Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Why do I want an SG?

Ting Ho Dung

Had a dream in the wee hours of the morning that I was at Guitar Center wandering around a bunch of foldout tables. On the tables was a bunch of junk including rotten slabs of ground beef. I was smelling the ground beef and wondering why they were trying to sell rotten meat. But then I found a beat up SG husk for $79. It had remnants of a white paint job. There was also a girl in there who either was or wanted to be my girlfriend. I picked up the husk and realized I had the parts at home to put it together and figured it would come in under 9 pounds and thought that was heavy for a SG. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because you have good taste in music, and Cream, Duane Allman, Carlos Santana, and Angus Young had to be on to something! ...and if you never fantasized about swinging one around like Pete Townsend at the end of an epic set, you never had rock n roll daydreams.

SG fantasies - even the smashing variety - are mandatory for every guitarist of a certain age.

I have a rule, if I sell a guitar I don't buy it back. I broke that rule this year when I bought back the 61 SG Reissue I sold last year. I found myself looking at SG's again and low and behold mine showed up for sale. I reached out the seller remembered me and sold it back to me for the exact same price I sold it to him. I was very thankful for that. 

I found Les Pauls to just to too full sounding, the SG's to my ears just have more spanky top end, and a more focused bottom end. The most even sounding guitar all the way up the neck that I've had. 

I have been contemplating buying another but this time an SG Special or Jr. 

1kUcbAO.jpg

Shiner beer company in Texas had a handful of 2013 61RIs built that we’re customized with a Shiner logo on the pick guard and a bottle opener on the face. The few ounces added by having the chrome bottle opener evens out the neck dive and it balances PERFECTLY. AND Gibson snobs won’t touch them bc of the inexcusable offense of having a bottle opener on it so I got it for a song LOL.

I upgraded with graphite saddles and use it with my ABB tribute act, Soulshine, and it Rules 🤘😎

(Stock photo for reference)

https://images.app.goo.gl/dzqHmU8t9DmGdNw9A

Still pine for my former SG Diablo. About 6 months ago I saw it up for sale on Reverb and elsewhere for easily double what I sold it for. I couldn't bring myself pony up that much scratch given I had invested (and lost) about $300 in upgrades over what it cost me new. :(

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 6.55.25 AM.png

13 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

I have been contemplating buying another but this time an SG Special or Jr. 

JUNIOR! JUNIOR! JUNIOR!

I played around with an SG Junior for a little bit last year and was really impressed with how much bite and articulation it had. 

1 hour ago, bubs_42 said:

I really like my early 2000’s LPJR with the 60’s neck

I have long held the opinion that Gibson's Juniors and Specials (love my early 90s LP Special) represent the best value and are the best guitars in their production line until you get up to the CS R-line. 90s Classics rock, too.

6 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

I really like my early 2000’s LPJR with the 60’s neck

LIKED, I sold that one here on the HFC after I received Shishkov #0070. Josh had wound me like 3 pickups for that guitar. The last one had had three stages, Vintage, Vintage Hot, and Hotrodded P90. 

On 9/23/2021 at 3:22 AM, geoff_hartwell said:

Shiner beer company in Texas had a handful of 2013 61RIs built that we’re customized with a Shiner logo on the pick guard and a bottle opener on the face. The few ounces added by having the chrome bottle opener evens out the neck dive and it balances PERFECTLY. AND Gibson snobs won’t touch them bc of the inexcusable offense of having a bottle opener on it so I got it for a song LOL.

I upgraded with graphite saddles and use it with my ABB tribute act, Soulshine, and it Rules 🤘😎

NICE! But shouldn’t the tribute band be called Soul-Shiner?

On 9/22/2021 at 4:22 AM, Ting Ho Dung said:

Had a dream in the wee hours of the morning that I was at Guitar Center wandering around a bunch of foldout tables. On the tables was a bunch of junk including rotten slabs of ground beef. I was smelling the ground beef and wondering why they were trying to sell rotten meat. But then I found a beat up SG husk for $79. It had remnants of a white paint job. There was also a girl in there who either was or wanted to be my girlfriend. I picked up the husk and realized I had the parts at home to put it together and figured it would come in under 9 pounds and thought that was heavy for a SG. 

So, considering the ‘rotting meat’ smell, was the husk the girl or a guitar?

On 9/23/2021 at 5:22 AM, geoff_hartwell said:

Nice!  That guitar would fit in nicely for a gig at Bob's Country Bunker.  B)  I've been tempted sometimes to put a vintage Starr 'X' bottle opener on a 'rustic'-style Tele body, but the extra height/width of the opener kinda messes up finding a case to fit the guitar.

On 9/23/2021 at 8:38 AM, Travis said:

JUNIOR! JUNIOR! JUNIOR!

I played around with an SG Junior for a little bit last year and was really impressed with how much bite and articulation it had. 

image1 - Copy.jpeg

I have had 4 SGs....................2 Customs, I LOVE the look and sound of these guitars. But alas I have never been able to bond with them...........................much like the Telecaster.

Archived