Hamer Fan Club Message Center

How much would you pay for tubes before switching to SS or Digital?

My Mesa Bass 400+, with its 12 6L6s and 12AX7s, is awesome, and I’ll never get rid of it, but I just bought a Mesa 800-TT as my daily driver, so to speak…. I think when I retubed the 400+ through Tubestore.com 20 years ago it was $250.  The TT-800 has 3 12AT7s in the preamp, so it will be a lot cheaper to retube when the time comes.

To be perfectly honest, I really like the cleans that most 90s and early 2000s solid state Fender amps provide, and you can find them dirt cheap almost everywhere.  Since I don't ever have the opportunity to play any of my amps loud enough to get my gain from the power tubes, it's all preamp gain, which I can get just as easily from a pedal, so I don't feel like I'd be giving up very much if I couldn't use my tube amps, as much as I may enjoy them.

My Traynor Dark Horse uses a 12AU7 for the power tube when it's in low power mode. It delivers 0.8W min./ 2W peak so it is a truly low power mode, perfect for solo living room noodling around.

I practice with my tube amps because they sound and feel so damn good. The only time I use SS is the Auilter for the church gig…and I’d use tubes there too if the sound guys could handle it.  SS just ain’t there yet, IMO. I’ll find old tubes or buy new ones until I am done.

I started walking  away from the glass years ago.  The only amp I have with tubes is a super champ.    And that barely counts.   My other amp is the tech 21 trademark 60 which does sound pretty darn good.   But no tubes.  Come to think of it, no chips either.   Frankly, even those are still too loud in Madison Square Basement.  I’m looking at throwing in the towel and getting a pod go and headphones.  

I made the move when for bands I played in I had to also be the PA guy.  Needed the room for the extra gear.  I don't particularly miss anything.  

There's always the Hughes & Kettner Black Spirit stuff.  4 channels and all analog.  Looks interesting to me, and can go direct and power a cab at the same time.  2/20/200 watts.  That might be my next purchase, though I've been happy with what the stuff I've used throughout the years.  

Archived