Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD!! Hamer style

Laz

Okay, so it's NGD + a couple.  I got this on Thursday but just finished the overhaul yesterday, so I'm just now getting around to making a post.  This is a 90's Hamer Slammer Series made in Korea.  It has the small hammer series in writing on the headstock under the main Hamer logo.  But being the poser that I am I covered it with a piece of black tape!  Anyway, this guitar came to me with two Railhammer Anvil pickups, a non-functioning toggle switch and completely dead in terms of sound.  Nothing.  I got a new toggle switch, traded a couple of extra pedals that have been sitting in their box for no telling how long for a pair of Gibson 490R & 490T humbuckers.  I installed the toggle, wired in the new pickups, a little truss rod adjustment, changed out the cosmetics to cream and gold, rather than all black, and booyah!!  What a guitar!

I'm a middle age cat and I'm a long time Gibson player.  I have to admit, over the years I always kinda scoffed at guitars that weren't U.S. or at least Japanese builds.  But over the last couple of years I've learned the lesson that so many have known for years.  And that's that Korean made guitars from the 90's are quite good, and still reasonable prices.  I know, I'm late to the party but better late than never.  What did it for me was an Ibanez AS80 made in Korea, with the wolf ears and Super 58's.  I got that for $330 bucks at the very beginning of the pandemic era and was rather blown away by that guitar.  Than I started researching Korean Hamers and finally got one.  For $200 bucks too!!  Anyway, I'm really blown away by this one too.  And to be completely honest, it feels even better all around than the Ibanez AS80, and that's saying a lot.  Now maybe one of these days I'll get a real Hamer.  I've always known they were great but just stayed in my Gibson lane and never went down that road.  We'll see.  Cheers friends!

Hamer1.jpg

Hamer2.jpg

Hamer3.jpg

Archived