Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Show me your Monaco!

Travis

Ok…. I’m on a Monaco kick currently. Thinking I want to add one to my stable. Post pics of yours and tell me what you like/dislike about them…

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so I am late to the Hamer game, I got back into guitars in 2012. One of the first guitars I read up on was an M iii . Tonequest report with Kiz friend Jol, I was agagga. Couldn't afford one, way out of my league. I got an Artist. Then I was looking a couple years later, couldn't afford one. Got a Newport. Then I really loved the Monaco model. Couldn't really afford one. Put money down on my Shishkov. Then I got a bass and a T51 (both gone), and the Monaco was still too much. Each time they came in reasonably priced, I had just spent my cash. But dang. If I'm gonna spend that much money, I'm getting a Shishkov, which 0101 is a mashup of my best Monaco things and other nicieties of the Hamer past. Still kinda regret not getting one though. 25.5 scale beauties!

I never could find a Monaco at a 'budget friendly' price either, so I eventually picked up a couple of used Godin Icon Type 2s instead for a decent price, not long after Godin discontinued them and went to the similar 'improved' Summit models:

https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/news/godin-reinvents-an-icon-type-2-and-3-models

I like 'em!  Though I wouldn't necessarily turn down a USA Monaco at a price I could afford.  Now all I need is a 'Canadian Tuxedo' to go with the Godins for jazz gigs ;):

https://www.crfashionbook.com/fashion/a27240012/national-denim-day-canadian-tuxedo-history/

BTW, the photo of Elvis in the article isn't of him wearing denim; he's wearing U.S. Army fatigues with Sergeant's stripes, name and service branch 'tapes' over the pockets, and his unit patch on the shoulder...in other words, it's not a 'mug shot', it's an Army I.D. photo.  :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, crunchee said:

I never could find a Monaco at a 'budget friendly' price either, so I eventually picked up a couple of used Godin Icon Type 2s instead for a decent price, not long after Godin discontinued them and went to the similar 'improved' Summit models:

https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/news/godin-reinvents-an-icon-type-2-and-3-models

I like 'em!  Though I wouldn't necessarily turn down a USA Monaco at a price I could afford.  Now all I need is a 'Canadian Tuxedo' to go with the Godins for jazz gigs ;):

https://www.crfashionbook.com/fashion/a27240012/national-denim-day-canadian-tuxedo-history/

BTW, the photo of Elvis in the article isn't of him wearing denim; he's wearing U.S. Army fatigues with Sergeant's stripes, name and service branch 'tapes' over the pockets, and his unit patch on the shoulder...in other words, it's not a 'mug shot', it's an Army I.D. photo.  :rolleyes:

Ooh…. The type 3 looks pretty sweet, actually. 

3 minutes ago, crunchee said:

The Type 3 is probably the most popular model of Godin's Icon; but unfortunately, most of them have a hefty price tag even in used condition too.

Yeah, just looked them up on reverb. Saw one for $1050 and one for $1850…

For close to $2k is probably go ahead and hold out for a Monaco…. 😉

Hamer Monaco Goldtop.JPG

Pictures you want? Well, this is a one off special order, working off the SuperPro. You can see the upgrades, inc the f holes and binding. Also, Lollar Imperial pickups. Korina body and neck. Ebony.

If push ever came to shove, I think it would be the last Hamer I would ever let go. cannot quite say it beats out my Rietbergen, but it is right up there.

Hamer Monaco Goldtop2.JPGHamer Monaco Goldtop3.JPGld

Hamer Monaco Goldtop5.JPG

57 minutes ago, django49 said:

Hamer Monaco Goldtop.JPG

Pictures you want? Well, this is a one off special order, working off the SuperPro. You can see the upgrades, inc the f holes and binding. Also, Lollar Imperial pickups. Korina body and neck. Ebony.

If push ever came to shove, I think it would be the last Hamer I would ever let go. cannot quite say it beats out my Rietbergen, but it is right up there.

Hamer Monaco Goldtop2.JPGHamer Monaco Goldtop3.JPGld

Hamer Monaco Goldtop5.JPG

Oh, sweet Jesus…. That’s amazing. And a gold top…. 🤤🤤🤤

So, built off a super pro, it’s got a maple top instead of spruce, then?  And Korina…. Oof….  I understand it’s your last one out. Which means I’ve got time to put away the funds for my dibs…. 

20210721_112303.jpg.fd992c5221d43dd6cf5fc79c5b4ae692.jpg20210722_104004.jpg.fcc64469de4ebc40888bb0a1adc1f7b2.jpgPartscaster; LP Special (Custom Shop Edition); Monaco SuperPro; '91 Sunburst Archtop; '01 Artist Custom

I never thought I'd find a Superpro I could afford, but thanks to Camstone I now have one in my favorite finish (I swear the Superpro was designed with Jazzburst in mind). If you want one, be patient, and if you stalk the right people on here, one will appear!

