Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's left for under $1k?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/11/2022 at 4:21 PM, JGale said:

And now for something completely different.

Fret King Super-Matic guitar with Self Tuning Bridge designed by Trevor Wilkinson.
Settings include Standard, Drop D, Open G, Open E, DADGAD and GDFCDG.

https://reverb.com/item/51759277-fret-king-super-matic-guitar

image.png

That's a cool guitar! I'm very interested in the Fret King Corona GW or Corona Custom  guitar: 

Fret King Corona Custom guitar

Fret-King Corona Custom ~ Vintage White

I know I'm way late to the discussion, but I'll second the notion that there are some awesome deals on great Yamahas out there. Not just Pacificas, but some select RGXs and RGZs. I'd recommend anything 6xx or higher.

Not a great picture, but I'll bet the quilt is insane:

Yamaha YAMAHA PACIFICA 821 DX | Reverb

But honestly, I've been really impressed with my Harley Benton Fusion II. Stainless steel frets, rock-solid Wilkinson trem, ebony fretboard, for under $350.

It sounds good enough. Not close to my best guitar, but so far, impossible to sell for anything close to the fun I have playing it.

3 hours ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

But honestly, I've been really impressed with my Harley Benton Fusion II. Stainless steel frets, rock-solid Wilkinson trem, ebony fretboard, for under $350.

It sounds good enough. Not close to my best guitar, but so far, impossible to sell for anything close to the fun I have playing it.

At the end of the day, isn't that what really matters?  At least it is to me.  Life's too short to buy a musical instrument for nothing else but to look at now and then, and never play.

6 hours ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

this one is probably worth your money:

1990's Yamaha PAC721JH | Reverb

It damn sure is worth it, especially since it's equipped with "Arnico V" pickups.  Talk about rare...

But seriously, at some point, I'll find an upper-echelon PAC proximate to me for sale at a really good price and the damn thing will likely become my #1 gigging machine.

19 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

It damn sure is worth it, especially since it's equipped with "Arnico V" pickups.  Talk about rare...

But seriously, at some point, I'll find an upper-echelon PAC proximate to me for sale at a really good price and the damn thing will likely become my #1 gigging machine.

There are a number of them for sale right now, not sure why, that makes me REALLY want to run up my personal credit card with $5k (for 12 guitars...I added it up) of new guitar purchases.
But that wouldn't be prudent, and to be honest, I really like the stable I have right now.

Getting how-ever-many of them I would buy converted to stainless steel frets and scalloped would just add to the cost, be a hassle, and would also add some risk of ruining good guitars.  So I have held firm and won't take the step.  Made easier since a few of the most tempting have already sold.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 2:38 PM, Jim85IROC said:

I dunno.  Every guitar I own aside from my Studio Custom was under a grand. Most were under 1/2 that, and every one of them is a great guitar.  The era of CNC has largely relegated guitar "quality" to cosmetics and the setup & fretwork, which is usually pretty easily dealt with.

The Firefly FFLX that I posted the other day is a killer guitar and cost me under $300 shipped.

Those FFLX Fireflies are so much nicer than the others.  I think the Vs were done in the same factory.  Super nice fret ends.  I bought one out of curiosity, and sold it still, but was impressed.

To the OP, when VW12 was that cheap, there were a ton of great duties still on the shelf.  National Distillers OGD and Old Wild Turkey is high-quality juice.

As for answering the question, Eastman 400 series thinlines (ES-335 style) can be had used under $1000 and are really nice guitars.  I rank my Eastman just below my Hamers, mostly due to minor finish flaws.  Eastman and Hamer are the only guitars I really see as bargains still in the inflated market over the past couple of years.

Archived