Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Overdrive/boost questions

OK, I have had problem after problem getting a clean volume boost on my gain channel no matter what I try. I have tried: Sparkle Drive, Duncan Pickup booster, tone driver, EQ, and Wylde Overdrive pedals and when I engage the pedals, I don't hear any increase in volume. I am trying to run with the level up and the gain low. Am I doing this wrong? On the clean channel, everything pumps up the volume, but dirty, ...nuthin. What gives?

Help is apprecitated, but I can't say I haven't tried running each pedal 100 ways.

Have you tried putting any of the pedals in the effects loop instead of ahead of the amp?

+1 for all the above.

If you boost before them tubes you're just saturating them more.

It's like a bottleneck, so to speak.

JJ

I'm using a Mesa F-30 with the gain at about 11 o'clockish. It's very crunch there. I do not use the countour setting which bumps up the gain and scoops the EQ.

I have tried the effects loop with the eq and the booster :rolleyes::lol:

You are going to have to run you gain much lower to get any boost without crunch.

Try setting up a tone WITH the booster on, than turning it off and see what you get at the lower volume. Sometimes you gotta eat dessert to appreciate dinner.

I played through a Mesa MKIIC+ for years and experienced the same thing - I would never get a noticeable increase in volume using my TC Electronics Booster.

Once I got my Marshall JCM800 (2203), I noticed a BIG difference. The Marshall has a LOT more "headroom". The Marshall actually gets louder, the Boogie gets more saturated. When I was using the Boogie, the other guitar player had a Marshall combo and we never had any problem hearing his solos.

My BF Deluxe Reverb is somewhere between the two - not as saturated as the Boogie, but not as much headroom as the Marshall.

BTW - I own and have tried the following for boost: Sparkledrive, Fulltone Fatboost, Tube Screamer, Fulltone Fulldrive 2. I've ended up using the Sparkledrive, Tube Screamer, and FD2 for overdrive; the Fatboost and TC Booster for boost.

That's interesting - I noticed when I used my TSL that on the gainier setting I could barely hear a difference when I hit the SHO. With my Triaxis I can still hear a difference (although it's more subdued the higher the gain settings). I think the afore mentioned idea about a boost in the loop is your best bet. I get a solo boost with my rack setup by having my Gmajor FX unit give me a +3-4 DB boost with a Midi switch

How about just using the volume knob on your guitar!!!!!

Set your guitars volume knob at about 6, then dial in as much distortion as you need for your rhythm playing from your amp. Then for leads turn the volume knob on your guitar to 10 and you will have a very noticable increase in volume. Turn your guitar volume to 2 or 3 for cleaner tones.

this is a common problem and one reason I almost always use pedals ( live )

yep. because of that, the only time i DIDN'T use an OD pedal was when i was in a coverband w/ a fulltime soundman. otherwise, a boost pedal (in my case, a comp) wouldn't boost the volume of a gainy amp channel, it just compresses it more. without a soundman, i NEED a volume boost for solos that i can control.

for most rawk band gigs, i've always run a OD pedal THEN a comp into a CLEAN tube amp; this way the comp gives as big of a boost as i set it to, clean or dirty.

recording is different, tho.

I'm using a Mesa F-30 with the gain at about 11 o'clockish. It's very crunch there. I do not use the countour setting which bumps up the gain and scoops the EQ.

I have tried the effects loop with the eq and the booster :rolleyes::lol:

A boost pedal will not give you a volume boost on an input driving a preamp which is already overdriven. It will work on a clean channel, or clean amp with relatively high headroom.

If your amp doesn't offer a volume boost option, you need to place something in the effects loop that CUTS volume. Perhaps a graphic EQ with level set below unity gain. Then set amp volume for whatever you want for lead. You kick the eq in for rhythm, kick it out for lead.

If your amp doesn't offer a volume boost option, you need to place something in the effects loop that CUTS volume. Perhaps a graphic EQ with level set below unity gain. Then set amp volume for whatever you want for lead. You kick the eq in for rhythm, kick it out for lead.

Yep. That's the ticket.

I'm using a Mesa F-30 with the gain at about 11 o'clockish.

not to take away your own thread, but how do you like it? I am looking for one of those myself, there is one on ebay now and will bid on it. any comments, especially on the lead channel? I look for a more "marshally", rather then "rectifier" tone.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try some of these.

Jorge,

The F30 is not a flavor of Marshall, IMO. It's got mesa character for sure. With the contour engaged, you can approach recto territory, and for my needs the amp sounds better without it, unless I'm playing at lower volumes. Then I'll use the contour. That being said, it crunches up nice. The clean sound is very nice and articulate and with the gain dimed with single coils it give you that cool stevie ray type quack.

For real Marshall tone out of a mesa the Stiletto is the way to go. I just played a couple last week. The only drawback IMO was the clean channel. I found it very dark on both the duece and trident no matter what guitar I plugged in.

I've never had any luck with pedals for volume boost or getting a good lead tone. Thats why I've pretty much stopped using them. Right now I am experimenting with a Duncan Pickup Booster. I think the best thing is a multi channel amp or programable preamp. Right now I just plug in to a 1987X or 1959SLP and play. I've experimented with different settings and can get a decent rhythm tone and lead tone. But I don't really need very many different tones for the music I play.

OK, I tried a couple of things as suggested. The thing that worked the best was the EQ in the loop. I set it flat, pushed the mids up slightly and then boosted the level a bit. At first it wasn't working at all. Then I realized I had the mix control on the loop set to zero. That's why I never got anywhere when trying the loop previously. DOH! Thanks everyone! :blink::o

Archived