Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD - Fender Exotic Series Malaysian Blackwood Telecaster

I have a friend who's been going through some pretty serious medical issues for quite a while now, and he’s come to the point where he’s selling off some of his music gear. So to help him get started I agreed to take this Tele off his hands at a price that was amenable to both of us.

It’s a sweet guitar, and since he only ever took it out of the case a handful of times since he bought it new in 2017 (he’s been laid up in a hospital bed since 2016), it’s basically brand new. He had Schaller strap locks put on it, which of course I immediately replaced with Dunlops.

I took it to the blues band rehearsal the other night and played it through my practice rig, a VHT Special 6 and Fulltone Full-Drive 2 Mosfet. It definitely feels like a Fender, but the sound is somewhere between a traditional Tele and, say, my P90 Special. Both pickups on at the same time is the most Fender-y sound.

002 Malaysian Blackwood Tele 05.JPG

003 Malaysian Blackwood Tele 06.JPG

004 Malaysian Blackwood Tele 08.JPG

001 Malaysian Blackwood Tele 01.JPG

Edited by Dana_V
  • Like 9

Sweet looking Tele, and I love me some P90s.  I'm surprised to see Fender getting creative and using the bit of sap wood on the body. Seems more like the kind of thing you'd find on a MIJ Fender.  Rock on.

ETA:  Sorry to hear about your friend.

Edited by G Man
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dana_V said:

I have a friend who's been going through some pretty serious medical issues for quite a while now, and he’s come to the point where he’s selling off some of his music gear. So to help him get started I agreed to take this Tele off his hands at a price that was amenable to both of us.

It’s a sweet guitar, and since he only ever took it out of the case a handful of times since he bought it new in 2017 (he’s been laid up in a hospital bed since 2016), it’s basically brand new. He had Schaller strap locks put on it, which of course I immediately replaced with Dunlops.

I took it to the blues band rehearsal the other night and played it through my practice rig, a VHT Special 6 and Fulltone Full-Drive 2 Mosfet. It definitely feels like a Fender, but the sound is somewhere between a traditional Tele and, say, my P90 Special. Both pickups on at the same time is the most Fender-y sound.

002 Malaysian Blackwood Tele 05.JPG

003 Malaysian Blackwood Tele 06.JPG

004 Malaysian Blackwood Tele 08.JPG

001 Malaysian Blackwood Tele 01.JPG

Oh, good god damn!!!  If the neck on that thing is FAT then I call dibs!!!

Congrats on the new tele. My sympathies for your friend and his health. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Travis said:

Oh, good god damn!!!  If the neck on that thing is FAT then I call dibs!!!

Thanks!

Actually, the neck is pretty slim; an average Fender C shape.  A fat neck would have been a deal-breaker for me - I would have offered to help him sell it rather than buy it from him. 😏

• Like 1

Teles are great "as is", but I've been experimenting with various, non-traditional pickup combinations (humbuckers, several different TVJones models, DiMarzio FastTracks, Duncan PhatCats and DoubleDs), and those still get most of the Tele vibe, but a whole lot more.  I've got a few interesting builds in the works, and a set of regular P-90s might make it into one of my Tele mods one of these days!

• Like 1