Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Who else prefers Vol/Tone/Tone instead of Vol/Vol/Tone on their Hamers?

Jim85IROC

I've been acclimating to my new-to-me 2001 Studio Custom, and I love playing the guitar.  About the only thing that I don't love about it is the wiring and the pickup selector.  The pickup selector likes to jump on its own from the bridge position to the middle, so I need to replace it.  While I'm in there, I'm considering making other changes.  I don't like not having individual tone controls for the neck & bridge pickups, so I'm considering rewiring to Vol/Tone/Tone instead of Vol/Tone/Tone.  I'm also considering replacing one of the pots with a push/pull so that I can invert the phase of the neck pickup for the Peter Greene type sounds.

Anybody else not a big fan of the Vol/Vol/Tone config?

• Jim85IROC changed the title to Who else prefers Vol/Tone/Tone instead of Vol/Vol/Tone on their Hamers?

V-T-T here.  

I've had several guitars rewired that way and Mike set up both of my Shishkovs like that as well. 

It just makes more sense to me than V-T-T, particularly since I prefer my neck pickup tone on 10 and my bridge pickup tone backed off sometimes.  That and a master volume keeps me from needing to fiddle too much.  

7 hours ago, kizanski said:

V-T-T here.  

I've had several guitars rewired that way and Mike set up both of my Shishkovs like that as well. 

It just makes more sense to me than V-T-T, particularly since I prefer my neck pickup tone on 10 and my bridge pickup tone backed off sometimes.  That and a master volume keeps me from needing to fiddle too much.  

Being able to roll off the bridge tone is exactly why I want to rewire. 

I've always been VVT, if not LP-style 4 knobs.  I'm lost without separate volumes for each pickup, as I spend 75% in the middle position, sold a Newport Pro over it- my plan was to mod the newpro removing the switch, moving the tone knob to the old switch location, and adding a second volume control where the tone knob used to be.  Or drill another hole under the f-hole for a second volume knob (and keep the switch), but that option wasn't reversible.

I wised up and got Mike to build 0091 with V-V-T AND a position switch!  I like the knob/switch layout better than the modded newpro would've had as well.

n3ZjTnc.jpg

V-V-T, here (actually,  I prefer V-T or just V. As Kiz sed, less to twiddle.)  V-V-T-T is the most flexible, but outside of Madison Square Basement, I'd rather focus on playing the right notes than whether my neck tone is on 3 or 4. : )

But, on the Hamers, I always swapped the vol positions. I know it's logical the way it's laid out,  but I prefer the first knob I touch to be the bridge vol. 

1 hour ago, Travis said:

661EBDBB-4105-4306-B505-83691F232B21.jpeg

Good thing that fucker could play a guitar...  

I mean, if he wasn't... , or couldn't, and listed that fecal mess on Reverb or Craigslist? This crowd would be on it like the stink on that horrible YouTube video "Brent's Nemesis" that @DaveH posted this morning.

barf

Usually prefer a volume for each HB. I mix the pickups so frequently that two volumes are essential. 

Other guitars, you take the hand that’s dealt you (Teles/Strats, etc…). That’s what height adjustments are for. 

It's funny; I NEED separate volume and tone controls on my LP Special, but my Hamers (Artist Custom, Sunburst Archtop, Monaco Superpro) I've adapted to the factory wiring, and don't miss the extra tone knob as much as I thought I would. That said, I might convert one to V-T-T just to try it out.

Archived