Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's left for under $1k?

Posted in the wrong forum. 

*Ahem* As I was saying:

Curious what y'all think is still around for under $1k that is worth messing around with. I'm not making a shopping list for myself, but I do still enjoy looking at stuff. At the moment, the only interesting stuff (to me) that I see under a grand are Japanese Ibanezes. FInding one without neck pocket cracks or locking nut cracks is a challenge, but it can be done. 

There are always partscasters (or Theseuscasters in the case of one Kiz has for sale), but even those are kinda pricey in most cases if they have quality parts. 

When I used to sell bourbon and other whisk(e)ys for a living, I used to tell customers that anyone can buy a great bottle for $100. There's no real sport in that.  The fun is finding the stuff that's under $30 that's as good as that $100 bottle. Sadly, there are almost none of those anymore - this was when Van Winkle 10 yr was $24 fifth. I feel like guitars have gone much the same way.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno.  Every guitar I own aside from my Studio Custom was under a grand. Most were under 1/2 that, and every one of them is a great guitar.  The era of CNC has largely relegated guitar "quality" to cosmetics and the setup & fretwork, which is usually pretty easily dealt with.

The Firefly FFLX that I posted the other day is a killer guitar and cost me under $300 shipped.

If the Ibanez interests you, perhaps the older Pacificas or their variants will as well. I'd recommend the 512/712 as having the most shredder like characteristics: wide thin neck alder body six screw strat trem which swaps nicely with a Babciz. 

HSS and routed for same. I've had a variety of pickups in it (OEM sucks toad balls) and currently have two Duncan A2s and a High Order Maximus; opposite end of the spectrum but that HO goes with everything.

Golden Age for cheapie guits right now. Everyone is CNC, high tolerances, etc: electronics and pickups and output jack can be upgraded later just like PLENTY of people do on high-dollar brands daily. Run the racks. Epi, ESP, Schecter, Godin, Yamaha, Squire, Harley Benton, MIM Fender... put your hands on as many as you can and find a good one.

Behold, my $200 partscaster shred machine. Yes it's a total smokeshow but it actually, truly rips!

IMG_20210625_174730132_HDR.jpg

12 minutes ago, JGale said:

Well! As I was gonna say before I was rudely interrupted...🧐

Josh winds a version of his Charlotte for this guitar that is asymmetric and measures around 11k. Gives good single coil when split. Have him make you a Neck to match, he already has the single coil...drop in a 24 Pole 5-way switch, push pull on the controls; split bridge, add neck and coordinate with the switch wiring for headache inducing howthefuckdothishsit. Big fun!

Nothing needed here 'cept for setup and maybe a cap swap (it's a bright guitar, go with something smokey). These imports have a shallower body, so mind the block swaps.

https://reverb.com/item/45248804-yamaha-pacifica-pac612viix-teal-green-metallic

oiooxc9si7ezbvluezqx.jpg

Edited to add: KGC makes a nice brass block that mates with this bridge. The OEM is marginal. You will want to make this swap.

I've heard clips of Epi LP Studios with those new pickups that sound pretty excellent. The reviews state the same. Get the nut right, perhaps a light fret level/dress too and I see no reason why a fella couldn't rock forth. ESP/LTDs and Schecters get high marks too. And those Squire Vintage models.

5 hours ago, Jim85IROC said:

Every guitar I own aside from my Studio Custom was under a grand. Most were under 1/2 that, and every one of them is a great guitar.

How long ago did you buy those, and how much are sellers asking for the same models now?  The timeframe makes a difference.  It seems to me that The Gear Market in general didn't get really ridiculous until roughly six months to a year into The Pandemic (2020), I had been picking up the occasional used guitar and amp 'bargain' from regular brick-and-mortar guitar shops up until then.

There are still used bargains to be had; myself, I tend to focus at 'under the radar' brands and/or models with utility 'bang for the buck' potential.  For example, I like some of Godin's stuff, and I have a couple of their Icon Type 2 Models (the straight HB PU model), one of which I picked up cheap at DGS because it had been literally sitting there for months.  Yeah, Godin's resale value isn't all that great (or it didn't used to be, anyway :rolleyes:), but if you're buying a guitar to play and use instead of to look at hanging on the wall, they can be a pretty good deal, IMO...or, again, they used to be.  There's other relative 'bargains' to be had, like hollow body guitars by Guild and Gretsch that were Made In Korea up until about five or six years ago...after that, they moved a lot of their production to China.  It just depends on what you're looking for.

4 hours ago, JGravelin said:

ESP/LTDs and Schecters get high marks too.

Two I've purchased in the last couple years.  Both were b-stock buys off Reverb at significant savings over street.  They're similar enough that I told myself the PT would replace the KH and the goofy inlays but they both punch so high above their weight I kept them both.

I've been a big fan of Schecter imports since getting a couple New Orleans Saints themed models made for auction more than a decade ago, and the LTD is at least as good.

original.png?1633653241

image.png

+1 on the import Schecters.   For under $1k, you could have most any style of guitar - singlecut, Floyd equipped, sustainer, bigsby, etc. I got one of the Sun Valleys Super Shreedders for around $500 a while back, and it plays well.  

Also, I had an Ibanez RG550 from new in '87 and it developed a neck pocket crack after several years of abuse, but nothing was affected by it.  

