Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2008 Hamer Newport Birdseye Maple--CANCELLED!

Excellent condition; just a touch of Hameritis. Condition-wise, has a couple of very minor dings on the back of the neck, and several superficial dings on the back of the body.  Ebony fretboard.  SD Phat Cat pups.  Includes CoA, Owner's Manual/Warranty booklet, and OHSC.

Really nice guitar, but it just sits in the closet unplayed.

DECIDED NOT TO SELL IT AT THIS TIME__SORRY!

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

Newport back.jpg

Newport full.jpg

Newport headstock.jpg

Newport moneyshot.jpg

NewProBE_Back_zpsa94efdcb.jpg

P1000284_zpsc2b7141c.jpg

1 hour ago, Vintage Hamer-Lover said:

Awesome guitar!

Please show leniency: What is Hameritis? I am from Germany, a new member and this term is new for me, couldn't find it in any dictionary.

Perhaps the more knowledgeable persons within the HFC will correct me if I am wrong:

Hameritis specifically occurs in USA Hamer guitars, in my mind especially from between 1990 and 2010.

It is a slight discolouration due to lifting of a lacquer-layer, and it occurs mostly on the neck joint and sometimes on the edge of a fretboard binding (and maybe in other places on the guitar).

It does not have any functional consequence, the guitar is and remains structurally intact.

Also I have never heard of the lacquer peeling off.

It is a bit strange that the top-notch quality control in all Hamer factories did not detect or correct this minor flaw.

I have heard of some luthiers/guitar repairmentrying to inject it with adhesive in an attempt to repair it, but have never heard of that being very successful.

As stated, in general it is not necessary to do anything about it. 

Gabe 😀

On 1/17/2022 at 11:59 AM, Vintage Hamer-Lover said:

Awesome guitar!

Please show leniency: What is Hameritis? I am from Germany, a new member and this term is new for me, couldn't find it in any dictionary.

Yeah, around the heel "area" the finish can come "loose" I guess is the way to phrase it? It won't necessarily crack and flake off, it just bubbles up, blisters and looks odd. I'm not saying the finish won't crack completely and come loose all the way to the wood, I've just never seen it personally...

Of my three from this era, only one has it and it's my '92 Sunburst. It bubbled at the neck joint as well as the edge of the lower bout near the body binding. NO effect on play at all, you'd never know it was there, but it takes a guitar that would have been almost perfect to one that looks mis-treated or messed for those who don't know about Hamer-itis. 

My '91 Sunburst (w/ Factory Floyd) as finish cracks around the joint and on the back on the neck but no Hameritis. My '93 Special FM is perfect.

I would NOT let Hameritis stop anyone from buying a Hamer, it's just a brand oddity depending on the era. 

And to the OP, LOVE the guitar. That is amazing looking, GLWYS!

5 hours ago, Gabe said:

t is a slight discolouration due to lifting of a lacquer-layer, and it occurs mostly on the neck joint and sometimes on the edge of a fretboard binding (and maybe in other places on the guitar).

It does not have any functional consequence, the guitar is and remains structurally intact.

Also I have never heard of the lacquer peeling off.

Correct. Out of my 4 Hamers, 2 of them have it. It's only slight, and it doesn't affect playability whatsoever.

I took two more pictures to show the area. It's on each side of the neck near the binding; not on the bottom.

IMG_0487.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

Thank You very much. Great answers 🙌  I think I got it once with a Gibson Les Paul at the neckjoint, a thin cracked line to the body. But as I just learnd: with 90s to 10th Hamers it seems to be more often, more 'typical'.

8 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Oh, I thought that was just reflections.  I would love to see another picture of the headstock form a different angle.

Granted! Please pardon the dust and cat hair.  lol

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

That's one MINOR case of Hameritis! And the headstock does look fantastic.

Can I interest you in a trade for twin, teenaged boys who are pretty surly, don't do much around the house, but will eat everything in sight and can navigate a PS5 like nobodies business? I'll throw in $350 too; the well established Hamer-Number.  😉

4 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Thanks, I have never seen a headstock like that before.  Intoxicating!  I am having trouble looking away.  How am I supposed to function at work today?!

Hold the one I sold you in just the right the light (or under a flash) and it's got some streaks going on, too.  Not sure I captured it in any of the pics I sent you. 😎

1 hour ago, soli'd said:

Hold the one I sold you in just the right the light (or under a flash) and it's got some streaks going on, too.  Not sure I captured it in any of the pics I sent you. 😎

Seriously?!  Okay, I will try tonight.

Hold the phone! Stop the presses! After playing it for the last couple days, I've decided NOT to sell it at this time. It's just too good of a guitar to let go at the moment. Possibly in the future, but not now--sorry!

• Thundersteel changed the title to 2008 Hamer Newport Birdseye Maple--CANCELLED!
On 1/21/2022 at 11:22 AM, Thundersteel said:

Hold the phone! Stop the presses! After playing it for the last couple days, I've decided NOT to sell it at this time. It's just too good of a guitar to let go at the moment. Possibly in the future, but not now--sorry!

Oh good... Now I don't have to eye my bank account reproachfully. 

On 1/21/2022 at 2:22 PM, Thundersteel said:

Probably the right move! But please keep me in mind should you decide to move it. This is what I need in my life.

Archived