Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Replacement pots needed for 2006 Studio upgrades...

Victor (Fret Friend)

Question

Hey guys! So, firstly! I love my 2006 Studio (Aztec Gold). I love everything about it but... I am swapping out the pickups and pots etc. I have the pickups (imported from USA). What pots am I going to need? The ones I have in are Hamer stamped and all 3 (both vol + 1 tone) are logarythmic. Tapers seems better than a standard log as on half (where they would normally ready 80-k-ohm-ish, the read 140k-ohm). Seems they have a much wider sweep than a standard log. New pickups are 4-core (splittable) rather than the standard single core (non-splittable). Tone pot will be a coil-split push-push if I can find a suitable one. Switch will also be swapped out for a new switchcraft and cap will be replaced with a vintage bumble-bee (just because I actually have one)! All original parts will be kept safe and stored just in case. Talk to me!

PS: Reason for pickup swap: originals are covered: I always have zebra bobbins...

15 answers to this question

Hi Victor,

First of all, that's a real beauty of a Studio. Very nice! To your question, it's my opinion that the stock Hamer pots will work wonderfully with nearly any humbucking pickup one might choose and I really don't feel there will be any measurable gains in swapping those out. If you must, the Mojotone 500k Vintage Taper pots are excellent! In fact, they are so excellent that they are currently out-of-stock/backordered but I'm sure they'll have some more soon. https://www.mojotone.com/Mojotone-Vintage-Taper-CTS-500K-Short-Split-Shaft-Guitar-Potentiometer

As for the 500k Push-Push, I've no idea on that. If you'd accept a Push-Pull for this project, these are solid and well-made: https://www.mojotone.com/CTS-500K-DPDT-Push-Pull-Potentiometer

I hope this is helpful!

Yes, very helpful! I have MojoTone pots on watch and was going that route! I can get a good push-push (at a premiumn) if I want the best. Overpriced but worth it. Thanks :)

PS: I decided that I need push-push (always preferred) so went with some good looking asian-made ones: taking a punt but they seem to be very well made: certainly better than Alpha brand...

Victor, I like that Studio Custom, but the I have exactly the same model and color from 2007. Just restrung it yesterday and played it for the first go in 2 years.  I was ready to offer it for sale, but hummm, just not yet.  The stock pots work for me, and they seem a bit better than most pots that I've had on other guitars over time.  I also have 2 Les Pauls to measure it by. The Hamer is a bit mid-range centric, but I work around it in how I e.q. my amp.

Studioplayer

On 8/19/2021 at 11:34 AM, Studioplayer said:

Victor, I like that Studio Custom, but the I have exactly the same model and color from 2007. Just restrung it yesterday and played it for the first go in 2 years.  I was ready to offer it for sale, but hummm, just not yet.  The stock pots work for me, and they seem a bit better than most pots that I've had on other guitars over time.  I also have 2 Les Pauls to measure it by. The Hamer is a bit mid-range centric, but I work around it in how I e.q. my amp.

Studioplayer

I want to keep all of the original pots/caps/switches together seperately so I'm replacing everything. I have gone with Mojotone vintage pots for volume and a custom 'push push' pot for tone (not that I'll use the tone knob much)...

Here are the bits plus pickups I have decided on: http://fretfriend.co.uk/Images/Hamer-Studio/hamer-montage.jpg

I can use 2 from 3 of the following pickups (Alnico Pro 2 bought in error so may use it in bridge): 

• Seymour Duncan 59 neck (no logo, vintage spec, 4-core) *this pickup is the reason for the upgrade as I wanted a single coil option.
  • Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro 2 neck (no logo, 4-core, in bridge position)
  • Seymour Duncan Distortion bridge (4-core)
  • Mojotone Vintage volume pots 500k/custom taper 7% tolerance (actually nearer 5%)
  • Custom 500k push-push tone (Fleor)
  • .033uF Bumblebee cap by Luxe Radio (a spare from a client custom project): not an option I'd personally waste money on but I have it so...

The 59 neck is a custom vintage 'no logo' made with the exact same wire/spacer/bobbins/magnets as the originals and wound on the exact same machine that Kalamazoo used in the 1950's: cost a tad more but well worth it. The Alnico Pro 2 neck was bought in error (I wanted a bridge one) but as I had it imported from USA, it was not worth returning as I would have lost half of the amount I paid for it in return shipping. Because the DC resistance of the neck is only 0.2k-ohm less than the bridge pickup, I have decided to use it as a bridge pickup (turned 180 degrees/upside down). If I use the Distortion, I will remove the SD logo. I will likely keep the Distortion as a spare.

Reason for upgrades are: I love a single coil neck pickup. The original 59 sounds so amazing in this guitar but I wanted a single-coil option. That's why I spent the extra cash on getting a real vintage version! I also love (and prefer) zebra bobbins. I'm not too interested in splitting the bridge but: I may as well include the option just to give me that choice! I will video document all of the work :)

Your thoughts/comments will be very much appreciated! Victor...

