Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer 8 string bass

P Franco

Question

13 answers to this question

42 minutes ago, P Franco said:

Heading out tomorrow to check out an 8 string Hamer bass. Is there anything specific I should be on the lookout for other than the normal cracks, fret wear, action -neck relief etc. ?  Thanks!

Depending on the year, the biggest issue is the single truss rods on the earlier ones (pre-90s) can have twisting issues - not all, but the necks on some of the older ones should definitely be checked out.  Sometimes, the preamps go on the older ones too, and they don't make replacements.

If it's a '90s or newer bass, you have very little to worry about.  The twin truss rods and 3 piece stressed maple necks made a huge difference in stability.

Apart from that, it's tough to go wrong.  Definitely check the neck for any issues, but as mentioned, on a newer bass, things should be fairly stable.

What model 8 string bass are you looking at?

42 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Depending on the year, the biggest issue is the single truss rods on the earlier ones (pre-90s) can have twisting issues - not all, but the necks on some of the older ones should definitely be checked out.  Sometimes, the preamps go on the older ones too, and they don't make replacements.

If it's a '90s or newer bass, you have very little to worry about.  The twin truss rods and 3 piece stressed maple necks made a huge difference in stability.

Apart from that, it's tough to go wrong.  Definitely check the neck for any issues, but as mentioned, on a newer bass, things should be fairly stable.

What model 8 string bass are you looking at?

It’s a B8S with dual EMGs and a 6 digit serial number (I’m thinking it’s on the newer end). 

We’ll I’m now the new ‘first time’ owner of an 8 string bass now. Everything is great on it , a few surface scratches & tiny nicks but a great instrument. It does have dual truss rods. 

Now some follow up questions, is the tuning normally just an octave on each respective string?
Also, with string changes - is there a trick to it - or straight forward if I use the same gauge strings? I don’t want the action changing just because I removed all of the strings at the same time. Thanks!

Whoah!  That’s a nice grab!   What’s the first digit of the serial number?  “1”?  “2”?  

Gotcha - I thought it was either a ‘91 or ‘92!

Good to know that it’s a ‘91 thanks for the info. Anything else that stands out to you, especially the color - is that original (like what’s the official name of the purple hue”). 
the fretboard appears to be ebony. All in all I am extremely happy with it. 

Archived