Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Show me your Monaco!

Travis

15 minutes ago, wil50n said:

2003. I'm thinking about changing the pickups for something with less output. I've got a pair of Brierley PAF clones, also eyeing off some Brandondwounds

monel2.jpg

monel1.jpg

My Superpro came to me with SD Alnico II Pros instead of the super-hot Custom/Custom-Custom set, and it just sings! Beautiful example you've got, there!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, wil50n said:

2003. I'm thinking about changing the pickups for something with less output. I've got a pair of Brierley PAF clones, also eyeing off some Brandondwounds

monel2.jpg

monel1.jpg

Looks killer!  I know that the day I finally bring a Monaco home I’ll be opting for lower output PAF-ish pickups myself. 

1 hour ago, wil50n said:

monel2.jpg

monel1.jpg

@zenmindbeginnerinstalled SD Antiquities in mine. I've never been impressed with pickups or pickup swapping or the Custom Custom / Custom combination that comes with the Monaco until I put my hands on these Antiquities. (This may be one reason, other than laziness, why I rarely plug in a humbucker loaded guitar.) These Antiquities are absolutely awesome and very unique. I should clarify that the only pickups I am impressed with are good single coils in a good strat. All the rest of the humbuckers are basically the same to me. I should also state that I've never played a guitar loaded with a Gravelin pickup. Another caveat is that @zenmindbeginnerwaved his majik wand over my Monaco and installed another something special under the hood. Not sure what it is but I can take a picture of it if you want me to barring that it's not a trade secret to Zen. You have a beautiful Monaco. 

1 hour ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Another caveat is that @zenmindbeginnerwaved his majik wand over my Monaco and installed another something special under the hood. Not sure what it is but I can take a picture of it if you want me to barring that it's not a trade secret to Zen. 

Um…. Yes, please. A Monaco with Antiquities + “something special” sounds like it would be damn near perfect…

2 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Ah, Playa Linda. Fond memories. 

We visit Playa Linda almost every December…. 

6ABD24A5-2D74-402F-B904-627FA62117FE.jpeg

On 9/24/2021 at 6:49 PM, django49 said:

Hamer Monaco Goldtop.JPG

Pictures you want? Well, this is a one off special order, working off the SuperPro. You can see the upgrades, inc the f holes and binding. Also, Lollar Imperial pickups. Korina body and neck. Ebony.

If push ever came to shove, I think it would be the last Hamer I would ever let go. cannot quite say it beats out my Rietbergen, but it is right up there.

Hamer Monaco Goldtop2.JPGHamer Monaco Goldtop3.JPGld

Hamer Monaco Goldtop5.JPG

Beautiful, and I’m sure the group would enjoy seeing the back of a korina Monaco.

35 minutes ago, topekatj said:

Beautiful, and I’m sure the group would enjoy seeing the back of a korina Monaco.

Yes. The group would….

With as much interest as has been expressed, this one just might scratch the itch. Not as cheap as they once were, but all things considered.......

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/hamer-monaco-superpro-custom-on-of-a-kind-2100.2291769/

No affiliation.

On 9/26/2021 at 5:37 PM, topekatj said:

I am afraid it would not show much.......The back is finished in a darker red so the wood grain does not really show.

BTW, since their was interest in that guitar, here is something interesting from a conversation earlier today. I am not going to get into the purpose of that conversation just yet, but......You never know---Something COULD get brewing in the near future.....

So, the two bouts are 14 and 10 inches. I am not sure if the internal is exactly standard. There is no center block between the front pickup and the bridge. Part of the reason it is so light (6 3/4 lbs) and airy. The guitar I mentioned as having some similarities (the Huber Riet) is actually MUCH bigger.....15 1/2 and 12 inches, solid center block and 8 lbs. Plus, the back is arched, so it is that much thicker. Lots of air inside. Talk about an L5 and a Les Paul mating! (Actually, an ES-175 is 16 inches, so it is not as large in width and depth as a regular archtop). The biggest sounding guitar I own....Just a monster (in a good way). It also looks and feels BIG. Blows away every ES-335 and similar type I have ever touched. The Hamer is MUCH more comfortable to play., the other a bit more versatile and unique. Both deserve a spot in my music room, nevermind some similarities. Sure am glad I can have one of each!

Back to the Monaco family after a brief detour......

Sorry if that is too much navel gazing....I tend to be overly analytic.....Serves me well for investments. For music, not necessarily so much. Still, I do think there are some things that create a great sound.....So if the "bigger box" analysis floats your boat.....

Certain guitars remind me of high performance cars. Not that I have spent extensive hours on a race track....Just enough to sense what it is about. And I NEVER came close to the outer limit there. (And, obviously, in my guitar playing!) Somehow, that one Hamer (and those other two) makes me appreciate what is possible.

GitchyerselfaMonaco!

And now I shut up......

Archived