Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Humble Pie Live

So I was listening to the Fillmore Album and i've heard about the Winterland Show so I finally gave it a listen tonight. I'm not done yet, but damn they do killer version of I'm a Roadrunner. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I managed to garner the box set of all four performances from which Performance-Rockin' the Fillmore was culled. Frampton gave an excellent interview RE the box set, and that article is in rotation on Vintage Guitar's archival section; enjoy:

https://www.vintageguitar.com/18376/humble-pie-at-the-fillmore/

• Like 2

There is a cool video of Frampton and Clemson playing I Don’t Need No Doctor….I think it was a Marriott tribute.

I have had the Winterland show for years and love Marriott and Clemson together. 

• Like 3

On 8/27/2021 at 8:09 AM, Jakeboy said:

There is a cool video of Frampton and Clemson playing I Don’t Need No Doctor….I think it was a Marriott tribute.

I have had the Winterland show for years and love Marriott and Clemson together. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The first 10 listens I though man he has killer tone, then I realized he is just playing REALLY FUCKING LOUD. LOL Frampton said that Humble Pie wasn't a really loud band until after he left. Then they became a legendary loud band. No more mixing 50 and 100 Watts it was multiple 100 watt Marshalls. 

Frampton added dynamics to a rock band, IMHO is why they were unique. Frampton and Marriott playing and writing off of each other was magic. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I owned "Live at Winterland" prior to "Rockin' the Fillmore", and it has become a seminal record in my guitar development. The band was on fire, and the Blackberries were the absolute bizness. I don't sell RTF short, though - what an amazing record. I also located a copy of the RTF Box Set and it's a superb document of one of the greatest albums of all time. 

Both albums include giant, ball-crushing rock guitar tone, and Marriott's voice takes it all to the next level.

I have three sons, and more than once I've cranked a bit of live Humble Pie to show them what it was like when dinosaurs roamed the earth. 

Edited by Bluesking
  • Like 2