Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hi Folks, I’m looking for a flat top Sunburst from any era. My first preference would be an early model with a transparent finish or sunburst on the lighter side of the spectrum. But honestly, I see so few of these come up for sale, and I’m still learning about the wide variety of options, so I’d be happy to see anything that’s available. Thanks in advance for any information you have. 

21 hours ago, lang said:

I have a black 79 Sunburst that I got years ago on here...

N7PaCSu.jpg

Not the color you're looking for, but if it's something you might be interested in, we can talk...

Very Cool guitar! I had 2 of those in that color.............. both 79s and both Bound and Crowned. One had a Kahler pro installed from back in the day when such things were done and the other had the original Sustain Block. Great guitars! Hamer's best IMHO and the early Sunbursts are the bomb. You came to the right place looking for one. Good Luck!

On 3/15/2022 at 9:49 AM, lang said:

N7PaCSu.jpg

Not the color you're looking for, but if it's something you might be interested in, we can talk...

I just made a mess in my pants... Oops, INSIDE THE HEAD THOUGHTS, you don't have to say EVERYTHING out loud!!! -- Sorry about that. 😉

WOW, that's stunning!

NOTICE: I am NO expert here, there are folks here that have 30 times the knowledge I do but I thought I'd chime in to give some experience and thoughts:

So for our Rookie, the different "eras" of Sunbursts (and the models that followed but were basically Sunbursts!) have different qualities and things to consider. The late 70s early 80s, they have a more narrow nut width and "usually" a thinner profile neck. BUT, this isn't always the case. Some are very thin-ish, others are a little more full but certainly not to Baseball Bat level. Mid 80's get goofy, there's more variation but I will venture to say (and await being corrected if need be, please!!) that they were still 1 5/8th most often but the profiles could be a little more fat.  In the Mid to late 80s did they have get "really big" guys? I've never come across one but I'm hardly an expert.

Early 90s, MY Era of Hamers; 1 11/16th nut width, thin profile but not quite as thin as the early 80s. I have a '91 Sunburst w/ Factory Floyd, '92 Sunburst and '93 FM Special (so flat top but HUGE FLAMES! no neck or body binding). I also have an '81 Special that I've owned for a looonnnnggg time that I De-Kahler'ed during Covid, I love this guitar and deal with it's thinner neck and profile as it's a monster. About 93 to 94 the necks get fatter, and then fatter, and then the settle to what would be a more medium size in comparison to other brands, but too big for me. I'll leave that era and those measurements to others. 

'81 Special:  0.79" at the 1st fret, 0.85" at the 12th

'91 Sunburst: 0.83 to 0.86" [Factory Floyd so they probably left more meat at the nut area for long term durability??]

'92 and '93: 0.795" to 0.83"

I have a few measured in the low 2000's, they were about 0.9" 1st to 0.96" 12th for comparison

Good luck on your search!

Thanks for that detailed information, Drew.  I’m writing notes in the back of my Hamer book. I think the extremes of the neck dimensions you mentioned pretty much correspond to those of the guitars I already play regularly. So adapting to - or having a preference for - a given era’s model based on the neck size is probably not an issue for me. It’s good to know that. I was more leaning toward the earliest run because that’s the model that caught my eye (and heart) as a kid, with my nose pressed up against the shop window. Hard to explain; glad I don’t have to to this group. 

20 minutes ago, Slade Moore said:

Thanks for that detailed information, Drew.  I’m writing notes in the back of my Hamer book. I think the extremes of the neck dimensions you mentioned pretty much correspond to those of the guitars I already play regularly. So adapting to - or having a preference for - a given era’s model based on the neck size is probably not an issue for me. It’s good to know that. I was more leaning toward the earliest run because that’s the model that caught my eye (and heart) as a kid, with my nose pressed up against the shop window. Hard to explain; glad I don’t have to to this group. 

I think the only thing you usually have to explain here is why you have only one Hamer, and if it's "import" well, best not to post at all.  😉

We all get it, the first time I heard Cheap Trick and saw Rick with a Hamer I was hooked. Took a while to learn and track them down, and now it's a bit of a disease honestly.

Good luck!

4 minutes ago, Drew816 said:

We all get it, the first time I heard Cheap Trick and saw Rick with a Hamer I was hooked. Took a while to learn and track them down, and now it's a bit of a disease honestly.

