Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Recording with Focusrite Question.

When recording guitar plugged directly into a Focusrite (Scarlett 2i2) do you put the fx chain before the unit or do you add them somehow in post? For instance, if I were to play with a pedalboard in front of the Focusrite, wouldn't it make it clip especially if it were high gain? If so, how do you run them into the DAW? I'm using Reaper if that matters. 

So far I've just been working with Guitar Rig and a Pod HD Pro X but was wanting to try a few of my pedals that aren't available in those. I have a Friedman OD hairy butthole something and a Diezel VH4 OD and a Freakout that makes great feedback at low volumes. 

You can run pretty much any pedal that you’d run into an amp into your 2i2 as long as you keep your levels under control.

Do either GR or the Pod allow you to run them inside of Reaper? Your pedalboard into a VST amp sim might sound great. 

16 minutes ago, Lockbody said:

You can run pretty much any pedal that you’d run into an amp into your 2i2 as long as you keep your levels under control.

Do either GR or the Pod allow you to run them inside of Reaper? Your pedalboard into a VST amp sim might sound great. 

I forgot to mention I'm not micing up an amp. 2i2 is going straight into my PC. So the Fx would go into the 2i2 and then into the PD / DAW.

I hadn't thought about trying the Fx into the POD. Might be cool. Somehow that makes more sense to me than straight into the 2i2. Not sure why.

Yeah, as long as you're not clipping going in, you should be fine, you'll just have to add an amp sim and cabinet impulse response to make it sound like it should. 

You should also be able to put the effects in the loop of the POD and use them there and directly connect that via USB.

You can run pedals straight into the audio interface, but you will have better results if you can run them into a preamp of some sort prior to hitting the Scarlett….the reason a preamp really helps is because the preamps in the Scarlett are made to be clean and transparent. The preamps in the old Neve, API, Trident, etc., consoles imparted color, distortion, and harmonic content that were key to  the tones on the records we all love.

Joe Perry often records pedals direct….and they go straight into the console preamp, eq, and compressor. 

An alternate method would be for you to record direct like you are but then use plugins in Realer’s FX to add preamp color, eq, compression….and you can buy zillions of great plugins as add ons that add tapes sound and anything you could ever want.

Archived