Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Cool, and favorite album covers

DaveH

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one of my all time favourites. Just so bloody weird.

61CKRvXsS7L._SY1000_.jpg

So many classics from Hipgnosis....

13-1-4583722-1565951673927.jpg

scorpions-lovedrive-original.jpg 

The classic Pedro Bell covers

Pedro.jpg?w=980&q=75

And of course....

3606159.jpg

220px-Kiss-Destroyer.jpg

What?  No Alice Cooper? 

The first album was a fold out even though it had only one disc.  From there they were all special.  School's Out was actually a desk that flipped open, and there were panties over the record.  Billion Dollar Babies was a wallet with photos and money.  Muscle Of Love came in a cardboard box like a shipping container.  From The Inside had it's cutout windows inside the album cover. 

Led Zeppelin's In Through The Out Door had a sleeve with watercolor paint in tiny dots printed on it.  Wet a paintbrush and you can finish the inside sleeve in color.  Physical Graffiti was a cool album cover with cutouts, too. 

I think there was a thread on  here a few years ago about album cover gimmicks, like the lenticular gizmo on the Stones' Their Satanic Majesties Request that revealed the Beatles, the mirror on Uriah Heep's Look At Yourself, etc. 

Presuming that the "gimmick" facet is inapplicable to this list (dynamic artwork only), one could probably safely submit:

Almost any Roger Dean-illstrated cover

Almost any Storm Thorgerson-illustrated cover

Almost any Globe Propaganda-illustrated cover

Black Sabbath's first album cover looked like a marketing image from American International Pictures

Disraeli Gears

"Chrome" albums like If's first album and Wheels of Fire (although those may be close to the "gimmick" category)

Iron Butterfly: Heavy

Steve Miller Band: Children of the Future

Mom's Apple Pie, first edition (Uh-oh!)

Triumvirat: Illusions on a Double Dimple

Emerson Lake & Palmer: Brain Salad Surgery

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

What?  No Alice Cooper? 

The first album was a fold out even though it had only one disc.  From there they were all special.  School's Out was actually a desk that flipped open, and there were panties over the record.  Billion Dollar Babies was a wallet with photos and money.  Muscle Of Love came in a cardboard box like a shipping container.  From The Inside had it's cutout windows inside the album cover. 

Pretty sure all that Alice cover stuff was done by Pacific Eye and Ear. They worked with a lot of rock bands and most of the albums they did were eye catchers. I always thought the photo on the back of the Love it to Death album by Alice Cooper should have been on the front. Talk about cool. Just looking at that picture you knew these guys were going to rock. I’d post the picture but I just updated my phone and haven’t figured out how yet. When my granddaughter gets home from school I’ll have her show me. You can’t believe how much I dislike this twenty first century. 

4 hours ago, mudshark said:

doug.jpg

Archived