shift and really helped me get thru a night of playing! 

Just another thing for you to try. The wide strap gets my vote along with light guitars!! Good Luck!

Yes, I have a couple height adjustable foot rests. They fold flat and can fit in a guitar case.

All my straps are 2.5" to 3", look for Perri's straps on Amazon. 

All my guitars and amps are super lightweight, I've had back problems for years.

2 hours ago, ZR said:

Yes, I have a couple height adjustable foot rests. They fold flat and can fit in a guitar case.

If you're a right handed guitar player under which foot should one place the foot-rest?

There was a similar thread just recently concerning guitar straps. It was suggested that the Comfort Strapp would be the way to go. Since I suffer from neck and back pain due to years of football and rugby I checked out that strap. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Make sure that whatever strap it is that the material doesn't stretch over time, some do.

On 7/24/2021 at 3:07 PM, Travis said:

It’s not the length, it’s the girth…

The lady has spoken?

2 hours ago, rugby1970 said:

If you're a right handed guitar player under which foot should one place the foot-rest?

Well, like I said I have two so I use them both at the same time as a mini stage riser so I tower over my bandmates in intellect, playing ability and stature!😉

I actually use one for my right foot when I sit and I'm right-handed.  The only reason I have two is because the first one was a little cheap and wonkey but good enough to keep around if someone else wants to use one. Then I bought a better one. 

You could just use a wah pedal or books to simulate one to see if it helps at all.

Archived