Hamer Fan Club Message Center

how much more are you willing to pay if the "Hamer" comes with a case?

neastguy

or do you not care that much?  I'm probably going to be putting one of my Hamers up on the chopping block.. it didnt come with a case.. but I do have a case for one of my other Hamers I could use..  In all fairness I never gig with a case.. so its not that big of a deal if I give up the case... Im just wondering what the general consensus is on how important a Hamer case is... 

thanks

on a side note.. I can see if it were a Standard you would def. want the case

1 hour ago, neastguy said:

I'm probably going to be putting one of my Hamers up on the chopping block.. it didnt come with a case.. but I do have a case for one of my other Hamers I could use.. 

What model guitar?  Just so we know what we're dealing with here?
Could be someone wants that guitar and doesn't care about a case, or someone might have a spare case.

A Blitz Bass or Scarab Bass needs its original case, or someone will have to spend a lot of time looking for something else that fits.  As for putting a price on the case or lack of a case, I dunno. 

If a Special or Sunburst is in an unbranded case it does not matter that much to me. 

11 minutes ago, neastguy said:

its the guitar in my avatar..  a brown special

Ok - I think a lot of guitar guys would have a spare Les Paul -shaped case kicking around, and if not they're as common as guitar cases come. If one had to buy one, it wouldn't be a lot of money.
It shouldn't impact your sale price very much.  $100 tops.

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

Ok - I think a lot of guitar guys would have a spare Les Paul -shaped case kicking around, and if not they're as common as guitar cases come. If one had to buy one, it wouldn't be a lot of money.
It shouldn't impact your sale price very much.  $100 tops.

THIS ^^

There aren't a lot of legitimate reasons a Hamer should be selling without an OHSC. Whether or not you bought it with a OHSC, why is it missing now? A Gibson or Fender sells with gig bag these days, but a Hamer NEVER sold without a OHSC. "$100 tops"? Fuck that. Better make it $200 minimum, if you want to sell me a Hamer with no case. Yeah, you can buy a case to fit for `$100-ish, but it just isn't the same. Gig bags suck. YMMV.

ETA: These thoughts are based on a DC style guitar... Prices for special styles like V's, Standards, etc. are compounded.

I am always saddened by sellers that part the OHSC case and the guitar.  I do not like buying the guitar without the OHSC.   Unless it is super rare, why should I bother, when I can wait for the same model with the case?  The fact that expensive Fenders come with gig bags now makes me want to barf.  Cheap, cheap, cheap!

I bought it used years ago and he said it didnt come with a HSC.. I didnt really care because I never gig with hard cases..  I'm a believer in gig bags if you actually gig..  if you are going on tour now that is a different story.  Ever see a hard case fall over.. I think your neck is more likely to snap rather than if a soft case falls over.. YMMV   nuff said....

I think having the ohsc is more likely that the person took care of it... but not sure I'd pay a premium other

than the cost to replace it.   

re: GC     Once had a Gibson custom shop explorer ship from GC without a case... arrived in perfect shape, when

I called they looked for it and in 5 minutes,  found it.       why would the clerk pack an expensive wierdly shaped guitar

and not think about the case case?    BTW:  their inventory system for cases is totally f-d up.   once bought a Fender 

American Vintage reissue with a case... didn't get it.   They looked up in the system, the guitar had been bought and 

returned five times, they had no way to see where the case was...  

6 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

I am always saddened by sellers that part the OHSC case and the guitar.  I do not like buying the guitar without the OHSC.   Unless it is super rare, why should I bother, when I can wait for the same model with the case?  The fact that expensive Fenders come with gig bags now makes me want to barf.  Cheap, cheap, cheap!

if I could get a fender style guitar new for $250 cheaper w/0 a case I'd go for that...   seriously all my cases are stacked up in a corner and never used..   especially with a fender style guitar..(gibson style with the neck angle I could see more justification) now if you are a collector its a different story  IMO

9 hours ago, DaveH said:

There aren't a lot of legitimate reasons a Hamer should be selling without an OHSC. Whether or not you bought it with a OHSC, why is it missing now? A Gibson or Fender sells with gig bag these days, but a Hamer NEVER sold without a OHSC. "$100 tops"? Fuck that. Better make it $200 minimum, if you want to sell me a Hamer with no case. Yeah, you can buy a case to fit for `$100-ish, but it just isn't the same. Gig bags suck. YMMV.

ETA: These thoughts are based on a DC style guitar... Prices for special styles like V's, Standards, etc. are compounded.

This morning, and with a clearer head, this sounded a bit rough... Sorry.

I guess what I should have said is I won't pay a premium for Hamer including a case (which was the original point of the thread), but I will deduct it from what I would pay for a Hamer with a missing OHSC. YMMV.

Like several others here, I'd expect a $100 discount on a Special/Sunburst/Studio sans case.  Probably the same for an S-or T-style bolt-on like a Diablo, Centaura, Daytona, etc. I'd really need to be interested in a particular guitar, as I'm always suspicious of any guitar that came with a HSC that somehow got separated from said HSC.  I'd certainly be more forgiving if the guitar was exceptionally rare and very old. 

I'll amend my comments somewhat to say that's more of a guitar's provenance I'm automatically suspicious of when it's listed for sale and is in pristine condition, but with the OHSC nowhere in sight.  A bandmate of mine had his '94 Studio stolen from the stage after a gig at The Attic in Greenville after he'd only had it a year.  He still has the OHSC, as far as I know, but the guitar never showed up again. 

Archived