I view it more as a condition, rather than a disease.  For instance, I have a super-sensitive sense of smell.  At work one morning, I said, "Who's got the Kentucky Fried Chicken?"  A woman across the room replied, "I do.  I put it in a sealed Tupperware... last night."   Having this acute sense isn't all fun and games, though, because I smell people's B.O. all the time.  I think that all of us being sensitive to Hamer quality is similar:  we can all sniff out a good-quality guitar, but we are often put off by common stench.  [insert name of your least favourite guitar brand here]

On 3/16/2022 at 5:47 PM, HamerCustomEr said:

I view it more as a condition, rather than a disease.  For instance, I have a super-sensitive sense of smell.  At work one morning, I said, "Who's got the Kentucky Fried Chicken?"  A woman across the room replied, "I do.  I put it in a sealed Tupperware... last night."   Having this acute sense isn't all fun and games, though, because I smell people's B.O. all the time.  I think that all of us being sensitive to Hamer quality is similar:  we can all sniff out a good-quality guitar, but we are often put off by common stench.  [insert name of your least favourite guitar brand here]

I wasn't hungry before I read this, now I'm craving the Colonel's Chicken! 

• 2 months later...

Dan, that’s one amazing guitar. Thanks for sharing the pics. I’m searching for something with a maple top, but holy moly, what a looker you have there. 

• 4 months later...
On 3/16/2022 at 10:22 AM, Drew816 said:

I just made a mess in my pants... Oops, INSIDE THE HEAD THOUGHTS, you don't have to say EVERYTHING out loud!!! -- Sorry about that. 😉

WOW, that's stunning!

NOTICE: I am NO expert here, there are folks here that have 30 times the knowledge I do but I thought I'd chime in to give some experience and thoughts:

So for our Rookie, the different "eras" of Sunbursts (and the models that followed but were basically Sunbursts!) have different qualities and things to consider. The late 70s early 80s, they have a more narrow nut width and "usually" a thinner profile neck. BUT, this isn't always the case. Some are very thin-ish, others are a little more full but certainly not to Baseball Bat level. Mid 80's get goofy, there's more variation but I will venture to say (and await being corrected if need be, please!!) that they were still 1 5/8th most often but the profiles could be a little more fat.  In the Mid to late 80s did they have get "really big" guys? I've never come across one but I'm hardly an expert.

Early 90s, MY Era of Hamers; 1 11/16th nut width, thin profile but not quite as thin as the early 80s. I have a '91 Sunburst w/ Factory Floyd, '92 Sunburst and '93 FM Special (so flat top but HUGE FLAMES! no neck or body binding). I also have an '81 Special that I've owned for a looonnnnggg time that I De-Kahler'ed during Covid, I love this guitar and deal with it's thinner neck and profile as it's a monster. About 93 to 94 the necks get fatter, and then fatter, and then the settle to what would be a more medium size in comparison to other brands, but too big for me. I'll leave that era and those measurements to others. 

'81 Special:  0.79" at the 1st fret, 0.85" at the 12th

'91 Sunburst: 0.83 to 0.86" [Factory Floyd so they probably left more meat at the nut area for long term durability??]

'92 and '93: 0.795" to 0.83"

I have a few measured in the low 2000's, they were about 0.9" 1st to 0.96" 12th for comparison

Good luck on your search!

On 10/19/2022 at 1:28 AM, Will1965 said:

Hi, are you still looking?

I've got a red 1982 sunburst bound and crowned.

Cheers Will

On 3/15/2022 at 6:49 AM, lang said:

N7PaCSu.jpg

Hi , I would be interested in both the black 79 sunburst and the 82 sunburst .. please get back to me with some foots and info ... thank u , Joe

27 minutes ago, Joe mama said:

Hi , I would be interested in both the black 79 sunburst and the 82 sunburst .. please get back to me with some foots and info ... thank u , Joe

Hey Joe, the Black Sunburst is gone.

On 3/14/2022 at 5:53 PM, Slade Moore said:

Hi Folks, I’m looking for a flat top Sunburst from any era. My first preference would be an early model with a transparent finish or sunburst on the lighter side of the spectrum. But honestly, I see so few of these come up for sale, and I’m still learning about the wide variety of options, so I’d be happy to see anything that’s available. Thanks in advance for any information you have. 

Im all ways looking for a nice 70s early 80s sunburst

Archived