Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Show off your spruce tops!

Travis

The wife and I took a trip up to Alaska earlier this month. Walking through some trails in Sitka, she commented on how much she loved the spruce trees. Seemed like a sign that I should get a guitar with a spruce top to commemorate our trip…. 😉

Show off your spruce top guitars: Monaco’s, Newport’s, Duotones, etc. It’s the Hamer Fan Club so Hamers get preference but feel free to toss in other brands if you like. I know there’s a Shishkov or two with spruce out there as well. 

Let’s see what you got!

19 minutes ago, cynic said:

Seventy Seven Albatross Jazz

Spruce Top.jpg

I'll include this shot with the redwood version just because it has the same Gravelin's as the Shishkov above.

IMG_8035 copy.jpg

Ooh…. I’m not familiar with Seventy Seven guitars. Those both look fantastic!  What are the necks like on those?

I have a couple of early-mid '80's solid spruce-top USA-made Ovation Acoustic Balladeers (no factory piezo, circuit, or 9-volt battery to mess with), they're kinda rare as previous owners (including me) haven't done anything stoopid to them like keep them in a hot car for an entire summer, or bring them in from being kept in sub-zero temperatures and open the case in a warm room; so they're crack- and warp-free so far.  They're plenty loud when I want them to be, and project like an intrusive relative when played hard, and I can vary the sound/tone just by switching to different gauges and types of picks.  They work for me just fine.  B) 

The only electric spruce topped guitar I've ever owned was a Newport, now long gone.  However, most of my acoustics have Sitka Spruce tops, although I will admit I'm partial to the Adirondack Spruce topped guitars in my collection.

These two are both Sitka

spacer.png

1 minute ago, soli'd said:

My former 2008 Newport Pro (which now resides in a beautiful setting in BC), and the Shishkov that replaced it.

7v5xeVGl.jpg cPoHK9ll.jpg

that would be in my top 5 Shishkovs that I have seen . It just looks right, not a curve out of place. 

Archived