I picked up a Fret King John Jorgenson model recently. I admit that I was drawn in by the quirky visuals, but I'm impressed by the quality of construction and design.  It punches way above its weight.  This one is listed at under $1K on Reverb.

gjbixv0lhlusyxwa3c1o.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/46128114-fret-king-arcadia-green-jj-john-jorgenson

1 hour ago, crunchee said:

How long ago did you buy those, and how much are sellers asking for the same models now?  The timeframe makes a difference.  It seems to me that The Gear Market in general didn't get really ridiculous until roughly six months to a year into The Pandemic (2020), I had been picking up the occasional used guitar and amp 'bargain' from regular brick-and-mortar guitar shops up until then.

There are still used bargains to be had; myself, I tend to focus at 'under the radar' brands and/or models with utility 'bang for the buck' potential.  For example, I like some of Godin's stuff, and I have a couple of their Icon Type 2 Models (the straight HB PU model), one of which I picked up cheap at DGS because it had been literally sitting there for months.  Yeah, Godin's resale value isn't all that great (or it didn't used to be, anyway :rolleyes:), but if you're buying a guitar to play and use instead of to look at hanging on the wall, they can be a pretty good deal, IMO...or, again, they used to be.  There's other relative 'bargains' to be had, like hollow body guitars by Guild and Gretsch that were Made In Korea up until about five or six years ago...after that, they moved a lot of their production to China.  It just depends on what you're looking for.

I got the Firefly like 2 weeks ago.  Most of my current line of "keepers" has been bought within the last couple years.

I agree that between the COVID boom and now the rampant inflation that deals are a bit tougher to find, but there's still a lot of great sub-$300 stuff out there, especially used.  New, brands like Firefly and Harley Benton are pretty impressive if you're willing to put in a little elbow grease.

Look at this fretwork on that $250 firefly:

spacer.png

There are a few cheap imported guitars coming with this kind of fretwork now.

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

Oh, I haven't forgotten that one.  I'll be surprised if it's still available in a couple of months, but if it is...

1 hour ago, cynic said:

Two I've purchased in the last couple years.  Both were b-stock buys off Reverb at significant savings over street.  They're similar enough that I told myself the PT would replace the KH and the goofy inlays but they both punch so high above their weight I kept them both.

I've been a big fan of Schecter imports since getting a couple New Orleans Saints themed models made for auction more than a decade ago, and the LTD is at least as good.

original.png?1633653241

image.png

I liquor fiddled my way into an ESP Eclipse II Standard back in the fall for just over $1k.  Has the Het Set EMGS in it.  Figured I'd play it a couple of month and flip it back out into the world, but damn if it hasn't hung on. It's just nice. Made in Japan, and pretty sure it has a one-piece body. 

12 hours ago, JGale said:

If the Ibanez interests you, perhaps the older Pacificas or their variants will as well. I'd recommend the 512/712 as having the most shredder like characteristics: wide thin neck alder body six screw strat trem which swaps nicely with a Babciz. 

HSS and routed for same. I've had a variety of pickups in it (OEM sucks toad balls) and currently have two Duncan A2s and a High Order Maximus; opposite end of the spectrum but that HO goes with everything.

Those mid range Yamaha Pacifica models are great guitars, like many other makes/models if the pickups are not to your preference they certainly be changed out. Once you start getting into the 1000 series not only are they hard to find the price goes up.................... WAAAAY up. Many of the high end Yamaha are now being sold out Japan and are listed for crazy prices.. There are other makes and models that do well coming in well below 1K especially used. Guitar Show/Musicians Trade Fair here in Minnesota at the end of April will be fun to go to..................firs one since COVID hit and I'll be on the lookout for several guitars for friends, certainly the ones under 1K.

7 hours ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

Guitar Show/Musicians Trade Fair here in Minnesota at the end of April will be fun to go to..................firs one since COVID hit and I'll be on the lookout for several guitars for friends, certainly the ones under 1K.

When and where? I need to buy shit that I really don't need but feel like I am getting too good of a deal to pass on! lol

I bought a Harley Benton DC-Junior for a neighbor boy this past Christmas. Came from Thomann Music. 

Probably not the best wood or metal ever assembled into a guitar, but it arrived ready to play. No fret issues at all! The electronics and hardware are ok, not the best, but no problems. Stays in tune. He loves it. Claims he A-Bd it with the Epis at GC and he wouldn't trade for any of them.

500548.jpg

$165.00 in December 21

2 hours ago, Hbom said:

I bought a Harley Benton DC-Junior for a neighbor boy this past Christmas. Came from Thomann Music. 

Probably not the best wood or metal ever assembled into a guitar, but it arrived ready to play. No fret issues at all! The electronics and hardware are ok, not the best, but no problems. Stays in tune. He loves it. Claims he A-Bd it with the Epis at GC and he wouldn't trade for any of them.

500548.jpg

$165.00 in December 21

Have to admit that I'm intrigued by the faded Pelham Blue offering:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_dc_junior_ltd_pelham_blue.htm

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Hbom said:

500548.jpg

$165.00 in December 21

My cousin bought a HB VT Series Tele replica from Thomann last year, and other than needing a little set up adjustment when it first arrived, it nails the vintage butterscotch/black guard 50s Tele thing, to a "T!" I think his was about $200, including shipping to the States, and it lives with me until he has a new place with a dedicated music room, so I now have a T-style member of the family. Really does that open tuning Stones and Crowes stuff perfectly! The only thing I'd change on it if it were mine is the string trees - I just love the way the round ones look on those early Fenders!  

Archived