Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anyone remove Velcro off a pedal?

Armitage

Question

16 answers to this question

Heat it, grab a corner with pliers, pull it off pedal while applying heat, clean surface with Goo Gone/WD40/Acrysol. 

On 2/13/2022 at 9:00 AM, Armitage said:

Have any of you guys removed velcro off a pedal? I kind of figure you might wet it with Goo Gone then peal it off, but I've never done it.

I have had really good results with just pulling the velcro off, and then rubbing Goo Gone on the residue.  It works great, and does not mar the pedal finish at all.

On 2/14/2022 at 4:51 AM, veatch said:

Pull first. Heat gun will help, as suggested (or a hair dryer) If I have one that is stubborn, I'll get a corner up and get a little WD40 under the velcro onto the glue to help it loosen/soften. 

Yes, I have used a hair dryer to remove rubber backing from a pedal before mounting it on a pedalboard.  It really worked well, and I wasn't worried at all about too much heat.

I looked all over for my Goo Gone... in the kitchen, garage, furnace room. everywhere... I finally decided I should go get some. Before I left I thought, "once I'm finished with it, where am I going to put it?... probably in the little basket in the back closet with all the other little bottles of stuff... beside the other three bottles..."

There's a magic heat where the velcro comes right off taking almost all of the glue with it. Less is more, unless it's not enough.

Too much heat and the velcro separates from the glue, leaving a mess behind on the pedal. Depending on the adhesive, with a little heat you can scrub with your thumb SKIN and it rolls up into snot balls. A little touch of Goo Gone cleans up the remainder.

If it leaves a felt-like non sticky backing on the pedal... (different brands of velcro), it's not worth the struggle to get off... if you don't have to.

There are clearly two types of adhesive... one is a glue and the other is like a clear rubber cement.

Archived