Hamer Fan Club Message Center

So what pedal do you guys have/use?

Armitage

Every once in a while I pull out all my pedals and give'm hell... then most of them get put away until next time.

I "need" a delay in the loop... a must have, and just got the Strymon Timeline (thanks for the recommendation) with the Multi Switch... still trying out most of it's features, most I'll never use of course... of course... of course. Next I really like a Phaser and the EVH with it's higher input impedance and script switch, suits me best. The Smartgate is a very musical noise reduction pedal, it follows the note better imho. The 5150 Overdrive is a great "going to someone else's house" pedal. I can get a great "me" sound on any amp with it.

The rest are special use or colors I enjoy once in a while. So what do you guys step on?

20210119_105112.jpg

20220216_092543.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DSCN1218s.jpg

At the left front is my current favorite tiny board - DD6, ZenZen, Turbo Tuner, with a Volto for power. Amazing what it can do.

Above that is the trusty GT-3 with Quilters in stereo. I'm still surprised at what can be pulled from that 20-year-old heap.

On the right is my gig board, slightly altered/pillaged. It's the first time in forever that there's no OCD on it. I used to use 3.....

ThDSCN1219s.jpg

The shelf has my old BF-2 from the late '70/early '80s, a couple custom jobs and some other stuff (Bub's old EQ!).

I sold a box of a dozen or so different pedals to a guy on Reverb last year. It just got to be too much stuff!

I am not a pedal guy, but I like a few FX (delay, comp, EQ, sometimes a phaser or wha), I use this for band gigs or recording (live its set up like a pedalboard into a Plexi sim w/o cab emulation, that feeds a TC Bam200 mini head and various Marshall cabs);

pod go.jpg

This is my backup, and what I use in the kitchen w/ my small tube amp;

plexitone.jpg

2 hours ago, Armitage said:

Every once in a while I pull out all my pedals and give'm hell... then most of them get put away until next time.

I "need" a delay in the loop... a must have, and just got the Strymon Timeline (thanks for the recommendation) with the Multi Switch... still trying out most of it's features, most I'll never use of course... of course... of course. Next I really like a Phaser and the EVH with it's higher input impedance and script switch, suits me best. The Smartgate is a very musical noise reduction pedal, it follows the note better imho. The 5150 Overdrive is a great "going to someone else's house" pedal. I can get a great "me" sound on any amp with it.

The rest are special use or colors I enjoy once in a while. So what do you guys step on?

20210119_105112.jpg

20220216_092543.jpg

I'd think that L6 HX can do the work of most of the other pedals pictured?

1 hour ago, Stike said:

Inquiring minds want to know.

I know my limits.  Left unchecked, Pedals would be a sarlacc pit I would never exit. I have my od, compressor, chorus, echo, distortion and wah.  wife hates the cables every where. 

but what if there was just one cord and all the effects I could want in one place.   The Pod Go would cover all my bases.

and a looper…can’t forget that…

1 hour ago, Stike said:

It can, and does... it's a recent addition, but I use stuff before the amp, and stuff in the loop, and I'm not a fan of long tone sucking leads for the 4 cable method.

I was using it in the loop for delays and reverb, but it seemed wasted... but it'll probably go back there with the expression pedal.

I've got two amps I'm using at home right now, usually singly. And would rather not reach around and unplug everything in the loop from one just to use the other amp if I don't have to.

1st world problems I know.

Wow, I spent about 2 years assembling a load of great pedals on top of some old stuff I’d had with the plan of buying a Bogner Ecstasy 3534 and surrounding it by superb pedals.

that included Boss OS-3, D-200, Waza DC-2 and CE-2, Digitech Polara, Keeley and Xotic Comps, an Eventide Pitchfactor, Custom shop Phase 90, DS-1, MT-2, Flashback, Tech21 XXL and sansaml GT2 all sorts. I even bought a wah pedal off Steve Stevens!

I was lined up to get a cab and attenuation gear, an interface and all sorts of other shit

I ordered the Bogner and it got smashed up during delivery and lead times were terrible.

So I had another idea.

I ordered a Fractal FM3 having had a go on @DBraz AFXIII and talking to @diablo175about his.

when it arrived and I paired it with some decent monitors (Eve audio SC205) i was sold - it’s awesome tech and sounds feels wonderful, it’s so convenient I’m playing the guitar more than ever…

…and the pedals- they all got sold promptly. I kept the OD-3, flashback, tech21/sansamp kit and Steves wah pedal.

I don’t miss those pedals at all and I’m happier with the guitars sounds I have now that I have ever been in what, 35 years?

Been on a mission to go small lately.

Electric set up. Paired down to basics. Believe or not the Donner Yellow Tail delay is pretty good.

20220216_145233.jpg

Acoustic set up. The Friedman Sir Compre works great with acoustics and my cheap EQ & Reverb pedals do better than ok.

