Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Lunch Box Sized Amp Head Recommendation

rugby1970

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reason Bambino if you want tube. The modes that aren't stacked can get you fender tones. Stacked gets very close to an old Marshall.

Quilter is pretty good. I've had several. Overdrive 202 can get me Dumble/Fender SRV kind of tones

27 minutes ago, golem said:

Reason Bambino if you want tube. The modes that aren't stacked can get you fender tones. Stacked gets very close to an old Marshall.

Quilter is pretty good. I've had several. Overdrive 202 can get me Dumble/Fender SRV kind of tones

Your not going to find one of those for $500 anymore. 

Egnater Tweaker

Laney Cub, or LC Head

Peavey Classic 30, skip the 20. 

Crate Blue Voodoo 50, short head, just put a 12at7 in V1 to cut the annoying the fuzzy gain. 

Oh and how could I forget the Crate Club Head, I have a combo sitting here that needs some love. My fall project is to put a speaker back in it and retube it. Same thing 12at7 in V1 and its a classic rock machine that will take pedals very well, not that you'll need it. 

The older Crate amps were designed by Obied Khan that designed the Reason and Khan Pak amps. He backs his design of the Voodoo and Club amps, but has said that after the designs left him they went to penny pinchers before projection. 

4 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Oh and how could I forget the Crate Club Head, I have a combo sitting here that needs some love. My fall project is to put a speaker back in it and retube it. Same thing 12at7 in V1 and its a classic rock machine that will take pedals very well, not that you'll need it. 

The older Crate amps were designed by Obied Khan that designed the Reason and Khan Pak amps. He backs his design of the Voodoo and Club amps, but has said that after the designs left him they went to penny pinchers before projection. 

Also Khan designed the newer Magnatones...

Which version of the crate club? Pics!! Please

20 hours ago, mudshark said:

TC Electronics BAM 200 ... bass head but great for guitar ... 200 watts of clean tone ... not much bigger than a stompbox ... $169 at Sweetwater

I am using this w/ my Pod Go and various cabs, fits in my gigbag.

If you want plug & play, +1 on the superchamp. Mesa mini recto (pricey), or Peavey classic 20 head also served me well.

The Super Champ X2 (begrudgingly) is a fine amp. You really can't go wrong with that one either. 

I spent 4 hours yesterday with a friend and his buddy. They were both playing Boss Waza Amps, they sounded great, but IMHO they are throw away amps. Nobody is going to work on them, this is going to happen, so you chuck it and buy another one. 

I'm getting old, I actually said this yesterday. " Huh, if I have to whip out my phone to scroll through my amp settings I'M OUT!". 

On 10/15/2021 at 8:08 PM, hamerhead said:

Tiny and Fender-ish? If you don't need tubes, the Quilter stuff is incredible.

I have a Quilter Superblock US on order. It will run a cab just fine. Not a lunchbox though as it is a pedal.

7 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

I have a Quilter Superblock US on order. It will run a cab just fine. Not a lunchbox though as it is a pedal.

FWIW, Quilter has a new Mach 3 on the way. Available in head format.....More or less like having both the USA and Brit versions of the Superblock pedals, plus a bit of "D-tone" in a 2 channel format. Fully tricked out with all the Q features like master, limiter, gain boost, rev, trem AND 200 watts. I am looking forward to trying the ability to blend the channels to mix/match two different amp voicings.

For sure it IS solid state, but I have been very impressed with the tone and quality of every Q product I have tried.

https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/product/mach-3-head

Might be too much. (I like to find my tones, then set and forget rather than keep tweaking on the fly). And over the $500 target. But I am usually able to nab a 20% discount.

6 minutes ago, Carl.B said:

I know nothing about Quilter amp's but saw this at MusicGoRound.

Quilter AVIATOR Amp  for $399.

The original Aviators are great amps...Long since discontinued. I have gigged with mine (a 1 x 12 combo) with great results. ( brought along my favorite Mesa tube amp, just in case. I did not feel any need to switch to it). The second channel is especially useful if you run a guitar with a piezo (like a DuoTone) and want to blend it live. Their newest version would seem to up the ante very substantially over the original. I am not sure the second channel will be as oriented to "acoustic" if that is an issue.

OMG the Mach 3 looks awesome!  I am a total tube amp snob, but if the Quilter is as good as I hope it will be, it will be my church amp and May eliminate the need to a clean Fender BF type amp purchase.

OMG d00D! Blasphemy.

Actually, if you put a tube in the chain, preferably early, you kill two endangered condors with one antique blunderbuss.

Until it went titsup, I used a Valvulator in front of chain for just this, with great results.

Is there a modern alternative that gets you this?

DpQ9YJl.png

On 10/14/2021 at 9:48 PM, rugby1970 said:

The rules of the studio are "small" amps with very little reverb as the space has a great natural reverb. 

My 2x10 Vibrolux Reverb at 40 watts would be too big and unless I mic the Sock Monkey it would be too small. The organizer is going to tell the other two knuckleheads to turn down or bring smaller amps but that remains to be seen.

Huh? Rules?? That seems silly to me. Just use your Vibrolux and get the others to turn down. 15w amps can be crazy loud too (my Mesa was), everyone just needs to turn down, not buy new gear.

On 10/16/2021 at 8:10 AM, bubs_42 said:

Peavey Classic 30, skip the 20. 

I really liked my Classic 20 head, had a GREAT fendery clean tone, & good OD channel. Footswitchable reverb, & my fave feature was a footswitchable FX loop; I put a Zoom G2 multi FX set w/ a little comp and delay for solos (plus tuner) in the loop, left it back by the cab (could run on batteries too) and just had the PV FS out by my micstand, whole rig was small and flexible. Some online criticisms was that it was a quiet 20w, but it was loud enough for the loud ass band I was in a few years back (grunge covers). Why did I sell it? I dunno...

9 hours ago, Brooks said:

I really liked my Classic 20 head, had a GREAT fendery clean tone, & good OD channel. Footswitchable reverb, & my fave feature was a footswitchable FX loop; I put a Zoom G2 multi FX set w/ a little comp and delay for solos (plus tuner) in the loop, left it back by the cab (could run on batteries too) and just had the PV FS out by my micstand, whole rig was small and flexible. Some online criticisms was that it was a quiet 20w, but it was loud enough for the loud ass band I was in a few years back (grunge covers). Why did I sell it? I dunno...

I look at it this way, you can still find a USA Made Classic 30 Head for cheap money, or the Chinese made 20. 

On 10/17/2021 at 8:21 AM, Jakeboy said:

That sounds great. How stinkin' portable is THAT????

Archived