That's way too many options for me to pick from it for your exact goals.  It depends on what type of music you wil be playing with the Hamer.  You going for versatility, a special type of genre of Rock, Metal, Classic Rock, etc. ?

I'd listen closely to the tone characteristics of your guitar. i.e. is it bright, middy, dull sounding with the currents pickups.  Give it a play and decide for yourself that question.  My 2006 Studio Custom came with ‘59's. The pickups are just slightly”scooped in their tone signature and a decent choice for mine because the guitar is a bit on the mid-focused side. Where '59 neck pickups are known to be a bit muddy on the lower wrapped strings, the SC's body carve and style does not produce mud. So, the ‘59 neck (IMHO) seems to be a good match for the guitar.  My '59 bridge pup is a bit on the shrill trumpet-like bark and whine (under gain) in this particular Hamer SC, so I could be in the search for a suitable more tone balanced pickup to match the stock neck ‘59.

The “key” to solving any tone “riddle” is to listen awhile to the guitar as is when playing a music style you prefer. Listen closely to decide what could you do to improve the tone you currently have (if any) and then then decide from the list of pups and caps, pots, etc…what would benefit your idea of a better tone.  

studioplayer

Lol @Studioplayer I wasn't asking you to pick for me: I own a guitar repair workshop/modshop. I was just presenting to the board what upgrades I am going for / selecting from 👍

Your pickup recommendations are good: I was always going for a 59 in the neck. The guitar in it's original state needs nothing changing as it's perfect as it is but the changes are being made to give me a single-coil option via a push-push tone. As good as the 59 also is in the bridge, I agree with you that it can be flabby so the Alnico Pro or Distortion will be better IMO. Thanks :)

On 8/25/2021 at 9:34 AM, Gino said:

Vintage inspired pots: https://www.vintage-inspired-guitarparts.com/POTS

These are very nice. I put them in my R8 and love them. They are supposed to be exact replicas of the old Centrallab pots...

Thanks but... I've gone with the following:

• NECK: Seymour Duncan 59 neck (no logo, vintage spec, 4-core) *this pickup is the reason for the upgrade as I wanted a single coil option.
  • BRIDGE: Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro 2 neck pickup (no logo, 4-core, in bridge position)

--- OR ---

• BRIDGE: Seymour Duncan Distortion bridge (4-core)
  • Mojotone Vintage volume pots 500k/custom taper 7% tolerance (actually nearer 5%)
  • Custom 500k push-push tone (Fleor)
  • .033uF Bumblebee cap by Luxe Radio (a spare from a client custom project): not an option I'd personally waste money on but I have it so...

I second the choice of Mojotone pots. My '93 Studio weirdly came with all Hamer tapered pots replaced with Korean linear pots. Those smooth-turning audio-taper Mojotones made a world of difference.

Also agree about the Bumblebee. Capacitance is capacitance, but if it's at hand and free, why not?

Bought Mojotones...

16 minutes ago, ArnieZ said:

Have you thought about removing the covers of the pickups to see what's under the hood?
arniez

What? I own a guitar repair shop and fix/mod guitars all the time. I know exactly what is under the hood. I just wanted some recommendations on what pots I could try as I am adding splittable humbuckers to my spec (I always install Zebra-bobbined HB's on my guitars). The original 59's though exceptional are single core / non-splittable. I've bought vintage-correct 4-core versions of the 59 + the Slash Alnico II. I wanted to hear peoples pot recommendations to see if people were in the same train-of-thought as me...

3 hours ago, Victor (Fret Friend) said:

What? I own a guitar repair shop and fix/mod guitars all the time. I know exactly what is under the hood. I just wanted some recommendations on what pots I could try as I am adding splittable humbuckers to my spec (I always install Zebra-bobbined HB's on my guitars). The original 59's though exceptional are single core / non-splittable. I've bought vintage-correct 4-core versions of the 59 + the Slash Alnico II. I wanted to hear peoples pot recommendations to see if people were in the same train-of-thought as me...

To be fair, while you did mention the 2 conductor to 4 conductor issue for splitting pickups, your original post said the reason you were swapping pickups was because the originals were covered and you wanted zebra. 

I think Arnie was just asking if you lifted the covers to see if maybe the bobbins were already zebra. Many times they’re double black under the covers but every now and then Duncan will use a different color bobbin if that’s what they grab from the bin…

Also you can turn 2 wire Duncan’s into 4 wire if your handy with a soldering iron and very careful.  I’ve done it a few times.  Even with the the custom humbuckers Josh Gravelin made me.  Should have ordered it 4 wire originally. Don’t tell him, my work isn’t as clean as his. 🤐

Archived