Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Rediscovery: Alan Parsons Project

gorch

Since I had renovated and upgraded my stereo hifi equipment during winter and spring, I came to dig my old records. So, I came to pull out the existing Alan Parsons Project records a few weeks ago. I haven't heard them for felt decades. Man, that was a total new listening experience. Meanwhile I scored missing original records in near-mint condition. Sound quality of the old recordings is just superb with great dynamics and bass. No comparison to 180gr. re-releases. Parson new his business as an engineer and, together with Woolfson, were genious composers. The level of perfection is unreached. Personally, I prefer the 70s recordings up until Eye In The Sky. Later the sound became more synthetic, less orchestral.

Parson from the 90s on released quite a few solo recordings of which some are quite interesting again. As these are not available on vinyl, I'm just waiting for the CDs, that are fairly cheap to get. They are going to be ripped to Flac and oversampled in Audirvana. Supposed to sound great though.

Compared to ELO that are mixing band with chello and violin, I think APP are having much more complex and orchestral composing. Obviously, both are borrowing from the late period Beatles. Jon Lord's Concerto for Group and Orchestra made a step further into classic orchestra, I think.

I'm having a faible for the genre mix of orchestra and rock.

What had APP been in the US at times?

Anyone still dig them?

I made the transition to APP and solo CDs for everything but Eve . Didn't keep the live album too long. I think there was something after A Valid Path but I never bought it. 

In the mid-'70s one of my bar band's hangers-on/roadies opined that based on Tales of Mystery and Imagination, APP could replace Pink Floyd. His statement had some merit considering how lousy Animals was. On the reissue, of T.O.M.A.I., Orson Welles scared the bejeezus outta me at the beginning. Also helps to remember the debut effort was a concept album, and others  alluded to less-impactful concepts as well (Turn of a Friendly Card).

I've  appreciated folks differentiating between orchestral instruments accompanying rock bands (ELO) vs. orchestral compositions/movements as part of a presentation ("Fall of the House of Usher").

But Parsons could also interpolate great orchestral embellishments and fidelity, even if done with synths

And the arrangement of "Oh Life (There Must Be More)" is incredible, fidelity-wise and otherwise. If you've never heard it and are slightly liberal in your  appreciation of music that is done well, this'll give you goose bumps. Huge sound, melodic and meaningful guitar lines, and David Pack from Ambrosia on vocals.

I suppose the song would be considered a power ballad, which I rarely like, but "Oh Life" is nothing less than magnificent. Prolly make my desert island Top 10 singles. And the "A Day in the Life"-style ending just nails it (it was the final track on the album).

2 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

His statement had some merit considering how lousy Animals was.

I am starting to question your judgement...

I liked them in the '70s through Eye in the Sky. After that, not so much. The variation in lead vocalists in order to match their styles to specific songs was brilliant, I think. My band started covering this one during the lockdown and it's easily become a crowd favorite.  Funny thing is, everyone seems to know the song, but almost no one identifies it as an APP tune.

5 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

I liked them in the '70s through Eye in the Sky. After that, not so much. The variation in lead vocalists in order to match their styles to specific songs was brilliant, I think. My band started covering this one during the lockdown and it's easily become a crowd favorite.  Funny thing is, everyone seems to know the song, but almost no one identifies it as an APP tune.

It appears that COVID locked down the video. It‘s not available from here. And I‘m vaccinated. 😷

Archived