Hamer Fan Club Message Center

FS: 2 special pieces: Shishkov Ultimate #25 and 1979 Hamer USA Sunburst

(NOTE: BOTH ITEMS LISTED BELOW HAVE BEEN SOLD.  THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INTEREST!)

I am moving from Maryland to South Carolina in late September and will be downsizing my house, which includes significantly downsizing my guitar collection.  That is requiring some very difficult decisions about which guitars (out of 30+) to keep – after 40 years of collecting, they are pretty much all killer, no filler.

Many have already been sold to family or friends, or via consignment at Ryan Fowler’s Guitar Experience in Towson, MD (great store!)  But there are two items that I will be moving along that might be of special interest to the HFC crowd, so I am listing them here.

First: Shishkov Ultimate #0025.  If you are a member of this board and have read this far, you know what this is – one of the original Ultimates.  It is finished in “Cognac”.  The neck is “bound and crowned” with an ebony fingerboard.  The neck is patterned after Hamer’s “vintage round” shape that was used in the 2000s – approximately 0.900” at the nut - very comfortable!  Everything is original, including the Gravelin “Shlabotnik” pickups.  This guitar has been played very sparingly and is in 10/10, like-new condition with no flaws, in the original hardshell case.  Asking price: $4,000 plus $50 shipping.  (SOLD!)  (Link to pictures: Shishkov)

Second: 1979 Hamer USA Sunburst, serial #9 0850.  I am not the original owner of this guitar, but I have owned it since 1980 – over 40 years.  The pickups are not original and were changed back in 1980 by George MacPhail at Music Gallery in Highland Park, IL (and George still works there!)  The neck pickup is an early Gibson “Pat. Appl. For” reissue, as designed by Tim Shaw (in other words, an original Gibson “Shawbucker”.)  The bridge pickup is an early Seymour Duncan “JB” (model SH-4), which went on to become a very famous pickup model in the 80s and 90s but was new on the market back then.  It’s a great sounding combination in this guitar and I’ve never once considered changing them again.  The other modification from stock is that the 3 controls are topped with Gibson amber “top hat” knobs, rather than the original black “speed knobs” (which I do not have.)  With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight I would have left it stock, but at the time (1980) this was not a vintage guitar.  The pickups sound great, and the knobs look great.  There are no breaks or repairs, and the original Sustain Block bridge is in place.  This guitar has been played quite a bit over the years, but never abused.  The one-piece veneer top is beautiful with no significant flaws considering the age.  There is no belt buckle rash on the back, but there are two spots where the lacquer has chipped down to the bare wood – one by the output jack, and a smaller spot on the lower inside edge (see pictures).  Other than that, it’s in very good shape.  It has been kept since I purchased it in a molded Gibson Protector “chainsaw” case, which is in very good shape itself (clean inside and out with no broken latches.)  If you want that vintage Hamer mojo, this one’s got plenty of it.  Asking price: $1,800 plus $50 shipping.  (SOLD!)  (Link to pictures: Sunburst)

Please PM me if you have interest in either of these guitars.  Thanks!

Oh. My. God. These are NOT going to last long. Two incredible guitars at incredible prices.

If these are what you are selling, I can only imagine which guitars are staying.

2 hours ago, daa2202 said:

I am moving from Maryland to South Carolina in late September and will be downsizing my house, which includes significantly downsizing my guitar collection.  That is requiring some very difficult decisions about which guitars (out of 30+) to keep – after 40 years of collecting, they are pretty much all killer, no filler.

Many have already been sold to family or friends, or via consignment at Ryan Fowler’s Guitar Experience in Towson, MD (great store!)  But there are two items that I will be moving along that might be of special interest to the HFC crowd, so I am listing them here.

First: Shishkov Ultimate #0025.  If you are a member of this board and have read this far, you know what this is – one of the original Ultimates.  It is finished in “Cognac”.  The neck is “bound and crowned” with an ebony fingerboard.  The neck is patterned after Hamer’s “vintage round” shape that was used in the 2000s – approximately 0.900” at the nut - very comfortable!  Everything is original, including the Gravelin “Shlabotnik” pickups.  This guitar has been played very sparingly and is in 10/10, like-new condition with no flaws, in the original hardshell case.  Asking price: $4,000 plus $50 shipping.  (Link to pictures: Shishkov)

Second: 1979 Hamer USA Sunburst, serial #9 0850.  I am not the original owner of this guitar, but I have owned it since 1980 – over 40 years.  The pickups are not original and were changed back in 1980 by George MacPhail at Music Gallery in Highland Park, IL (and George still works there!)  The neck pickup is an early Gibson “Pat. Appl. For” reissue, as designed by Tim Shaw (in other words, an original Gibson “Shawbucker”.)  The bridge pickup is an early Seymour Duncan “JB” (model SH-4), which went on to become a very famous pickup model in the 80s and 90s but was new on the market back then.  It’s a great sounding combination in this guitar and I’ve never once considered changing them again.  The other modification from stock is that the 3 controls are topped with Gibson amber “top hat” knobs, rather than the original black “speed knobs” (which I do not have.)  With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight I would have left it stock, but at the time (1980) this was not a vintage guitar.  The pickups sound great, and the knobs look great.  There are no breaks or repairs, and the original Sustain Block bridge is in place.  This guitar has been played quite a bit over the years, but never abused.  The one-piece veneer top is beautiful with no significant flaws considering the age.  There is no belt buckle rash on the back, but there are two spots where the lacquer has chipped down to the bare wood – one by the output jack, and a smaller spot on the lower inside edge (see pictures).  Other than that, it’s in very good shape.  It has been kept since I purchased it in a molded Gibson Protector “chainsaw” case, which is in very good shape itself (clean inside and out with no broken latches.)  If you want that vintage Hamer mojo, this one’s got plenty of it.  Asking price: $1,800 plus $50 shipping.  (Link to pictures: Sunburst)

@L2A3

5 minutes ago, topekatj said:

Medium sized neck on the Sunburst? GLWTS

Thank you.  Yes, medium sized.  Not as big as 2000s-era Hamers, but bigger than mid-90s Hamer necks.  It’s a nice in-between size that works for almost everyone.

