Hamer Fan Club Message Center

multi piece bodies

ArnieZ

Question

Of course 1 piece is more desirable but is there really a noticeable difference on an electric guitar. If the joinery is not underneath the pickups is it more desirable than if it is? Saw a guitar I liked but did not buy because of the multi piece body. Did not have the same model with a single piece body to compare it too, but thought it sounded good.

arniez

24 answers to this question

It is honestly more of an aesthetic (or bragging rights, in some cases) thing.

If the choice or option is available, I'll go with a one-piece any day, but wouldn't turn my nose up at a 2-piece body.  One of the best Korina Juniors I've ever played had a 2-piece body.  It was simply due to the fact that they didn't have a one piece body blank available when they made that one, as I understand it from somebody who was there when it was being built.

There are PLENTY of incredible, high-value vintage guitars with multi-piece bodies out there!

All I can say is that my 3-piece body '73 Fender Precision is no match for my single piece '81 Standard Bass.

The Standard resonates for a long time in any register, whereas the Precision does not.

Of course the extra sustain could be from the shape, body wood, and set neck.

I also think that a book-matched 2-piece body would be just fine.

If the finish is transparent then I’m happy with a one piece or 2 piece. I can’t tell the difference between the two with respect to anything other than aesthetic. If it’s a solid finish, I’m fine with a 3 piece. It’s when the finish is transparent that 3-4 piece bodies/tops start looking a bit wonky to me…

For curiosity, a three piece stressed neck is better than a one piece neck. What‘s right now?

I always feel this is one of those "you believe what you want to believe" types of deals. A guitar like a Les Paul is always going to have top that is a different piece of wood, and a glued on neck, so does whether the main body has a glue joint really matter?

One of my Music Man basses has a two piece body, and it's Cherry burst. I can't even see the joint, unless I look at the edge. EBMM uses a type of finger joint for their body blank glue joints.

I have an old Aria Pro ZZ that you can see the seams through the paint... Looks like it was made from eight 2"x2's 😂. But it sounds killer, and resonates like crazy.

2 hours ago, DaveH said:

I have an old Aria Pro ZZ that you can see the seams through the paint... Looks like it was made from eight 2"x2's 😂. But it sounds killer, and resonates like crazy.

I had one of those years ago, cool guitar.

I think it only makes a difference if you don't like the sound or the look.  

2 hours ago, Travis said:

I would 100% play that. Proudly…

Agreed.  That’s pretty cool!

I went through a mess of Fenders and kept two.  Both are at least four piece bodies, one may be five.  My top LP is a '73 Norlin deluxe pancake which translates to a body sized layer of glue between each of the four pieces of wood stacked together to make the body; mahogany, thin maple, mahogany, and maple cap, and being a gold top I'd wager the maple cap is also multi-piece.  

I also prefer the aesthetic of multi-piece tops and will find it nearly impossible to resist if there's also something off-center about it.  I mean, how many perfectly book-matched flame maple tops can you see on an LP before you're completely bored out your mind by it.

It's an aesthetic plus (IMO) if the finish is transparent. Otherwise, good wood is good wood - even if 2-3 piece.

Figured wood is so scarce and expensive now, I always get giddy over a cool one piece slab like on some of my Hamers. 

Got this 82 Charvel recently w/solid birdseye body. Hernia material, but it looks killer.

SkxG7Zi.jpg

I found one of those Ltd. Ed. Cabronitas on the Willcutt website, it's the exact same model but not the same exact guitar as the one that you provided photos of (the grain is slightly different on the back)...it too has a four-piece alder body, maybe this particular model all had four-piece bodies? (no affiliation)

https://willcuttguitars.com/collections/electric-guitars/products/fender-limited-edition-cabronita-telecaster-aztec-gold-246

I've seen lots of Fenders in the past with Alder bodies that used three or four pieces of wood for the body, and frequently had a two piece Alder body; I would think that even now that's still true unless something bad has happened recently to the Alder supply (besides, or perhaps because of, The Pandemic):

https://proaudioland.com/news/guitar-wood-all-about-alder/

A question I have that I don't see a direct answer for in the Willcutts description, is: is the gold top on that guitar just paint (and nothing but paint) on the top of the body?  In other words: is it just an eye-candy paint job on the top, and top edge binding, on a four-piece alder body? 

Good luck with your search.  All I know is that I won't be dropping $1900 at Willcutts anytime soon!  ;)

15 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Alembic makes multi-piece bodies and necks that do not seem to bother their customers. 

14282_NestedOmegaL.jpg

There it is a strategy. B)

Archived