Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Who here is good at finish repair?

Menehune

My 1996 Studio Custom needs some finish lovin'. Besides three chips in the black face of the headstock that need fixing, there's a chunk of the red finish taken out of the upper side hip. I used a thin superglue to stabilise the cracked pieces that were still in place, but there's a spot of bare mahogany that will need a color-matched drop-fill. While I've done finish repairs to clear coats, I'd rather someone with experience do these color finish repairs. Recommendations?

14 hours ago, Menehune said:

Anyone? Anyone? Can anyone at least share a hint of the color tints used over the mahogany back and sides? Red and black? Red, yellow and black?

I was told by a former employee that SEM Candy Concentrates were used to make translucent colors. Smallest amount you can buy is 8 ounces and it's expensive.

https://www.semproducts.com/product/candy-concentrates/03116#product-details

5 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

It sounds like you loaned your guitar to hamerhead, so let him find someone to fix it for you. 

Dammit, Steve!

3 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Any pictures? Are the headstock chips through the black?

A base black finish (or stain) was applied to the face of the headstock, but then a black lacquer/Urelac was applied to the face and about 1mm rounded over the face and onto the headstock sides. So in the largest chip I see half black, and half the finished red mahogany color.

I took some snaps, and will upload them.

On 9/1/2021 at 9:56 AM, Menehune said:

20210901_002956.jpg

20210901_002832.jpg

Yes, those are lacquer blush spots on the headstock, not dust. They appear over the back of the body and neck, and a little bit on the sides, but interestingly not on the body top. And, as a bonus, it's also a Pizza Day guitar.

Is that the worst of it?  If so, I wouldn't even bother, especially if it's a Pizza Day guitar.

24 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Is that the worst of it?  If so, I wouldn't even bother, especially if it's a Pizza Day guitar.

This ^^^

You’ve got yourself a fantastic player and now it’s taking on signs of being played. With those first few dings out of the way, now you can play it even more/harder without fear. Rock it out!

On 9/2/2021 at 10:40 AM, Travis said:

This ^^^

You’ve got yourself a fantastic player and now it’s taking on signs of being played. With those first few dings out of the way, now you can play it even more/harder without fear. Rock it out!

The headstock chips I can live with. That body gash, though, bothers me more than I thought it would.

On 8/31/2021 at 1:35 PM, Stike said:

I was told by a former employee that SEM Candy Concentrates were used to make translucent colors. Smallest amount you can buy is 8 ounces and it's expensive.

https://www.semproducts.com/product/candy-concentrates/03116#product-details

And Jebus, their website doesn't illustrate the colors. WTF?

I think @Jim85IROC's suggestion is best in this case: nail polish color layer, with a cover build-up of CA glue, epoxy or UV-cured poly. That lets me develop the tinting on mahogany scraps on the cheap.

31 minutes ago, Menehune said:

And Jebus, their website doesn't illustrate the colors. WTF?

I think @Jim85IROC's suggestion is best in this case: nail polish color layer, with a cover build-up of CA glue, epoxy or UV-cured poly. That lets me develop the tinting on mahogany scraps on the cheap.

Are the nail polish colors translucent? Opaque colors aren't going to look right. I have a SEM chip book, I can take a picture of the candy concentrate page for you if you want.

8 hours ago, Stike said:

Are the nail polish colors translucent? Opaque colors aren't going to look right. I have a SEM chip book, I can take a picture of the candy concentrate page for you if you want.

I would greatly appreciate seeing those colors, @Stike.

Nail polish is attractive for its low cost. I can experiment with thinning polish colors to make a tint, and then mixing that into clear polish.

1 hour ago, Menehune said:

I would greatly appreciate seeing those colors, @Stike.

Nail polish is attractive for its low cost. I can experiment with thinning polish colors to make a tint, and then mixing that into clear polish.

I forgot about Coast Airbrush. They sell House Of Kolor candy concentrate in amounts as small as 1 ounce.

https://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=75

Archived