Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Where will all the Hamer's go?

I recently thought I was going to sell my Korina Special but when it came right down to saying its yours, I choked.  Thank you 1 bottlerocket for being so gracious.  At any rate it got me to thinking, what happens to my Hamer's after I am gone? I am 61 and in good health so I do not anticipate anything happening soon but do any of you have a plan? I have two grown kids and seven grandkids and none of them have shown any interest in taking care of my Hamer's. Have any of you developed a plan or process so that if the unthinkable happens and your partner is left to deal with your axes, what will they do?  I have two Hamer's, and they are both incredible and I shudder to think of them sitting in a yard sale because no one knows how special they are. Is there any energy here to think of a way that our partners could reach out to this group in the event that one of our Hamer family has passed with no plan for the axes?  I am absolutely certain that both my Impact Neck Thru and my Korina Special, if treated right, will outlive my great grandchildren and I would like them to be played and taken care of, and I just can't part with them now....

Any thoughts?

Once I'm gone, I figure I'm not going to care what happens to my stuff.  I have a suspicion that as I age I'll end up downsizing considerably.  My Camaro is my most prized possession, but I doubt that either of my kids will want it.  Especially if I never get a motor in it. 🤣

I'd definitely suggest estate planning before it comes to that...otherwise, your stuff could end up nowhere near where you wanted it to go.  Notice in this article, it says little to nothing about the previous owners of the guitar/house, or if they got any compensation at all for this guitar:

https://www.premierguitar.com/pro-advice/vintage-vault/1952-fender-telecaster

I keep telling my wife I want to be buried in a pyramid with all of my guitars and pedals.  She says that is against zoning laws.  Who cares?

The funniest thing that I ever saw on the Gear Page was a post from some old guy saying that his biggest fear was that after he died, his wife would sell his guitars for what he told her that he paid for them.

where will all the Hamers go.... long time passing.... 

where will all the Hamers go....   long time ago....

young girls picked them.... every one

when will they ever learn......

oh, when will they ever learn

10 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

A couple of instruments are left to specific people in my will.  The will names someone to dispose of the rest. 

It is time to update the will, too.  Any last minute ass kissing will be considered in my revisions. 

I always liked you…

10 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

I keep telling my wife I want to be buried in a pyramid with all of my guitars and pedals.  She says that is against zoning laws.  Who cares?

The funniest thing that I ever saw on the Gear Page was a post from some old guy saying that his biggest fear was that after he died, his wife would sell his guitars for what he told her that he paid for them.

Sooooo.......what will be this piramid?😏😂

18 minutes ago, pablo said:

Sooooo.......what will be this piramid?😏😂

I'm picturing an Indiana Jones 'Ark of the Covenant' scenario. Eventually all of the Hamers will be in an anonymous-looking crate in a vast government warehouse.

I did a spreadsheet of all my music gear.  It lists when and where I got it, how much I paid for it, an estimate of its worth (updated every few months), and notes several that I want to leave to friends or family.  I even put tips on where to sell the ones NOT specifically going to a certain person; e.g. sell the Hamers here.

My kid's have taken some already, not just Hamers. But I hope they go to musicians that play them and don't let them sit idle, that's not what they're made for.

3 hours ago, stobro said:

I'm picturing an Indiana Jones 'Ark of the Covenant' scenario. Eventually all of the Hamers will be in an anonymous-looking crate in a vast government warehouse.

I'd rather have that than have any of my precious guitars wind up in some crappy photo in an ad for Guitar Center or Music-Go-Round.

9 hours ago, beezerboy said:

where will all the Hamers go.... long time passing.... 

where will all the Hamers go....   long time ago....

young girls picked them.... every one

when will they ever learn......

oh, when will they ever learn

I hope some of my guitars go to a young girl to pick on. Maybe a future Sammy Fish. Short skirt, long legs, great licks.

8 hours ago, tommy p said:

I did a spreadsheet of all my music gear.  It lists when and where I got it, how much I paid for it, an estimate of its worth (updated every few months), and notes several that I want to leave to friends or family.  I even put tips on where to sell the ones NOT specifically going to a certain person; e.g. sell the Hamers here.

I have no clue when and where I got much of my gear or how much I paid for it. The early days of ebay and craigslist are just a blur to me now.

On 3/29/2022 at 6:11 PM, stobro said:

I have no clue when and where I got much of my gear or how much I paid for it. The early days of ebay and craigslist are just a blur to me now.

Well, I had to go with my best memory on a couple of them so it's not 100% accurate.  It's way more complete than I expected I'd be able to get it though, because after I retired I purged a file cabinet and found all kinds of receipts and records I didn't know I had.

4 hours ago, sixesandsevens said:

I feel like reverb.com and whatever similar sites exist when I'm dead will make it largely a non-issue.  Just like it's hard to find a steal these days, you almost have to go out of your way to get screwed selling something.  🤷‍♂️

Unless you're forgetful.  Or neglectful.  Or just plain dead, and your family doesn't have a clue or care anything about gear:

https://www.premierguitar.com/pro-advice/vintage-vault/1952-fender-telecaster

In the 90s someone came into the music store and told us he inherited his uncle's Telecaster from the 50's.  He said his uncle played with Lefty Frizzell back then.  And, of course, the Tele needed to be refinished because it was in such bad shape.  The refin was not too good.  There was no way to date what was under the finish or tell if the neck was a Fender neck. 

My sons are pretty savvy with the collectors' market and the various buying/selling sites, forums and social media.   They already know which ones they want, and I've just given them a few over the years.  I've also given away a few others and sold several more way (WAY) too cheaply.

The goal is to not leave my wife with a pile of cases, guitars and parts...you never know when it's time to punch the clock, but at least I've got a start on things!

Archived