Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I wanna buy a Strat.

First off, after very little research, I'm looking at 2012 American Standard. I want something in a mid-weight Alder so's I can put a Mojotone '59 clone pre-wired Pickguard in there.

Any ideas?

Warmoth Alder Stat body

Warmoth has this 4 lb. alder Strat body for under $200.00.

They do great finishes or you could send it to Stike.  Since you have the pre-wired pickguard, you just need to add a neck and hardware.

On 1/29/2022 at 12:20 PM, JGale said:

I can put a Mojotone '59 clone pre-wired Pickguard in there.

I had a set of those in my Mirage 1, they really are great sounding pickup's, and quiet!!! No noise but the kind yer looking for!! They blew the doors off the Duncan's, equally as loud and a whole bag full of tone better. 500K pot's required for best results!

On 1/29/2022 at 1:51 PM, BadgerDave said:

Warmoth Alder Stat body

Warmoth has this 4 lb. alder Strat body for under $200.00.

They do great finishes or you could send it to Stike.  Since you have the pre-wired pickguard, you just need to add a neck and hardware.

I've got a few really nice Musikraft Strat necks that I likely won't be using if you go this route - looking for maple or rosewood board if you do?

9 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

I've got a few really nice Musikraft Strat necks that I likely won't be using if you go this route - looking for maple or rosewood board if you do?

Any of those necks as fat and round as Salma Hayek’s boobies…? 

Asking for a friend…. 😉

I went out on a limb several years ago and tried some pickups from a Russian dude on ebay, and they're really friggin' good. He doesn't seem to be on ebay anymore, but has stuff listed on Reverb. I've got a "Fullerton" (low output, super vintage) set and a "Voodoo" set (guess what those sound like). I like them both for different things, but they're both quite good. Downside: they take forever to get here, and ordering from Russia might be a crap shoot at the moment. If you google Pribora pickups, there are a lot of people on the net who have tried them and like them.

https://reverb.com/shop/alexanders-gear-garage-81

As for strats, if you can do a competent setup, you can build a strat - just saying. No judgement if you aren't comfortable with that... I know guys who are afraid of screwing something up changing their strings. 

On 1/29/2022 at 11:20 AM, JGale said:

First off, after very little research, I'm looking at 2012 American Standard. I want something in a mid-weight Alder so's I can put a Mojotone '59 clone pre-wired Pickguard in there.

Any ideas?

Timing is everything... I sold all 3 of my 2012 Am Standard Strats over the last 2x years. They were good, but certainly not great Strats. I have a very cool 2015 AM Standard Strat (Olympic White) with some custom appointments like Dan Armstrong blender wiring, a Wilkinson trem, a set of Fralin Woodstock pickups, pearloid pickguard, LSR roller nut, 60th Anniversary rosewood neck w/ abalone inlays I'm selling. If you're interested, shoot me a message and maybe we can work something out.

Cheers,

Winter

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 5.10.19 PM.jp2

On 2/6/2022 at 12:15 PM, BubbaVO said:

Every time I think I want a strat,  all roads lead me back to the used USA Legacy.  

The trem on my G&L is superior in my opinion. Stays tuned better than my Strats. Just feels more robust as well if that makes sense.

Archived