Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Friedman Warranty Service Review

LucSulla

Yes, I know I'm a fanboy, but I'm going to try to keep this objective and try to write something useful.

Back in August, my amp, mid-gig,  lost half its power.  Tone and everything stayed fine, it just was about half as loud as it should be.  The next day, I did all the usual troubleshooting - cables, tubes, jumpers, etc. - with no luck.  

I contacted Dave via email;  he's the guy who responds to [email protected] when you email.  Nashville was the nearest authorized repair shop, so I opted to just mail it to him.  I packaged the head in a large Home Depot Box with my receipt from Sweetwater and a note about the issue.  Shipping to L.A. was $94.  

He signed for the delivery on Aug. 30.  I figured it would take awhile for him to get to it, so I waited for an email to find out the problem and discuss shipping.  Sept. 6, I notice I have a package coming back, and Sept. 10 it arrives on my doorstep fixed.  

I emailed him and asked him what the problem was.  He said it was a bad pot and that he tweaked a couple of other things in there while he was at it.  No charge for return shipping, work was all covered by the warranty.  

I'll have owned the amp for three years in December. 

I suppose some might quibble about having to pay for the outgoing shipping, but I'm fine with it.  $100 to have a three-year-old amp fixed and then some by the guy whose name is on it and have it back on my doorstep in 10 days is fine by me.  And to be fair, maybe had I asked, they would have covered that it.  I felt the warranty was adequately serviced without getting into it myself.

Overall, I was really satisfied with the whole experience. 

14 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

Yes, I know I'm a fanboy, but I'm going to try to keep this objective and try to write something useful.

Back in August, my amp, mid-gig,  lost half its power.  Tone and everything stayed fine, it just was about half as loud as it should be.  The next day, I did all the usual troubleshooting - cables, tubes, jumpers, etc. - with no luck.  

I contacted Dave via email;  he's the guy who responds to [email protected] when you email.  Nashville was the nearest authorized repair shop, so I opted to just mail it to him.  I packaged the head in a large Home Depot Box with my receipt from Sweetwater and a note about the issue.  Shipping to L.A. was $94.  

He signed for the delivery on Aug. 30.  I figured it would take awhile for him to get to it, so I waited for an email to find out the problem and discuss shipping.  Sept. 6, I notice I have a package coming back, and Sept. 10 it arrives on my doorstep fixed.  

I emailed him and asked him what the problem was.  He said it was a bad pot and that he tweaked a couple of other things in there while he was at it.  No charge for return shipping, work was all covered by the warranty.  

I'll have owned the amp for three years in December. 

I suppose some might quibble about having to pay for the outgoing shipping, but I'm fine with it.  $100 to have a three-year-old amp fixed and then some by the guy whose name is on it and have it back on my doorstep in 10 days is fine by me.  And to be fair, maybe had I asked, they would have covered that it.  I felt the warranty was adequately serviced without getting into it myself.

Overall, I was really satisfied with the whole experience. 

Fantastic. What’s the warranty on the Friedman amps anyway?  I think I remember Dave saying one time it was like 3 months for tubes, but not sure what everything else falls under. 

8 minutes ago, Travis said:

Fantastic. What’s the warranty on the Friedman amps anyway?  I think I remember Dave saying one time it was like 3 months for tubes, but not sure what everything else falls under. 

AMPLIFIERS: Friedman offers a limited lifetime warranty to the original purchaser that a Friedman amplifier will be free from defects in material and workmanship. A dated sales receipt will establish coverage under this warranty, PLEASE KEEP YOUR PROOF OF PURCHASE TO USE YOUR WARRANTY. This warranty does not cover service or parts to repair damage caused by accident, neglect, abuse, normal & wear, disaster, misuse, abuse, overpowering, negligence, inadequate packing or shipping procedures and service, repair or any modifications to the product which have not been authorized or approved by Friedman in writing. ANY MODIFICATION TO THE AMPLIFIER WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. If this product is defective in materials or workmanship as warranted above, your sole remedy shall be repair or replacement by Friedman as provided below.

Per the website.  It does say in there that you have to pay to ship it to them, so I'd say he did exactly what that warranty said he would do.  In fact, there are a couple of steps mentioned about return authorization numbers and so on that he didn't even bother with. 

He tweaked a couple of things while he was in there?  Sounds like a warranty voiding mod to me.  🤣  Seriously though, Dave seems cool about dealing with stuff.  During shutdowns on the ToneTalk YT show, he'd tell people to email him and send him stuff since he had free time.    

My only beef is the whole Boutique Amps Distro thing.  He seems to be the main driver of that, but they seem to obscure who the actual owners are.  Their website only links to the companies they manufacture for and only actually says they distribute for them.  I'd think they'd want to shout from the rooftops that they have Dave and Wampler and these other company founders behind it.   

8 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Per the website.  It does say in there that you have to pay to ship it to them, so I'd say he did exactly what that warranty said he would do.  In fact, there are a couple of steps mentioned about return authorization numbers and so on that he didn't even bother with. 

Awesome. I’ve listened to almost all of the tone talk pod casts and Dave seems like a stand up guy when it comes to backing his products. 

I’m guessing the few “tweaks” he did to your amp wouldn’t constitute “mods” and your warranty is still intact. 😜

Love the sound of the Friedman amps I’ve heard n clips but have only had the chance to play a Pink Taco combo in person. My brother recently picked up a Runt 20 head so I need it get over to his place and try it out. 

2 minutes ago, scottcald said:

He tweaked a couple of things while he was in there?  Sounds like a warranty voiding mod to me.  🤣  Seriously though, Dave seems cool about dealing with stuff.  During shutdowns on the ToneTalk YT show, he'd tell people to email him and send him stuff since he had free time.    

Ha!  Jinx….

Friedman is a great guy. I somehow made it into a Facebook group where he posts somewhat regularly, including some amps he has lying around that he sells. He knows his stuff.

I wonder how production is doing now for the company that makes his amps, Boutique Amp Distribution. They had that fire next door that flooded their facility a while back, and I never heard if everything was back to normal.

2 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Friedman is a great guy. I somehow made it into a Facebook group where he posts somewhat regularly, including some amps he has lying around that he sells. He knows his stuff.

I wonder how production is doing now for the company that makes his amps, Boutique Amp Distribution. They had that fire next door that flooded their facility a while back, and I never heard if everything was back to normal.

Not back to normal yet. Still playing catch-up to fulfill orders. Last I heard; they had a good amount of stock sitting around waiting for cabs and a couple of other minor parts that are on massive delays from their suppliers. 

5 hours ago, topekatj said:

RE Tweaks: How does it sound compared to before ‘the issue’ occurred?

Sounds as good as ever.  Mine was from early in the run, so maybe there's some stuff he just likes better than when he put it out.  Also could just be fixing another couple of areas where they have been receiving warranty work.  Not sure.  I liked it before and like it now though.  That Buxom Betty clean channel on it is really underrated.  

Archived