Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gibson’s new record label

What will it take for these guitar companies to realize they should just stick to making guitars?  Isn't a bunch of stupid side businesses what almost killed Gibson under Henry?

10 minutes ago, G Man said:

What will it take for these guitar companies to realize they should just stick to making guitars?

Explain that to the general manager.

2 hours ago, gorch said:

Explain that to the general manager, Karen.

FIFY

But seriously, given that most record labels are nothing more than intellectual property holdings companies and licensing agencies, such a move seems neither illogical nor impressive.

I would be intrigued if the company had built a state-of-the-art studio in Nashville and stocked it with with its finest guitars, amps, and gear.  At least in that way, the linkage between the recorded works and the company's products would be more obvious. 

7 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

At least in that way, the linkage between the recorded works and the company's products would be more obvious. 

Are you talking about an end-to-endmproduction chain? Could we see a streaming service „Gibson Music“, eventually?

9 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

FIFY

But seriously, given that most record labels are nothing more than intellectual property holdings companies and licensing agencies, such a move seems neither illogical nor impressive.

I would be intrigued if the company had built a state-of-the-art studio in Nashville and stocked it with with its finest guitars, amps, and gear.  At least in that way, the linkage between the recorded works and the company's products would be more obvious. 

They should do something like this (no matter what your oppinion on Jack White is) https://thirdmanrecords.com/ But Gibson is not driven by ideology for music. It's driven for profit. So It would never work.

I guess anyone who plays anything but Gibsons are out of a deal on this label.

5 hours ago, gorch said:

Are you talking about an end-to-endmproduction chain? Could we see a streaming service „Gibson Music“, eventually?

Perhaps, but entering the distribution sector would push the circles of concentric diversification beyond the point I think Gibson could actually compete.

17 hours ago, Disturber said:

guess anyone who plays anything but Gibsons are out of a deal on this label.

I will give them credit that when they do videos showing artist's guitar collections, they don't act like no other companies exist and they don't say S-type or T-type, they say Strat and Tele etc.  

But as @Biz Prof said, basically record labels were hedge funds/investment companies before it was "cool".  Sucking the money out of the talent, then dropping them like a hot potato, as if they were a retail chain. 

22 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

FIFY

I imagine there are probably a number of decent studios in Nashville that would lock out for heavily reduced rates just to have the guaranteed income at the moment. 

9 hours ago, LucSulla said:

I imagine there are probably a number of decent studios in Nashville that would lock out for heavily reduced rates just to have the guaranteed income at the moment. 

They can sign us. I'd love to go to Nashville to record. 😅

9 minutes ago, Disturber said:

They can sign us. I'd love to go to Nashville to record. 😅

I have. I cut an album in the same room where Neil Young recorded Harvest on someone else's dime. Same board, same 2", same everything. I never made it as a pro musician, but I'll always be proud to say that.  It was the real damn deal, and we got pretty close.

Sad thing is that Nashville really doesn't exist anymore.  As I've gotten older, I've realized the saying, "you can never go home," is less about a place than it is a place AND a time.  You can either be sad those days are gone or you can be happy you ever got to live them at all.  I cherish it.  Within two years of sitting in that room watching my buddy literally splice tape to edit some takes, that whole world was just gone.

And I've been to Stockholm.  Y'all have way better record stores.  😂

Archived