Hamer Fan Club Message Center

To Pick Guard or Not To Pick Guard...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, The Shark said:

So, I've decided to buy a set of Bare Knuckle Black Dog's in double white for the guitar.

THERE WILL BE NO PICKGUARD...

clapping-leonardo-dicaprio.gif&usqp=CAU

2 hours ago, Stike said:

I guess I'm the only one who thinks Les Pauls look funny with quilt tops.🤷🏼‍♂️

I was actually thinking the same thing.  The uber-traditional lines of the Lester body shape do look a bit unusual with that type of wood bling.  The quilt on this one that Shark purchased is just insane and relatively rare on any guitar model.  I've seen a few Lesters with quilt tops, but never one that had anything close to that degree of chatoyance. 

8 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

I was actually thinking the same thing.  The uber-traditional lines of the Lester body shape do look a bit unusual with that type of wood bling.  The quilt on this one that Shark purchased is just insane and relatively rare on any guitar mode.  I've seen a few Lesters with quilt tops, but never one that had anything close to that degree of chatoyance. 

All that just to use the word "chatoyance."

Well done.

11 minutes ago, kizanski said:

All that just to use the word "chatoyance."

Well done.

Here in rural NC, those who know call it "figger" or figgerin". But, alas,  I must use standard English with all of you. 😉

8 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Here in rural NC, those who know call it "figger" or figgerin". But, alas,  I must use standard English with all of you. 😉

Yup.  That friggin' top is gorgeous. 

Add me to the traditionalists who only see flame as appropriate for Les Pauls, and add a "no whammy bars" to that even though a Bigsby is historically accurate. 

19 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Nah, we call it tiger maple pronounced tiegrrrrr maypulll.

8 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

even though a Bigsby is historically accurate. 

Speaking of "funny looking". Every time I see a Bigsby I think "Run Forest run!!!" which sucks because I hated that movie but that's a whole other thread I guess. 🤣

40 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

I'm driving the 2i2 3G with a propeller beanie on right now, I am

Ah...I knew there was something I left in my Amazon shopping cart, dang it.

spacer.png

53 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Her nuanced idiosyncrasies/ I considered an annoyance
I look upon them now/As concupiscent chatoyance

Would have been one of their better lyrics!
Rolls right off your tongue.

1 hour ago, Ed Rechts said:

Is this because Bigsbys look like the awkward clanky contraption around young Forrest's legs when Elvis unscrupulously trademarks the kid's dancing moves, or because Neil Young's cantankerous demeanor over the last decades often come off as "Gump-ian"?

Anyways, @Biz Prof, I have waited 50 years of my life to shoehorn "chatoyance" into a conversation or better yet, a walk-off homerun moment in a Scrabble game, so my  hat is off to you. You also just supplied me with the perfect word to finish a couplet in an imitation Cars song I was writing as an exercise:

Her nuanced idiosyncrasies/ I considered an annoyance

I look upon them now/As concupiscent chatoyance

I'm driving the 2i2 3G with a propeller beanie on right now, I am

That'd be the former.

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

I had to look up "concupiscent."

Most of us Southern boys didn't go to Catholic school, so....yeah.  I'm with you.  Lol

Archived