Hamer Fan Club Message Center

TDC: Don Everly

https://nypost.com/2021/08/22/don-everly-of-rock-duo-the-everly-brothers-dead-at-84/

Family harmony vocals are almost always unique and enthralling, as exemplified by surnames like Gibb, Bellamy, Gatlin, Carter and others (even Osmond). The Everlys bridged country and early pop/rock in a unique manner. Really liked a late '60s single of theirs called "Milk Train" but it didn't chart as high as "Wake Up Little Susie", etc.

The Everley Brothers were a pretty racy act for television (at the time)... As a 7-8 year old at the time, I vaguely remember conversations about that. 

Those boys could carry a tune. Sorry to hear they are both gone.  Although I understand that when they got together in the studio or off stage on tour there could be a wee bit of tension. 

Way back when compact discs were all shiny and new, my roommate - a founding member of the Buckinghams and a huge Everly Brothers fan - pointed out how much production had improved when they switched labels to Warner Brothers. This newfangled CD thing was amazing, clearly displaying tape hiss and other shortcomings of the early recordings.

Don and Phil were two voices from one brain. They were so locked in, so in tune to each other it was mesmerizing.

3 hours ago, princeofdarkness56 said:

Those boys could carry a tune. Sorry to hear they are both gone.  Although I understand that when they got together in the studio or off stage on tour there could be a wee bit of tension. 

Just a little!

Apparently when Warren Zevon was in the touring band, there were some spectacular drinking escapades as well. 🎃

13 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Way back when compact discs were all shiny and new, my roommate - a founding member of the Buckinghams and a huge Everly Brothers fan - pointed out how much production had improved when they switched labels to Warner Brothers. This newfangled CD thing was amazing, clearly displaying tape hiss and other shortcomings of the early recordings.

Don and Phil were two voices from one brain. They were so locked in, so in tune to each other it was mesmerizing.

Tape hiss??? Who cares about the shortcomings, as you put it? I choose to ignore such & focus on the artistry within. Back then, the performance in the studio was everything.  No Pro Tools. Punch ins, etc. Had to be spot on & time was $. I'd much rather listen to great music created then than today's pop music where everything is auto tuned & pitch perfect.  

15 hours ago, princeofdarkness56 said:

They had been together all their lives. They needed a break from one another. Familiarity breeds contempt. Problem is,  they were never as good apart as together. 

R.I.P. :(

1 hour ago, hamerican gigolo said:

Tape hiss??? Who cares about the shortcomings, as you put it? I choose to ignore such & focus on the artistry within. Back then, the performance in the studio was everything.  No Pro Tools. Punch ins, etc. Had to be spot on & time was $. I'd much rather listen to great music created then than today's pop music where everything is auto tuned & pitch perfect.  

That was an observation, not a diss. It was very apparent - on CD - that Warners had a better facility, resulting in cleaner recordings. If you enjoy hiss and distortion, great! I have a Fostex cassette 4-track I'll send you!

I also prefer the recording imperfections - pre-Pro Tools, etc - that gave music some personality. Hearing background noise, flubs, clams, whatever, made it real.

As a lot of HFCers already know, Albert Lee backed the Everly Brothers for an extended time. As a guest at a Pomona guitar show in the mid-'90s, he brought along a Gibson Everly Brothers model that one of the brothers had given him. Always thought that model was one of the coolest signature models ever, what with the star fretboard inlay (but Lee's had blocks w/ the top edge scalloped---like a J-200's stock inlay?), double pickguards, etc. 

A. Lee Everly Brothers Pomona .jpg

Rick Nielsen is an Everly Bros fan as well.  In his book he has an early EB guitar. 

“Bird Dog” is stuck in my head along with “Dream”.  Definitely one of the great harmonious duos from that era. 
Hamerica 

Archived