Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Inflation, and current priorities

DaveH

image.png

Heh. Imagine how many fore-went the $6.50 entries to opt for the more affordable $2.50 and $4.00 spots. What would YOU pay for this lineup in these days and times? I paid about $90 for AC/DC tickets in 2008... Nose bleed seats.

1967: $6.50 = 2021: $51.40

Big Brother & The Holding Company is way down in the small print on that poster. 

That show was probably the right time to see those bands that were still moving upward in popularity. 

The three day festival shows are now priced around $200 to $250 and up.

RE: Ticket prices.  The last "expensive" tickets I paid for were for Prince in about 2002, and they were around $75 each.

A friend asked me just this week to advertise some Elton John tickets for $225 apiece, for a show that happened here on Wednesday.  No takers from my post on FB.

There's an upcoming Dirty Knobs show here at the Fine Line, which would be an amazing small venue to see this band.  Tickets are listed at $60.  I won't go at that price, although I may rethink that one.  Hmmm.

Very few performers would be worth that much to me these days.  Harumph.

Regarding the OP topic:  I was a bit young back in the day, and never did go to any of the really big festival shows in the 70s, when I was old enough.  If I had, I don't think I would have enjoyed it, even in the dazed and confused state I would have been in.  The big shows were never really my thing.  I did routinely pay $6.00 - $12.00 or so for smaller venue shows in the 70s and early 80s.

If you want nostalgia, just dig around for a typical 'big trip' grocery receipt from a year or two or three ago, and compare it to what it costs to buy the same things today...lacking that, check your bank account withdrawal records for a typical big grocery shopping trip back then.  And don't get started about gas, I think we all know the story about that by now.

Lately, I've been looking online at the shop prices for new guitars, and getting mild sticker shock from that.  It seems like it's getting harder to find a brand-new MIM Fender for under US$1000 lately unless it's a really basic model, and Squiers are starting to get priced close to where MIM Fenders used to be only a few years ago.  I haven't looked at brand-new Gibsons lately, but I strongly suspect that the situation with those isn't likely any better.

I wouldn't be surprised if Billy Joel did a new updated version of 'We Didn't Start The Fire', but the way things are going, he'd probably have to update it every few months. <_<

I paid $125.00 for nose bleed seats to see Elton John. It was his first show of the tour and he had a nasty cold, kept spitting in a bucket. 

Was it worth the money, probly not! But!! Big Bertha But!!! He is an Icon and one of my all time singer hero's. The album of my life kinda thing. Not to mention the fun times I had playing Texan love song.

Just checked out the current price for the Swart stereo (2 x 12) cabinet. It is a great cabinet, but $1678 when housing a pair of alnicos? Good grief. Based upon what I can buy the same raw speakers for, that is $1100 for the empty cab! (They will actually sell you the empty cab for $964). If you can find someone to sell anything by Swart at a discount, you are a better shopper than me.

(When I bought mine, it was $799 with a pair of Greenbacks. And I thought that was steep at the time).

I am once again thanking myself for the wood shop and the ability to make my own.

It is a curse of getting old......I recall buying an original Fender Dual Showman cab (WITH 2 15" JBLs!) for $75. MANY years ago......

8 hours ago, BruceM said:

There's an upcoming Dirty Knobs show here at the Fine Line, which would be an amazing small venue to see this band.  Tickets are listed at $60.  I won't go at that price, although I may rethink that one.  Hmmm.

Very few performers would be worth that much to me these days.  Harumph.

I'm seeing the DKs on Monday night here in DC.  Tickets were purchased over 2 years ago for $29.50 each.  The venue (the Birchmere) has doubled - for some events, tripled - ticket prices since last July.  I saw The FIXX/Fastball there a few months ago @$60/ticket. 

Yikes.

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, django49 said:

wastemgmt.jpg

He left waste management for a career in concert ticketing and now has a much larger house.

