Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Does anyone still have access to the factory logs?

BadgerDave

Question

I'm trying to determine if the Special I recently bought has the factory original paint.  I'd be very grateful if anyone here could check the serial number in the factory logs to see what info is there.  I don't believe I've seen Serial Steve on the board recently.

VMl98+whQ02zCwown5g3qA.jpg

16 answers to this question

it looks too good for a 41 year old finish.

On 3/14/2022 at 7:21 PM, BadgerDave said:

I'm trying to determine if the Special I recently bought has the factory original paint.  I'd be very grateful if anyone here could check the serial number in the factory logs to see what info is there.  I don't believe I've seen Serial Steve on the board recently.

VMl98+whQ02zCwown5g3qA.jpg

They might not have the finish in the logs, but it looks original to me.

The only way you'll be able to tell that it is a refin is if the factory log states that it is another color other than black.
It could have been black from the factory and repainted, then what?

"it looks too good for a 41 year old finish," he says...

This is a deviously-crafted preamble to a Badger Dave Guitar Selloff.  Mark my words.

I call SHINANIGANS, @BadgerDave!!

6 hours ago, kizanski said:

The only way you'll be able to tell that it is a refin is if the factory log states that it is another color other than black.
It could have been black from the factory and repainted, then what?

"it looks too good for a 41 year old finish," he says...

This is a deviously-crafted preamble to a Badger Dave Guitar Selloff.  Mark my words.

I call SHINANIGANS, @BadgerDave!!

It's one piece of information that may or may not confirm that it's a refin.  The log may say "custom order, black, with Kahler".

As Stonge pointed out,the serial number is nearly irrefutable evidence that the back of the headstock is the original black paint.  My only reason for suspicion that the rest of the finish is not original is that the face of the headstock shows some wear and scratches.  The rest of the guitar looks nearly new.

No Shenanigans here. It's not for sale.  Straight up trade for a Triple Threat or the zebra 80 (81?) Special with the unusually thick neck that I stupidly sold - I'll consider.

If this one ever had a Kahler and doesn't now, it wouldn't be original.  There were no '81 Specials stock with Kahlers that I'm aware of out there.

The factory logs on Specials would likely be less detailed than say, Sunbursts or custom models in the production sequence, so it may not have the finish coded/listed in the line entry.

It needs more pics for clear analysis of the subject.

19 hours ago, LexxLecter said:

Btw what happened with factory logs access? I remember 8-10 years ago there was a serial numbers data base or some kind of...

There never was factory log access.   Steve had a Serial Number database that he started back in the mid-1990s that was massively filled in with factory log review, but the logs have been in CT since 1997 and not reproduced online anywhere before they were scattered to the winds.  Jol may have some, but not all of them that were given to him a few years after FMIC shut down the New Hartford shop.

Steve's list was pulled by his request because it was essentially a 25 year old database that didn't play well with upgrades and is too extensive to manually enter everything.  He still maintains an offline copy.

Archived