Hamer Fan Club Message Center

So I now have a signature pickup

After talking to Josh about so many things including pickups for a few hours the other day, he suggested I try his Mongoose model in my "Strat." I agreed to give it a shot. Then he called me back a few hours later and asked me color preference and wire preference. I said cream and black with cream on the screw side and 2 wire since I'm not going to split the coils. The pickup arrived just a few days later and this is what I found.

No description available.

So I was thinking, "Okay, no slugs. I guess you can mount it either way." Then I flipped it over.

I called Josh back and asked about the pickup because it wasn't quite what I had ordered. I wasn't mad or disappointed, just ever so curious. He said after talking with me about what I wanted to do he custom wound this pickup for me and said it's just a prototype and to try it out that we can tweak it anyway I want to. I made a joke that it must be my signature pickup. He said yes it is and we need to come up with a name because "Thornbucker" is taken by Suhr and Pete Thorn. So I'm thinking about reptilian flavors of pickups. Of course there is always Crown Of Thorns (COT) because I was named after an Archangel. 

14 hours ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

After talking to Josh about so many things including pickups for a few hours the other day, he suggested I try his Mongoose model in my "Strat." I agreed to give it a shot. Then he called me back a few hours later and asked me color preference and wire preference. I said cream and black with cream on the screw side and 2 wire since I'm not going to split the coils. The pickup arrived just a few days later and this is what I found.

So I was thinking, "Okay, no slugs. I guess you can mount it either way." Then I flipped it over.

I called Josh back and asked about the pickup because it wasn't quite what I had ordered. I wasn't mad or disappointed, just ever so curious. He said after talking with me about what I wanted to do he custom wound this pickup for me and said it's just a prototype and to try it out that we can tweak it anyway I want to. I made a joke that it must be my signature pickup. He said yes it is and we need to come up with a name because "Thornbucker" is taken by Suhr and Pete Thorn. So I'm thinking about reptilian flavors of pickups. Of course there is always Crown Of Thorns (COT) because I was named after an Archangel. 

Congrats on the new pickup! Josh is the best!  And whatever he wound for you, I’m sure you’re going to love it. I’ve got his Mongoose in my partscaster and a Mongoose variant in my Charvel. Both killer pickups. His single coils and hot PAF’s in my other guitars kill as well. 

As far as a name for your new signature pickup… I got nothin…

Here’s my signature pickup…. The TR-Custom with raw nickel cover. Just waiting to be installed…

It’s going into a single pickup body with a push/pull for coil split  

Found the specs josh sent me when we were creating this pickup. 

From the man himself…

“Around 6.9k +/- on the slug coil using 43awg coil wire, 5k on the screw coil using 42.5awg. ... hot PAF used as normal, good single coil split off the slug coil”

D9EC0EB8-7AA1-4275-8BCE-5F35A356A77F.jpeg

E5A18B1E-4B20-4FAD-8AB3-0A299013D63D.jpeg

For Ting......A Walla Walla and a Bing Bang.

Maybe you had to be there in the 50s......

6 hours ago, django49 said:

For Ting......A Walla Walla and a Bing Bang.

Maybe you had to be there in the 50s......

Ooh…

Eee…

ooh, ah, ah…

Ting, I don't wanna piss in anyone's pool, ...er, on their parade... but I seem to recall having Josh name a p'up after me as well.  I think he called it a Pudbucker. :P

Seriously though, I seem to recall him having an earlier prototype with my initials in the ID code. HEL,  Shane coded the Spitfire as a JVM-P  Jim Voorhees Model- Prototype.

IMG_5243.jpeg

Archived