Hamer Fan Club Message Center

RIP Charlie Watts

Bummer. Understated foundation for the Stones' sound. As  much of a human metronome as Ginger Baker but unflashy. 

He looked like he was really having fun in that Willie & the Poor Boys offshoot thing way back when.

• Like 6

Very sad news. He‘d been the Ringo Starr of the Stones.

• Like 4

I knew it wasn't a good sign when he bagged out of the current tour, but had no idea he was this ill.   He held that band together as much as anyone.  

And the drummer he's so shattered, trying to keep on time. 

Rest easy Mr. Watts.

• Like 6

damn, he was cool...   liked how he always wore a nice suit and tie

and he looked like nothing flustered him... except that time Mick

referred to him as "my drummer"   and he threatened to throw mick

out the window or something like that.  After which he probably

walked off and straightened his tie...   R.I.P     

• Like 2

Charlie taught me how to play drums.  I played "Some Girls" over and over and over to build stamina and keep a steady solid beat. 

I'll go down and play "Miss You" tonight for old times.   Thank you sir.  

• Like 9

Best "In the Pocket" drummer of his generation, the man had a metronome in his ass! Kept Keith from rushing and brought them all back from outa sorts to all lined up. 

RIP Charlie!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great drummer and he seemed from how he presented himself in interviews as a very non "ROCKSTAR" type of guy. You had to believe IF he could have been there.............[Touring] he would have done it. Thinking the rest of the band and others held their cards close and chose not to elaborate to much on his "CONDITION". Saw them back in the 1970s touring behind the Exile on Mainstreet LP. VERY good then! I think the band should have packed it in years ago, I don't think they were ever the band the were when they had Mick Taylor. Drum On and RIP

• Like 4

Seems like the "Classic Rock" icons I saw on TV and on stage under the bright lights are slowly starting to "fade to black".  But, I'll always have the memories 'cause "Rock and Roll will never die" !

R.I.P. brother 

The man set the beat to the soundtrack of my life. So sad. First drummer I listened to for real. He tought me what a good foundation in a band is all about. RIP Charlie.

• Like 1

Rest in peace, Charlie and make sure the "wild bunch" in that heavenly band (EVH, Jimi an others) keep the timing! And have a ball with "the Ox"!!

• Like 2

For your reading pleasure: Here's the quote from Keef'a autobiography that was mentioned a couple of times:

Watts 1.jpg

Watts 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Man, we certainly have lost a lot of legendary Rock drummers in the past few years. Ginger Baker, Neil Peart, and now Charlie Watts.  I've never been a HUGE fan of the Rolling Stones, but I have seen them live, and even a few years ago Charlie still held that beat DOWN. I can't imagine how many drummers the man has inspired throughout the decades.

• Like 2