Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Parker guitars---why do ya 'spose they didn't make it in the marketplace?

I never played one and have no issue with the body. I actually think the body looks cool. Not really into the whole piezo acoustic/electric thing….the dealbreaker for me is that anemic, spindly butt-ugly headstock. It would hurt to look at that while playing. 

5 hours ago, jwhitcomb3 said:

1) The neck was really skinny (front to back). I don't like baseball bats, but there wasn't much to hold onto. My guess is that was partly because the body was so light - any more beef would have resulted in neck-dive issues.

I wonder if their test crowd had a lot that were thumb on the back of the neck players rather than grippers?

I am pretty open minded as far as shape and design goes and at first really didn't like the Fly mostly based on the looks. The overall shape and the headstock just seemed weird for weirdness sake. That all changed the minute I got to see one in person. After picking one up it all made sense. If I had never had a chance to check one out I would probably still think they are goofy. From that point on I was disappointed that they never made lefty's - the story of my life. Thanks goodness for Hamer and Steinberger for offering most things left handed!  

I bought a Parker Fly for myself as a 40th birthday present in 1996.  I played it for awhile and enjoyed it, but it was also around that time that the internet reared its ugly head.  While poking around to determine what my 1980 Sunburst might be worth, I discovered the HFC.  I think I bought my second Hamer on ebay in 1997, and by 2000 I had at least 5 more Hamers.  I sold the Parker to a friend in the mid 00's.

On 4/30/2022 at 10:57 PM, Willie G. Moseley said:

Mark Farner still uses one, and has a backup Fly as well. Both are hardtails. His switch in the mid-'90s was definitely because of the light weight, as he had had spinal surgery that included the implantation of a cadaver bone in his neck. Here's his go-to Fly:

Farner Parker Fly.jpg

Almost forgot about Farner playing one.  I think it's the same exact Fly he picked up in the '90s and has played ever since.  Of course, Farner also has a long history of playing some of the most butt-ugly guitars ever conceived, so his endorsement obviously has no relationship to their aesthetics. 

Really well made guitars I played a few some of the lesser cost models and the "Spruce" model shown here................. very unique and they play and sound great. I just could never passed the body shape.

I would think just the weird looks, although I thought it was pretty cool.  If you played in an 80's band or a Cars tribute or something, it would be REALLY cool to have one.  Years ago I saw a guy in a blues band of all things playing one and it sounded great.  I never got a chance to play one myself but I am curious about them.

Archived