Hamer Fan Club Message Center

harmonica advice needed

tommy p

Question

I would like to learn to play harmonica and I'm seeking advice from anyone who plays.

Should I buy 2 or 3 in different keys so I can play along with a variety of songs as I'm learning or just one to see if I have any aptitude and get others later?

What would be a decent brand/model to get and how much can I expect to pay for it?

I've found some online lessons.  Anybody know of a good YouTube channel to take you from a "never played before" to "fairly competent" player in a logical, understandable way?

5 answers to this question

I've hung a harp around my neck for 40 years, I get as close as I can vs someone cupping the harp in their hands. I started mimicking Neil Young and graduated from there. I personally prefer Diatonic harps, and cross key in a small section alot. Much like the part in Tom Petty's last dance.

There's so much on youtube for different techniques, but it all boil's down to inhale or exhale in the right spot, that's what takes the practice. Get a G Special 20 and start from there. Ton of songs you can do with that. Just like everything else the more you practice the better you get!! (The G Special 20 is what I use for Last Dance, a bunch of Neil Young and G and D blues.)

It’s all good until your band tunes 1/2 step down at a gig…

Archived