20220216_145247.jpg

The ODs/dists/boosts, the Teese wah and the SupaTrem are all on a mini board feeding my '66 Super Reverb, so shop clients can try to replicate their own amps/boards. FYI, the Fulltone tremolo pedal sounds better than the BFSR's trem.

The Flashback delay is atop my Mark III, feeding its loop, always on.

The rest are piled atop a flight case next to the amps.

Effects.jpg

1 hour ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

Wow, I spent about 2 years assembling a load of great pedals on top of some old stuff I’d had with the plan of buying a Bogner Ecstasy 3534 and surrounding it by superb pedals.

that included Boss OS-3, D-200, Waza DC-2 and CE-2, Digitech Polara, Keeley and Xotic Comps, an Eventide Pitchfactor, Custom shop Phase 90, DS-1, MT-2, Flashback, Tech21 XXL and sansaml GT2 all sorts. I even bought a wah pedal off Steve Stevens!

I was lined up to get a cab and attenuation gear, an interface and all sorts of other shit

I ordered the Bogner and it got smashed up during delivery and lead times were terrible.

So I had another idea.

I ordered a Fractal FM3 having had a go on @DBraz AFXIII and talking to @diablo175about his.

when it arrived and I paired it with some decent monitors (Eve audio SC205) i was sold - it’s awesome tech and sounds feels wonderful, it’s so convenient I’m playing the guitar more than ever…

…and the pedals- they all got sold promptly. I kept the OD-3, flashback, tech21/sansamp kit and Steves wah pedal.

I don’t miss those pedals at all and I’m happier with the guitars sounds I have now that I have ever been in what, 35 years?

Damn straight, mate! The Axe FX III was totally a game changer. My experience, pre-Fractal, ranged between pretty inept to just slightly above crude when it came to dialing in sounds using pedals and amps. What a bore!

Now I've found my sonic palette has expanded as has my appreciation and willingness to experiment with tonal colors.

And while amp (and pedal) purists are gonna shred modelers as not quite as good, I'll happily take the insane versatility and capabilities of my Axe FX  over having to find a shit ton of amps and pedals to achieve the same authentic sounds.

I've been pretty consistent lately.

Board #1: Tuner, Sexdrive, Vanilla Zendrive, Timmy, Catlinbread Reverb.

Board #2: UNDER CONSTRUCTION! The big board doubles everything on the first board, with the addition of Tremolo, Slap Delay, and a second delay for a little tail. 

Always on hand and ready to rock: Saucy Box and Saucy Box HC. I still need to add a Echopuss and a Aqua puss. 

For me it depends on the guitar and amp I am using and what I want to hear….go to OD is the Timmy. The KO Effects Tea and Crumpets hotcake clone is for the TopHat Supreme 16. I like a R2R Treble Booster as well. Lovepedal EPH3 echo. Reverb is a  Lovepedal Reverb 65. Oh, I am also using and loving the Chase Tone Secret Preamps an always on tone sweetener. 
If I want fuzz, I reach for a Cascade SupaFuzz clone or a Monsterpiece Mk1 clone.

There are others that I use as needed.

I've been experimenting with this Headrush Pedalboard and Line 6 multiFX unit.  Surprisingly intuitive and easy to get good sounds.  

fullsizeoutput_f7b.jpeg

I went the digital route with Amplitube from IKmultimedia many years ago.  I had a 200 watt peavey bass amp with an 1810 cabinet that was so fucking awesome I could hardly play it.  Too big to fit in the small space I had and too loud once it sounded right.

So, I went digital and I had access to all the pedals I could want, almost.   They weren't as good as real one's but I wasn't as good as real guitarists so it seemed a perfect match.  The software kept getting better over the years and the newest version (5)  sounds quite amazing, both amps and pedals.  But I wanted to get back into the real world so to say a few years ago.  Started buying some amps (cheap ones) and pedals (also cheap).  Then I bought some better ones and tried a few Lovepedals on sale and now I have quite a few again.

Too much is never enough as they say.

Will post some pictures later.

I recently switched from this

spacer.png

to this

spacer.png

I kept my dirt boxes (added the Big Muff at right) and the MS-3 is doing all my modulation, delay, reverb and much more.

1 hour ago, topekatj said:

Tell us about the upside down More Louder pedal — boost?

Super clean boost that with a buffer you can turn on and off.  I keep the buffer on and keep it at the end of my loop effect chain for a solo boost on 50w and 100w amps.  It works OK on the Splawntoo, but the little Marshalls don't have enough headroom left to boost anything.  

However, if you have an amp with a loop and some headroom at gig volume, works like a charm.

This is still my mess. I've promised the band that I shall rewire the board to get rid of some ground noise. Will tighten it up and make it tidy. One of these days....

Coloursound SupaWah, Dod 575 Flanger, Supa Puss, EH Bad Stone, Tremulator EBS BassIQ, Radial Big Shot buffer/boost, Catalyst, Shaffer Replica.

y4msMeygG-UOi5SwXwUGBSYdHKi68dB6B7x9FZtI

Archived