Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Committing to the Stratocaster

bubs_42

Year of the Strat sounds like full-on validation for me to move ahead with getting a replacement neck for my '76. I've been hankering a maple boarded neck with 22 frets for a long time now.

'Zza Strat.jpeg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Not bonding with the skyhawk, or is it not "strat enough" for you? The pickups are a bit different, but otherwise it ticks most of the boxes.

If you want to find a good strat, pick up a used on that has the TBX control on it. One of the best things Fender ever came up for with strats.

Its pretty much just the feel, I tried a few things but as soon as I picked up a Strat I knew. Still haven't nailed anything down yet, being patient and cautious. I have all kinds of guitar related decisions to make in 2022. 

I'm super happy with the SG and the Magnatone I picked up in 2021. I have yet to plug the SG into the Magnatone, i'm a bit worried about putting a rip in the space time continuum. 

As far as a Parts Stratocaster goes, i'm not going to go that route. I did it with the Telecasters and I have formulated what I like and i'm building my 3rd one now. I want a sure fire thing with the Strat, I don't want to go through pickups, pots, etc, ect. I'm burned out with all that and frankly i'm just done. 

I committed to strats when I got one w/ a more modern neck & a bridge humbucker. My #1 has a Warmoth neck (jumbo SS frets, 16" radius, 43mm nut, reverse headstock, thin but not Ibanez thin), Eden silver sparkle paulownia body, DiMarzio Super Distortion-S & Suhr pickups, locking tuners, and blocked Callaham bridge. My other strat is an 80s CF Martin Stinger import (w/ an added humbucker), it also has a more modern shreddy neck.

GTRS 12-21.jpg

18 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Its pretty much just the feel, I tried a few things but as soon as I picked up a Strat I knew. Still haven't nailed anything down yet, being patient and cautious. I have all kinds of guitar related decisions to make in 2022. 

I'm super happy with the SG and the Magnatone I picked up in 2021. I have yet to plug the SG into the Magnatone, i'm a bit worried about putting a rip in the space time continuum.

I hear that. I have two G&L Legacy guitars, and they just feel... GOOD. I also have played a bit on some of the more recent American Standard and Professional Strats, and they are just really nice guitars. Sound nice, play nice, and really just are all around great guitars. The G&L Legacy guitars are pretty much the same way.

One big choices you need to make however will always be whether you want a single coil in the bridge, or a humbucker.

And now, stop hesitating. I don't care if the world ends because someone played an SG through a Magnatone. JUST DO IT.

Just get a Hamer Centaura. Best Strat I've ever had. Right now I rely on my Monaco III for strat type tones. 

Almost got a Strat tonight at my local store. Burgundy Mist, Matching Headstock, Great Weight, Great Price, then I turned it over and someone had poorly sanded the whole back of the neck. DEAL KILLER, great looking guitar though. 

I have my history with Strats. Until the late 70s, all I knew were CBS-Strats. They were heavy, had that silly 3-point neck plate and zero sustain - at least the ones you could get over here... Then, I think in 1978, some kids I met by chance wanted to trade their Strat for my (pretty messed-up) ES 330. They came up with this strange looking worn brown case in which lived this strange guitar: small headstock, strange looking Fender-Logo and this weird red-metallic color. Surely, this could not be right! So I didn’t trade... Little did I know that I was looking at an early 60s candy apple pre-CBS Strat. Mind you, no internet in these days and pre-CBS Fenders were pretty rare in Germany.
Fast forward: I was blown away when I first heard Sultans of Swing on AFN-radio. Being a Gibson-type guy, now I had to get a strat! So I got a late 70s hardtail in antigua finish. Never bonded and traded it in. In 1993 I bought a brand new American Standard that got very little playtime. I just couldn’t do with Strats. Teles were fine, though. Then I started to mod the thing: Callaham parts, many different pickups and a plek-job. But the thing was too heavy for me and I lusted for the REAL thing, which for me spelled customshop. So, five years ago I finally did it, after being thorougly GASsed-up by Tom Wheeler’s Stratocaster Chronicles. For a very decent price I got a brand new (NOS - I guess that was the reason for the price reduction, cause in Germany kids seem to go crazy over the relic stuff...) 2015 CS post-modern Strat that has everything that I wanted: lightweight ash body, compound radius (9,5" to 12"), handwound Josephina pickups. I did change the trem for a ABM narrow spaced version to avoid the high E-string from slipping off the board and replaced the tuners for Gotoh locking. And, I finally bonded and after 40 years or so became a Strat-guy. Conclusion: you have to find the right one. And yeah, I’m still dreaming about that early 60s candy-apple-red one...

Strat.jpg

On 1/23/2022 at 5:15 PM, hamerhead said:

I thought a hardtail Strat would be THE Strat to have, coming from a TOM/Sustain Block background. And that a hardtail Daytona, having the proper neck radius (14"), would be even perfecter.

But part of the Strat 'thing' is the springs. You take those out and it's not the same guitar. You can block the trem so it can't budge, but the springs are part of the sound.

Just put on all five springs and deck the trem.

5 hours ago, Jeff R said:

New to the shop's stable. I can't put this sweet lady down.

No description available.

No description available.

Mmm…. Trip P90’s. That might be just enough to get me to want a Strat…

8 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

My southern trip today yielded ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH. Going north next weekend. 

Damn…

How far north are you headed…?

49 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Glad to see you're committed, @bubs_42

I've always believed that's what you needed.  

I do have some commitment issues for sure. I'm starting to mature a bit, and everyone else has benefited from my constant casting off of some amazing pieces of gear. 

NO REGERTS! LOL 

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Damn…

How far north are you headed…?

All the way Travis, Bubs goes all the way. 

I want to hit Midwest Music Exchange, CME and a couple GC's. One vintage store in Chicago that I won't mention by name is off the list. They have gouged there prices so much that they suck a big one and I won't shop there. 

37 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

everyone else has benefited from my constant casting off of some amazing pieces of gear. 

image.gif

I've thought about brand new, i've even though boutique but now that these boutique companies are being forced to raise prices its just not feasible to shell out 3k for a Strat Style Guitar, when I know I can build one from parts that is just as good. 

Taking my time, i'm in not much of a hurry, but I do get distracted by shiny things. 

I tried to like Strats,

grolsch .jpg

ranger.jpg

daytona.jpg

And I will try again here soon just to accommodate a really nice set of pickups..

But did me in WRT Strategies was a $45 pawn shop Pacifica, and after five more PACs I ended up here,

904.jpg

Pacifica 904, Ash on Alder, Warmoth neck, bone nut with fretwork by JeffRo, Gravelin Charlotte bridge with matching single coils, push-pull pots:  Volume adds Neck, Tone splits Bridge.

I have an 812V currently sans pups we could talk about....

812v.jpg

Archived