Hamer Fan Club Message Center

to sand or not to sand???

JochenP

Question

A couple of years ago I ´ve  buyed a Prototype. the paint was dirty and have had a lot of scratches.

I has sand it (1000) and polished again. The result was great! Nitro lacquer...

Now I picked up an 1996 T51. There is some "discoloration" where a  midi PU was installed before. Now I think about sanding and polishing again... but: is this the Nitro lacquer??? could it works??

Thanks to the experts! 

1-IMG_9641.JPG

2-IMG_9642.JPG

5 answers to this question

I'm NOT an expert, and I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...  the thought occurred to me that taping off the exposed area and subjecting it to UV *might* help blend it(?). 

Anyone ever tried anything like that, or maybe there is an easier/better way.

I worked in a music store and the owner put paper hands on the guitar “Left Handed!”  They sat in a window for weeks. When we took the hands off it looked just like your pick up situation. Put them back in the window and the discoloration went away. I’d say the sun is your best bet.  

On 7/24/2021 at 4:33 PM, JochenP said:

A couple of years ago I ´ve  buyed a Prototype. the paint was dirty and have had a lot of scratches.

I has sand it (1000) and polished again. The result was great! Nitro lacquer...

Now I picked up an 1996 T51. There is some "discoloration" where a  midi PU was installed before. Now I think about sanding and polishing again... but: is this the Nitro lacquer??? could it works??

Thanks to the experts! 

1-IMG_9641.JPG

2-IMG_9642.JPG

Hamer stopped using nitrocellulose lacquer around 1991.

Archived