1 hour ago, tweed said:

Is this the older 1 piece neck on the Sunburst ?  Hard to tell from the pics !  Still good fret life on it ?

Yes, this is a one-piece neck.  I believe the three-piece neck was introduced in 1980.

Frets have been played but still have decent life yet.

At least a dozen people over on one of the Explorer pages on FB have been trying to find an Ultimate for sale.  I posted that there is one available here…

27 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

At least a dozen people over on one of the Explorer pages on FB have been trying to find an Ultimate for sale.  I posted that there is one available here…

Thank you!

9 hours ago, daa2202 said:

First: Shishkov Ultimate #0025.  If you are a member of this board and have read this far, you know what this is – one of the original Ultimates.  It is finished in “Cognac”.  The neck is “bound and crowned” with an ebony fingerboard.  The neck is patterned after Hamer’s “vintage round” shape that was used in the 2000s – approximately 0.900” at the nut - very comfortable!  Everything is original, including the Gravelin “Shlabotnik” pickups.  This guitar has been played very sparingly and is in 10/10, like-new condition with no flaws, in the original hardshell case.  Asking price: $4,000 plus $50 shipping.  (Link to pictures: Shishkov)

Second: 1979 Hamer USA Sunburst, serial #9 0850.  I am not the original owner of this guitar, but I have owned it since 1980 – over 40 years.  The pickups are not original and were changed back in 1980 by George MacPhail at Music Gallery in Highland Park, IL (and George still works there!)  The neck pickup is an early Gibson “Pat. Appl. For” reissue, as designed by Tim Shaw (in other words, an original Gibson “Shawbucker”.)  The bridge pickup is an early Seymour Duncan “JB” (model SH-4), which went on to become a very famous pickup model in the 80s and 90s but was new on the market back then.  It’s a great sounding combination in this guitar and I’ve never once considered changing them again.  The other modification from stock is that the 3 controls are topped with Gibson amber “top hat” knobs, rather than the original black “speed knobs” (which I do not have.)  With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight I would have left it stock, but at the time (1980) this was not a vintage guitar.  The pickups sound great, and the knobs look great.  There are no breaks or repairs, and the original Sustain Block bridge is in place.  This guitar has been played quite a bit over the years, but never abused.  The one-piece veneer top is beautiful with no significant flaws considering the age.  There is no belt buckle rash on the back, but there are two spots where the lacquer has chipped down to the bare wood – one by the output jack, and a smaller spot on the lower inside edge (see pictures).  Other than that, it’s in very good shape.  It has been kept since I purchased it in a molded Gibson Protector “chainsaw” case, which is in very good shape itself (clean inside and out with no broken latches.)  If you want that vintage Hamer mojo, this one’s got plenty of it.  Asking price: $1,800 plus $50 shipping.  (Link to pictures: Sunburst)

8 hours ago, BrotherTwang said:

I will 100%buy your Shishkov Ultimate 0025 right away if you allow me the chance? Thanks! George

PM sent.

18 hours ago, daa2202 said:

Second: 1979 Hamer USA Sunburst, serial #9 0850.  I am not the original owner of this guitar, but I have owned it since 1980 – over 40 years.  The pickups are not original and were changed back in 1980 by George MacPhail at Music Gallery in Highland Park, IL (and George still works there!)  The neck pickup is an early Gibson “Pat. Appl. For” reissue, as designed by Tim Shaw (in other words, an original Gibson “Shawbucker”.)  The bridge pickup is an early Seymour Duncan “JB” (model SH-4), which went on to become a very famous pickup model in the 80s and 90s but was new on the market back then.  It’s a great sounding combination in this guitar and I’ve never once considered changing them again.  The other modification from stock is that the 3 controls are topped with Gibson amber “top hat” knobs, rather than the original black “speed knobs” (which I do not have.)  With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight I would have left it stock, but at the time (1980) this was not a vintage guitar.  The pickups sound great, and the knobs look great.  There are no breaks or repairs, and the original Sustain Block bridge is in place.  This guitar has been played quite a bit over the years, but never abused.  The one-piece veneer top is beautiful with no significant flaws considering the age.  There is no belt buckle rash on the back, but there are two spots where the lacquer has chipped down to the bare wood – one by the output jack, and a smaller spot on the lower inside edge (see pictures).  Other than that, it’s in very good shape.  It has been kept since I purchased it in a molded Gibson Protector “chainsaw” case, which is in very good shape itself (clean inside and out with no broken latches.)  If you want that vintage Hamer mojo, this one’s got plenty of it.  Asking price: $1,800 plus $50 shipping.  (NOTE: SALE PENDING.)  (Link to pictures: Sunburst)

That Shishkov Ultimate is stunning!  I would love to see the photo album of the pieces that you are keeping if that is on your downsize list!!

Archived