As for what I love and what I don't, well... nothing feels or sounds like a chambered big-body in 25.5, and it's just got curves and bumps in all the right places (so sexy, just holding it is satisfying)! The only thing I don't love is that I catch myself staring at it for extended periods and have to pinch myself to snap out of it and plug in (talk about a 1st-world problem)!

Bottom line: Don't settle for less! Everyone should experience a Monaco (especially a Superpro) at some point because they have no equal! Like the best Les Paul had a baby with an L5 with only the best qualities of each!

1 hour ago, joshoowah said:

20210721_112303.jpg.fd992c5221d43dd6cf5fc79c5b4ae692.jpg20210722_104004.jpg.fcc64469de4ebc40888bb0a1adc1f7b2.jpgPartscaster; LP Special (Custom Shop Edition); Monaco SuperPro; '91 Sunburst Archtop; '01 Artist Custom

I never thought I'd find a Superpro I could afford, but thanks to Camstone I now have one in my favorite finish (I swear the Superpro was designed with Jazzburst in mind). If you want one, be patient, and if you stalk the right people on here, one will appear!

As for what I love and what I don't, well... nothing feels or sounds like a chambered big-body in 25.5, and it's just got curves and bumps in all the right places (so sexy, just holding it is satisfying)! The only thing I don't love is that I catch myself staring at it for extended periods and have to pinch myself to snap out of it and plug in (talk about a 1st-world problem)!

Bottom line: Don't settle for less! Everyone should experience a Monaco (especially a Superpro) at some point because they have no equal! Like the best Les Paul had a baby with an L5 with only the best qualities of each!

Jazzburst is also one of my all time favorite Hamer finishes. Thanks for the info and the advice. I’ve been telling myself recently not to settle. I’d like to think I’ve earned the privilege to play nice guitars. 

6 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Back off Sparky, I called dibs on that years ago :lol:

I should put this into perspective. When I say "last one out," I am thinking in terms of what someone else will do when I am gone from the scene. And I appreciate the comment (that had not occurred to me) about what happened if an LP and an L5 mated.

I have had many Monaco variations pass through my hands, including a "regular", 3 M iiis, 4 or 5 Elites and at least 3 Supers. Left are this one and a Goldtop Elite, that with upgraded P90s. I have talked many times about my dearly departed original '56 LP. Loved it for nearly 2 decades. Never played them side by side, but I am convinced the Hamer is the better of the two, in every way except collector value. I may be deluding myself, but it is also not going anywhere.

My only hesitation (re the SuperPro) would be if one of two very special builders would ever agree to build something that added a few little tweaks to my taste. As of now, that is not on the horizon. And I am not overly excited about buying anything more now. Though there IS one very particular guitar and one specific amp I ponder from time to time.......Both a bit more than I am comfortable with paying today.

Strangely enough, this CO was posted for sale here for a LONG time. I finally bought it and was quite sure I overpaid. Until I lived with it a while. Au contraire mon frère. Same thing happened when I posted that lovely blonde Miii.....Sat for a long time. No sooner than I sold it than multiple folks lamented the lost chance. Live and learn.

This is not my pic, but I am 99.9% sure this is my Monaco III that I bought from Feynman (including a mandatory fish in the case).

y4mCFP9SAGLsbsnPZ_Tpzfyj_Hajp47Qcv7cCnKZ

Here is my SuperPro. Lots of mids in this beast. Just changed string gauge on it to from 10's to 0.095 and that's just right for this guitar. 

y4mExSQaseh10eVMJKCLuCwJcCysghUGHP_dCyDa

6 minutes ago, Disturber said:

This is not my pic, but I am 99.9% sure this is my Monaco III that I bought from Feynman (including a mandatory fish in the case).

y4mCFP9SAGLsbsnPZ_Tpzfyj_Hajp47Qcv7cCnKZ

Here is my SuperPro. Lots of mids in this beast. Just changed string gauge on it to from 10's to 0.095 and that's just right for this guitar. 

y4mExSQaseh10eVMJKCLuCwJcCysghUGHP_dCyDa

LOVE that III!!!

1 hour ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

I regretted selling my first so bought this one that came up available a few weeks ago. The only thing I didn't like about it was the shiny hardware so all that went in a drawer. 

mon_el.jpg

Hate chrome!  Nickel with a little bit of tarnish is the best!!!

12 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

I like to throw on some dust too.

Dust in your home is about 20%-50% dead human skin cells. Gotta put a little bit of yourself into your guitars. Otherwise; what’s the point…?

This thread really impresses upon me that the Monaco family is really much bigger an more varie than most of the other Hamer line up.

Love seeing them all!

Archived