Hamer Fan Club Message Center

how much more are you willing to pay if the "Hamer" comes with a case?

neastguy

19 hours ago, RobB said:

How do you know?

OK. You asked for it. I 

A few years ago I heard about a '97 Standard for sale. It was in a town down the ocean from me and the seller couldn't sell it there but was reluctant to ship because he didn't have a case for it. Having never owned a Standard I was all excited and made several overtures to try to convince him. Eventually he agreed to sell to me if I sent him a case to ship it in. I'd all ready asked here, there and everywhere for a USA Standard case but couldn't find one. So I bought an SKB case from a big box store. It was made for an Explorer, and I thought should fit a Standard. I thought that would give him a safe case for the guitar and a box to ship it in too. It was advertised with "Free Shipping" so that was supposed to cover the 1st leg of the trip. Turned out it was "Free Shipping" except to Juneau Ak. So I wrestled with them for a while and they agreed to send the case USPS ground at my expense. Which really means USPS water, and the barge had problems with weather so took almost a month to get there. Seller was losing interest. He said the box the case came in was all f'd up and he didn't want to ship the guitar that way. Also the guitar didn't fit the case! The cutout for the selector switch was wrong and he was afraid it would break the switch. Didn't hear from him for about 3 weeks. Eventually we worked it out. I had him unscrew the switch and let it go into the body ( I had to move the hole over a little to get it to fit) and he rebuilt the shipping box and sent it on up to me. Great guitar. Lot's of rock and fun to play. Too big for me. Moved it on pretty quickly. 

Cost of the guitar- very reasonable for that time.

Cost of case and shipping adjusted to 2021-way more than it was worth.

Conclusion- IF A USA STANDARD DOESN'T HAVE IT'S OHSC -$500.00

I did end up with a story not worth the time it takes to tell. 

On 9/22/2021 at 4:16 AM, neastguy said:

I'm a believer in gig bags if you actually gig..  if you are going on tour now that is a different story.  Ever see a hard case fall over.. I think your neck is more likely to snap rather than if a soft case falls over.. YMMV   nuff said....

I tend to worry less about a guitar in a case falling over than someone in rush to get home quickly after a gig stacking things on a soft case or fitting it somewhere in a space where the guitar might end up bearing a load - for instance, you slam on the brakes and a wayward old SP2 is now being held up by an instrument. 

I've never had a headstock snap from a case falling over, but I've ended up with stuff that shouldn't have been there piled on top of my guitar.

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

FedEx and UPS can show you how it's done.

In the past 6 months, EVERY FedEx package to land here has been beat. to. fuck. It was bad before but now it's like they're playing rugby with every box. Luckily - so far - the contents has been unscathed, but that can only last for so long.

15 hours ago, LucSulla said:

I tend to worry less about a guitar in a case falling over than someone in rush to get home quickly after a gig stacking things on a soft case or fitting it somewhere in a space where the guitar might end up bearing a load - for instance, you slam on the brakes and a wayward old SP2 is now being held up by an instrument. 

I've never had a headstock snap from a case falling over, but I've ended up with stuff that shouldn't have been there piled on top of my guitar.

My gear is always in my car in a dual mono bag..  so I pack it myself so I dont have to worry about stuff like that.. ..  but yeah if someone else is handling your gear and tossing in the back of a van.. I'd want want to use hard case too ...

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Actually, you reinforced the knowledge of Standards needed their specific cases instead of Explorer cases. 

The case fit the guitar pretty well. Only issue was the cut out for the switch was off. I moved it over about an inch.

100_2677 - Copy.JPG

Archived