Hamer Fan Club Message Center

"Only a Gibson is Good Enough"... As if!

I normally don't read the Gear Page forum, but I accidentally ran across this hilarious thread of problems associated with a brand new factory-fresh Gibson guitar:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/only-a-gibson-is-good-enough.2340247/

7oBtbnZ.jpg

8nRrvcE.jpg

kneEInc.jpg

q4ic3j0.jpg

xqJiWAO.jpg

Supposedly back in the late '30s/early '40's, when Gibson came out with that slogan, Epiphone (independently making it's own guitars, and not a part of Gibson at that time) came out with a counter-slogan for it's own ads: "When 'Good Enough' just isn't 'Good Enough' ".  :rolleyes:

That pickguard looks like it was cut by a chain saw... I don't like bound guitars after years of having issues with extreme temps and bindings, but that's some sloppy assed shit there!!

Every time I see one of these types of show-and-tell threads, I think back to a yokel in the audience at a gig I played years ago who looked at my TV Yellow '93 Special and said, "Hey man, that hammer looks real nice; too bad it's not a Gibson."

My response: "I like guitars that are built exceptionally well and play effortlessly. So, thank God it's NOT a fucking Gibson."

15 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

"Hey man, that hammer looks real nice..."

I love it!  Personally, I don't think that Hamer did themselves any favours by using the name, "Slammer".  I think that it probably resulted in some people thinking, "Oh, I thought it was pronounced HAY-MER, but it must be HAMMER."  

I can guess why they didn't go for a Hamer Flamer line instead.

1 minute ago, HamerCustomEr said:

I love it!  Personally, I don't think that Hamer did themselves any favours by using the name, "Slammer".  I think that it probably resulted in some people thinking, "Oh, I thought it was pronounced HAY-MER, but it must be HAMMER."  

I had that same reaction when reading early magazine ads and seeing references to "Slammer" pickups.  An unforced error, really.

I seriously doubt I'll ever even consider another Gibson after all that hot air about them hearing there are problems and they're fixing them.  

Phil McKnight had a recent video where he ordered a Custom Shop R0 through Moore Guitars and it had a number of issues.  I think he said this was like a $7k or so guitar.  My comment was that it was too bad the only thing they've really improved was their marketing department. 

54 minutes ago, RobB said:

Dang, that's unfortunate. And after all my crowing about how, "Gibson's turned around", with their new front office. 

Another reason why I buy Japanese:

65882260637__D6ABBC70-D080-44D6-99BB-245126083499.jpgIMG_1551.JPG

I like that!!!

3 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

Every time I see one of these types of show-and-tell threads, I think back to a yokel in the audience at a gig I played years ago who looked at my TV Yellow '93 Special and said, "Hey man, that hammer looks real nice; too bad it's not a Gibson."

My response: "I like guitars that are built exceptionally well and play effortlessly. So, thank God it's NOT a fucking Gibson."

I get that when I pull up somewhere on my Victory motorcycle and someone makes the same comment about it not being a Harley. 

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Jesus…

How could that even leave the factory in good conscience…?

Easy...It left the factory with no conscience.

26 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Easy...It left the factory with no conscience.

Ok, well, yeah….  There’s that…

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Try to find the flaw in those 70s Gibsons marked "second."  You cannot find anything wrong most of the time.  

Well, Gibson has made up for that by now, and then some!

I recently played a 2019 Les Paul Standard 60's. I did not examine it for flaws that thoroughly (the little things like fret binding etc). But the overal finish of the guitar looked great and I saw no real faults with it. It played great and really felt better than the 2011 R8 I tried out a couple of years ago. I was not to heavy and the neck was really sweet. It also had great tone. I kinda regret that I did not buy it. So even if they put out some dogs they also make some great ones now and then.

I've shared this numerous times already but my so-called custom Les Paul Axcess (1 of 3) was pretty much a dog. No major finish or fretwork issues thank goodness but...

The Korean FRT 1000 trem was horrible. The electronics were meh at best- Gibby p'ups did not bowl me over- weak and anemic.  The pots were marginal, the push pull for the coil tapping needed to be replaced along with the toggle switch which crapped out within months- possibly because there was saw dust in the cavity, gunking them up.  The tuners (Klusons, IIRC) felt cheap. I wouldn't tolerate that from a $1K guitar let alone a $4.5K supposed custom shop.

I ended up totally overhauling it- Murkat Special bridge pickup and custom wiring harness, new toggle, Orig. Floyd and black hardware including Grover tuners.

IMG_3064.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at 8.44.59 AM.png

To be fair, the Only a Gibson is Good Enough moniker appeared on the wartime acoustics, which are legendary guitars built by the Kalamazoo Girls.  Has nothing to do with whatever is going on at modern day Gibson Nashville electric operations.

spacer.png

Archived