Well things have changed since the early 70’s. Use to see bands in clubs for a 2 dollar cover and I saw major acts for 5-10 dollars. Those days are gone but so are the days of making 5 bucks an hour. People today make a lot more money than 50 years ago. The one thing that hasn’t changed is that I still pick and choose how I want to spend my discretionary money. If I feel like my pockets are being picked,I don’t do it. 1974 or 2022. Doesn’t matter. 

I paid six bucks to see Kiss and Uriah Heep the night Ace was "shocked" in Lakeland, Florida.  I paid $308.75 for two tickets to see "That Little Old Band from Texas" in Daytona Beach in November.  We will get shirts and be in the tenth row in from of Billy.  Still worth it.

21 hours ago, The Shark said:

I paid six bucks to see Kiss and Uriah Heep the night Ace was "shocked" in Lakeland, Florida.  I paid $308.75 for two tickets to see "That Little Old Band from Texas" in Daytona Beach in November.  We will get shirts and be in the tenth row in from of Billy.  Still worth it.

I saw ZZ Top a few years ago for $37.50.  We were 3rd row, center (Gov’t Mule opened).  Inflation IS a beeyotch!  

27D8CE68-B5BE-4105-9DD9-11762D13D7FD.jpeg

1E998F8C-81E3-4D4D-A7C9-7873B08085FA.jpeg

8257EE8D-9730-4712-8836-12DA1162100F.jpeg

3FD0ABBC-D31A-403A-B38D-1D659B50174D.jpeg

0133F7C9-F29B-4CE6-835C-97B0A52D62B2.jpeg

73AE88A2-F980-4A64-9411-F821ACA8BAF5.jpeg

D39BF4A6-4752-430C-96B8-ABC442BF982B.jpeg

1328D7DB-F8FD-46D9-B794-D2EE11B3CED2.jpeg

6 hours ago, django49 said:

And the cost of getting to the show.....

bronco.jpg

This is why I buy used guitars and not new ones, especially if they're Partscasters that a previous owner loaded with expensive parts.  The price I paid at DGS for my incoming parts Strat just covered the list prices for the 'new', (well, recently assembled and barely used :rolleyes:) authorized replacement Fender Strat body and neck it came with:

https://www.fender.com/en-US/parts/bodies/classic-series-60s-stratocaster-sss-alder-body-vintage-bridge-mount---black/0998003706.html

https://www.fender.com/en-US/parts/necks/classic-series-70s-stratocaster-u-neck-3-bolt-mount-21-vintage-style-frets/0997002921.html

BTW, the neck's been 'modified' for a four-screw neck plate, which the description of this neck more or less mentions it's allowable to do.

I had paid €98 for Queen + AL. Show had been delayed for two years. We had planned it as a two couple long weekend city trip to Antwerp, Belgium. Worth every visit btw. Show and trip were fantastic.

I had a 5th row center seat to see ZZ Top next Sunday.  The opportunity to see them front row dead center came up, so that ticket was snapped up.  The price was significantly higher.  To justify the price in my mind the ticket for next weekend's show was put up for sale, and it did not take long to sell. 

To see ZZ Top twice within six months is something I can afford.  The thought of having so much money tied up in tickets for one band made me think it through too much.  OK, I sold my ticket to one of the shows.  There are a few bands that get me to go to shows regardless of price or the number of shows.  Alice Cooper is one of them, or maybe the only left since KISS is saying farewell because they really mean it this time (=cough=). 

Travel expenses are entirely different from ticket prices.  The opportunity to get to see another area within the USA is something to consider.  The concert just helps to set a time for it.  This year there is the consideration of gas prices being perhaps 40% higher.  I never have played with a calculator to decide between my car and truck until this year.  The restaurants along the way are higher priced than they were. 

6 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

The thought of having so much money tied up in tickets for one band made me think it through too much.  OK, I sold my ticket to one of the shows. 

These guys aren't getting any younger... Dusty sure left us suddenly, and there have been MANY others in recent years. See them while you can.

Archived