Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Finally found possibly the perfect, cheap acoustic.

Arrived yesterday and I'm really impressed. The 25.5" scale length really sold me. This guitar is LOUD LOUD LOUD! and sounds good. The action is a bit high for me and the frets could use a little work but it plays nice right out of the box. Came with a little gig bag too. $5 bucks a month autopay on top of my $67 a month for my keyboard. No brainer. I think I"ll look at the nut and bridge when I change the strings and give the frets a once over. The tuners are workable for the price but could be replaced with a used set of some sort for an upgrade. It's feather light and has a solid top. I dig the celtic graphics and inlays too. No electronics but I don't need that feature. Nice size and look. I didn't have an acoustic and didn't feel the need to spend hundreds on something I'm not going to take exceptional care of or expose to the elements. I got $50 back during the sale too. So somewhere around $170 net.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GYPPAR--luna-gypsy-muse-spruce-parlor-natural

Luna Gypsy Muse Parlor Acoustic Guitar - Natural | Sweetwater

Not a bad score at all!   Those parlors are really good choices for mostly electric players to have when they want a "grab-and-go" but without the whole amp, cables, etc. 

I picked up a surprisingly nice PRS Parlor - chinese-built, but solid as a rock, played great right out of the box, nice electronics, and a super heavy-duty, high quality gigbag.

Some really good stuff out there these days, and some bargain-priced stuff punches way above its weight class!

Black Top

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Travis said:

Nice!  I haven’t had an acoustic since ‘99

Been thinking I should pick up another acoustic sometime 

This one is really nice. Everything about it is playable. But naturally, for the price point, things can be improved. The tuners keep it in tune, but they can stand to be upgraded. Thanks to my friend, @ptm1diver, that's going to happen in a few days here. As I mentioned, the frets are average, kind of like the rough finish some low end Gibson's come with. A quick tape up and some 1500 and a follow up with 00 steel wool will take care of that. But you can't beat it for $160 or so depending on how much tax your state rips you with.  

You know…. I never understood the fretboards on an acoustic extending so far beyond the body when there’s no cutaway…

nobody’s fingers are long enough to reach. And who plays the upper frets over the top…?

I mean, unless your right hand tapping on the upper frets, I guess…. 🙄

2 minutes ago, Travis said:

You know…. I never understood the fretboards on an acoustic extending so far beyond the body when there’s no cutaway…

nobody’s fingers are long enough to reach. And who plays the upper frets over the top…?

Ahhh...... I guess you've never seen my son play.

9 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Ahhh...... I guess you've never seen my son play.

Holy crap, that was amazing…. LOVED it…

1 hour ago, BubbaVO said:

Recording King 000 size are fun to play.  I picked up one with a torrified spruce top (B stick) a few years ago off of reverb. Less than $200.

I picked up a recording king with a gold foil pickup on a Musician's Friend SDOTD about a month ago for $130.  I wouldn't call it a great guitar, but it has it's charm.  Once I lowered the action a foot, filed the fret ends, polished the frets and sanded the rough fretboard, it's a nice player.  The big surprise for me was how good it sounds plugged into my Super Sonic 22.

I may drop the string gauge down to 11s or even 10s so I can treat it more like an electric.

57 minutes ago, Travis said:

Upright basses, and other string instruments I imagine, have the neck join the body in the vicinity of the equivalent of the 9th fret. Beyond that point, you're playing in "thumb position". It can be quite a reach, as this guy shows.

400px-Renaudgarciafons.JPG

On 12/10/2021 at 1:17 PM, cmatthes said:

Not a bad score at all!   Those parlors are really good choices for mostly electric players to have when they want a "grab-and-go" but without the whole amp, cables, etc. 

I picked up a surprisingly nice PRS Parlor - chinese-built, but solid as a rock, played great right out of the box, nice electronics, and a super heavy-duty, high quality gigbag.

Some really good stuff out there these days, and some bargain-priced stuff punches way above its weight class!

Black Top

I’ve got one of those, same color.   It’s a hoot.

Archived