Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Covers with cringe-worthy vocals (or musicianship)

DaveH

Title says it, inspired by Tings ‘Miley’ post.

I’ll start. 
- Miley’s ‘Black Dog’ from referenced post.

- Celine Dion’s ‘You Shook Me All Night Long’. Gawd that one was bad.

My pick is this ham handed heavy metal version of Janis Joplin’s piece of heart by Rough Cutt.   Back when majors were handing out deals like candy on the sunset strip.     Not so much the singing but more the lead singers makeup and come hither stare.     Janis would be spinning in her grave.   

5 minutes ago, DaveL said:

My pick is this ham handed heavy metal version of Janis Joplin’s piece of heart by Rough Cutt.   Back when majors were handing out deals like candy on the sunset strip.     Not so much the singing but more the lead singers makeup and come hither stare.     Janis would be spinning in her grave.   

Sounded as badly now as it did then!

Where I live (smallish midwestern city) I'm 10 minutes from the boonies and 30 minutes from the deep boonies.  A place where guitar/gear discussion is limited to "If it ain't a Martin it ain't shit". Now, it doesn't matter if it's rawk, country, metal or old time religion, if you're someplace where music is being served, you have a better than 50-50 chance that you will get yerself assaulted by some of the worst caterwauling you've ever heard.  It may come in the form of somebody's overweight middle aged wife who did enough time in the choir that she got a lead part by default.  It could be some 16 year old who inexplicably found herself in front of a microphone and is country hiccuping her way through the latest hit.  It could also be  the one guy in the band who was fool enough to open his mouth and croak away.  Usually he can carry a tune. Trouble is he's in a different key than everybody else.  It's really glum out this way.

Every version of "Hallelujah" but the original and Jeff Buckley's definitive cover (take your pick between his album and video versions - both were cut live with nothing but his voice and fingerpicked Tele). No one will ever improve on that, but scores insist on trying every year.

I don't think the Miley cover had either cringe worthy vocals or bad musicianship. 

Who ever gave Metallica the idea to celebrate The Black Album with like 10 CDs of cover versions of the album should be shot. I only found like three, four versions that I could stand when I skipped through. Watta buncha crap. Morrons.

Not necessary cringe worthy vocals or bad musicianship here either. Just a big YAWN. Like "why"? The Miley cover is one of the good ones, fwiw.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/metallica-black-album-blacklist-1221964/

7 minutes ago, stobro said:

Pat Boone - In a Metal Mood (album)

Now THAT is funny......I was at a black tie fundraiser at a Beverly Hills hotel many years ago.......He got up on stage and did "Enter Sandman" wearing black leather pants and jacket  over a bare and deeply tanned chest. I think I may have been the only one in the ballroom that got the lyrics. Sure fit into the theme of raising money for chidren's causes! The other folks at our table wondered why I was cracking up.

3 hours ago, joshoowah said:

Every version of "Hallelujah" but the original and Jeff Buckley's definitive cover (take your pick between his album and video versions - both were cut live with nothing but his voice and fingerpicked Tele). No one will ever improve on that, but scores insist on trying every year.

Buckley's was definitely great. I'm a Leonard Cohen fan though. The original still manages to get the fur on my neck to stand straight today. Granted Leonard's vocals are an acquired taste, but as a composer and arranger his music is otherworldly!

6 hours ago, DaveL said:

I'm sooo glad that era is over. It kinda spun out and hit the ditch on that cover!!!

2 hours ago, stobro said:

Pat Boone - In a Metal Mood (album)

I almost ended up playing on that album. My manager at the time thought it was a "great idea".- the better idea ended up being changing management companies.

57 minutes ago, svl said:

I almost ended up playing on that album. My manager at the time thought it was a "great idea".- the better idea ended up being changing management companies.

I have that cd. If you had played on it I could’ve had you sign it for me…

27 minutes ago, Travis said:

I have that cd. If you had played on it I could’ve had you sign it for me…

To be fair, Pat was a pretty awesome guy and was very nice on the few occasions I got to hang with him. I kinda wish I had done it but I was even more of an ass then than I am now. After that disc came out they talked about a second album and contacted me again, but it fell through.

A cooler opp that I was totally into but also fell apart before it happened- my manager also worked with David Cassidy, and he wanted to do some heavy shit. I went to lunch with him a couple times and had some interesting discussions, but they never got it out of the development stages. I LOVE the Partridge Family and was psyched, then super bummed when it didn't materialize.

My autobiography is entitled "AND THEN I ALMOST...". My longtime touring bassist loves the title, because he knows I'll never finish it. To quote Alanis, isn't that ironic...

17 hours ago, DaveH said:

- Celine Dion’s ‘You Shook Me All Night Long’. Gawd that one was bad.

When that first aired (pre internet/texting) I got at least 5 phone calls saying "Dude, you gotta see this horse shit." Now while I have never been a Celine fan at all the lady most definitely has vocal chops and the band that was backing her that night didn't get that gig because they suck BUT, that shit absolutely did not "rock".

Opposite of all that with bad vocals and weak musicianship is Shonen Knife's cover of "Heat Wave", I love it though. 😄

Little-known fact: Pat Boone did a quasi-endorsement for Melobar, of all things. Happened following John Selby Smith's midwifery for the Boone's dog when it was having puppies. John Selby is the son of Melobar inventor/founder Walt Smith.

LO-403 Pat+Boone.jpg

2 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

Little-known fact: Pat Boone did a quasi-endorsement for Melobar, of all things. Happened following John Selby Smith's midwifery for the Boone's dog when it was having puppies. John Selby is the son of Melobar inventor/founder Walt Smith.

LO-403 Pat+Boone.jpg

The ducks are nice.

Archived