Hamer Fan Club Message Center

'78 Saddles?

Feynman

Question

As I continue my Great Guitar Search, I have on loan my friend's '78 Sunburst.  He bought it here at my suggestion a decade ago, and the saddles appear to be stripped of their finish/plating.

I recall some perfect reproductions crafted by our brethren, but I seem to remember them as the ones used from '79 onward.

Since it's been a while...any chance of a source for replacements of these?

Thanks.

IMG_2826 Large.jpeg

IMG_2828 Large.jpeg

IMG_2829 Large.jpeg

13 answers to this question

Personally, I love the 'look' as is. But if you have to, check in to having those re-plated. It's probably cheaper, and they're original to the guitar.

That does seem like the best answer.  As an expert in this field, what would you say would cause this?  They seem to be completely stripped of their plating.  Does it wear off like that, or would it have been intentional?  

That looks too uniform and complete to not be intentional. I'd expect worn off plating to be primarily on the top where the right hand rests, not missing from all surfaces evenly. No idea why one would do that unless they were planning to get them replated, but I like the look!

You could always undo the outboard strings (the low and high Es) and flip the saddles over to check if there's any chrome plating on the bottoms.  If there isn't, then perhaps raw brass is the original finish for the saddles?  The wooden shim under the bridge would indicate that it's definitely an early model Sunburst (or at least an early model Hamer guitar bridge), but I'm positive you already know that.

1 hour ago, Feynman said:

That does seem like the best answer.  As an expert in this field, what would you say would cause this?  They seem to be completely stripped of their plating.  Does it wear off like that, or would it have been intentional?  

Expert. Ha!

I'm only guessing but I'd say it was just a poor plating job. It maybe started to flake and someone chose to remove it instead of being stabbed or cut by the sharp edges.

On 4/26/2022 at 1:25 PM, Dave Scepter said:

78?.. leave it alone for Pete's sakes... 

This^^^ People pay big money for that look!! 

What number guitar is that? I just checked the book, and the "new" (thicker) bridge came in on the 451st Sunburst. They started testing new designs in mid-78, after about 300 had been built with the original (shimmed) Mighty Mite bridge. I wonder if that's the "new" Parallel Machine, Inc. sustsin block saddle design and an older Mighty Mite shimmed bridge, from the 150 or so guitars made during that testing period (up to 8 0451)? Prototype sustain block saddles on the old MM bridge plate? Would explain the raw brass with no trace of plating. Just a thought. Regardless, I'd leave it as it is. Beautiful, original, honest. Just lovely!

On 4/26/2022 at 4:49 AM, Feynman said:

IMG_2829 Large.jpeg

Did Hamer ever use allen screws? Or could these be replacement saddles? 

I have '78 Sunburst no 409 and it has the same saddles, and ordinary Philips head screws - like on my '79's.

Archived