Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Dark times guitar acquisitions

gorch

Pandemic times made me uninspired last year having low to no guitar playing times. In exchange, I came to spend the funds into vinyl stockings, adding plenty of old and new records to the collection. Stemming against this mislead, I came to buy two guitars before and after Christmas that are as odd as my moods. One is missing the headstock label and frets and the other one used to be a surf wax can. In addition to that, I bought an Ebow, that's not in the picture.

As I'm surprised on the build quality of the can guitar (Bohemian Guitars). The fretless is even more less. The neck joint seems to be a bit wacky and the neck edges are quite sharp and would be better softened or rounded the edges. Although, Bohemian Guitars appear to be a USA company. Both guitars are China made. Nevertheless, they sound surprisingly great as first impressions show.

What I can say is that playing slide without disturbing frets is not the worse. Well, you have to find the right tones anyway. So, playing the odds shall bring me back to more frequent guitar playing. Keep fingers crossed, 2022 had just started.

PNG-Bild.png

The Pandemic/Lockdown of 2020-21 also got me looking at guitars, and I ended up snagging an incredibly well-built, great sounding, playing and most of all fun guitar...also, made in China:

PRS Guitars | SE P20E - 2021

I've been intrigued by parlor and 000 guitars over the last few years, but at the price point, quality and great electronics, this is a tough one to beat.

Only time I ever let national (or even worldwide) contemporary news developments influence my decision to purchase a big ticket item was 9/11.

Spent more than I've ever spent on an instrument, and that's still the personal record. It was a NOS mid-'90s Fender Custom Shop Bill Carson Strat. IIRC the President had encouraged Americans to make such purchases to bolster national confidence and resolve, and I participated.

5 minutes ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

Only time I ever let national (or even worldwide) contemporary news developments influence my decision to purchase a big ticket item was 9/11.

Spent more than I've ever spent on an instrument, and that's still the personal record. It was a NOS mid-'90s Fender Custom Shop Bill Carson Strat. IIRC the President had encouraged Americans to make such purchases to bolster national confidence and resolve, and I participated.

A true patriot!

I've been isolated here for a lot longer than the pandemic. Actually got out a lot more during the pandemic because I started gardening about 4 months before it hit. So I met a lot of neighbors who didn't know what it was like to stay home all day. They bought dogs and tennis shoes and walked by every day while I was out front in the garden. There were babies born too. Some of my neighbors' wives are pretty hot too. But I had some extra money from a good year in 2021 and bought a Monaco Elite for me and a Strandberg 8 string for Brandon. I also went back to my roots and bought a Kurzweil SP6. Oh, and I quit drinking in 2021. 

41 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

I've been isolated here for a lot longer than the pandemic. Actually got out a lot more during the pandemic because I started gardening about 4 months before it hit. So I met a lot of neighbors who didn't know what it was like to stay home all day. They bought dogs and tennis shoes and walked by every day while I was out front in the garden. There were babies born too. Some of my neighbors' wives are pretty hot too. But I had some extra money from a good year in 2021 and bought a Monaco Elite for me and a Strandberg 8 string for Brandon. I also went back to my roots and bought a Kurzweil SP6. Oh, and I quit drinking in 2021. 

You will get a lot more out of that last statement Ting than you can imagine! Proud of ya brother.

1 hour ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

Spent more than I've ever spent on an instrument, and that's still the personal record. It was a NOS mid-'90s Fender Custom Shop Bill Carson Strat. 

The Cimarron Red one with two guards?

^^^Mine only had one 'guard. Only "mod" I ever did to the guitar was to remove the plastic over the pickguard on accounta  the longer it stayed on the more likely it might "stick too much" to the pickguard and damage it.

This image is from 1998, at D/FW when Bill flew in to sign books at the Arlington show. He'd never seen the completed book until I presented him with this copy. Special moment, obviously.

Carson D-FW.jpg

While nowhere near a couple of these and while a Bohemian still intrigues me, the Dark Times have brought me a few rays of sunshine.  One was a Martin "D-Special" (that's all anything on it or the paperwork says) that ElDuave facilitated for me.  It's a Nazareth-made D-18ish appointed but with a nicer rosette thing, with a gloss top and matte sides and back made of ovangkol .  All solid woods, braces in the right places etc.  The whole thing happened right after my big-boy stroke and I have done the vast majority of my hand rehab on it.  It sounds and plays great.  Everyone who hears it and then plays it falls in love with it.  It's a good'un.  Thanks again, Dave.

The other was one of those thing I never thought I'd see.  A G&L Tribute, Bluesboy-ish (thinline but with a single coil in the neck) and the all important (to me) 12" radius.  And the very important (to my back) weight: 6 1/2 lbs.  I've been very pleasantly surprised at the tones this thing is capable of, even using it on one jazz gig (that's what tone controls are for, kids).

Usually, I can half-ass justify stuff like this with gig income.  Welp, that has been practically zero so that excuse has gone away.  Screwit.  I like 'em, I play 'em a lot and the Martin has seen lots of use at local open mic things I do to keep my sanity.

10 hours ago, Carl.B said:

You will get a lot more out of that last statement Ting than you can imagine! Proud of ya brother.

Thanks Carl. I'm feeling a lot better and getting more done. That's for sure. 

The whole lockdown situation spawned a new hobby for me.

Right at the beginning of the pandemic I got a great deal on a used bass through FB Marketplace.  It kind of set a ball in motion and I decided to keep looking for deals.  I started buying used gear, fixing it up and reselling it.  I love working on guitars, and I love getting to spend a week or 2 playing each guitar before I move it along, and it's made me enough money that I've been able to upgrade many of my keepers along the way too.  Because I was working from home most of the time, having something to go to when I needed a break from work was helpful.

Through all of it I've been able to expand my repair skills and I'm just now working on my first acoustic neck reset.  Soon I may start offering setup & repair services and see if that generates any interest.

Archived