Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New (to me) eBay BS

I've been selling some non-music gear items on eBay for the last year or so and recently have had two people bid and win auctions and then not pay.  There is NO option to leave negative feedback in this situation.  Your only choices are to leave positive feedback or  use a "report buyer" button.  If you use the report buyer option, nothing happens.  Nothing is noted on their account.  I looked through these people's feedback and there are several POSITIVE feedbacks that say "buyer didn't pay", "ignores all communication", and things like that.  Who is going to read each and every POSITIVE rated feedback only to find out it's really a negative comment?  eBay is a necessary evil, but damn, it's getting more evil all the time.

6 minutes ago, tommy p said:

recently have had two people bid and win auctions and then not pay.  There is NO option to leave negative feedback in this situation. 

Recently happened to me as well, 

Agreed total bullshit! 😠

They wanted to see the interest  in whatever you were selling. Now they are hoping you relist it and they can get it at cheaper price of course it will be under a different account. We ran into the same issue when trying to sell some items from my father in-laws estate.

agree it was a probe... seem to notice it happens alot on the MJT auctions...  they try to snipe it

low and the bidding ran up.     IMHO. a positive with a "buyer didn't pay" comment to me is informative

and could give other people a heads up,  if there are other comments of the same type, that

would definitely give me the impression that the guy is a "first class jackass" and to beware.   

List it again as a buy it now at 10% higher than the previous winning bid. Accept offers. After you get an offer, remove offers accepted and raise the bin price another 5%

If the jackwad really wants it, they can buy it. If not, the auction times out. Don't stress over it. 

1 hour ago, veatch said:

List it again as a buy it now at 10% higher than the previous winning bid. Accept offers. After you get an offer, remove offers accepted and raise the bin price another 5%

If the jackwad really wants it, they can buy it. If not, the auction times out. Don't stress over it. 

Please excuse my ignorance but this seems like a lot to do... plus won't he get charged for the "Buy it Now" option?.. I'd just relist it normally and take a chance again... just report then block him... sooner or later that person or persons will run out of scam attempts or be exposed

5 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

Please excuse my ignorance but this seems like a lot to do... plus won't he get charged for the "Buy it Now" option?.. I'd just relist it normally and take a chance again... just report then block him... sooner or later that person or persons will run out of scam attempts or be exposed

I thought you were only charged if it sold. It's been years since I've sold on the bay of E, so excuse me if that is incorrect. 

18 minutes ago, veatch said:

I thought you were only charged if it sold. It's been years since I've sold on the bay of E, so excuse me if that is incorrect. 

No, it's all good, I'm not sure if it's incorrect, I'm always trying to learn something new especially when they seem to be changing the playing field... also trying to see the purpose of doing all that... seems like a lot of jumping around?.. But hey, if it works~

Purpose is if the "buyer" is trying to test the limit to wait until it is relisted to get it for less, don't relist it as an auction. List it as a BIN for more than the buyer would have had to pay if they would have bought it in the first place.  

Allowing for offers, rejecting the offer, then increasing the BIN price without the option of an offer is the chance to just be a dick. 

6 minutes ago, veatch said:

Allowing for offers, rejecting the offer, then increasing the BIN price without the option of an offer is the chance to just be a dick. 

Oh okay 🤣

Also you can still list it as a auction but set your "start bid price" accordingly 

True. 

When I used to list there, I would list with BIN for the price I wanted,  but would accept offers. Most of the time, it would simply sell at the BIN, or i would get a reasonable offer that i would accept. When I would start getting a tire kicker floating low-ball offers, I would remove the option of taking offers and increase the BIN.  Surprisingly, the listing usually would still sell, and for more than i wanted. I would occasionally get the tire kicker back complaining that he/she wanted to buy at the previous price. I would reply with a friendly, "Thank you for your interest. We are not accepting offers for this item at this time."  Three or four exchanges with the same response would get rid of the tire kicker. Or better yet, piss him/her off. That would be a bonus. 

I'm usually a nice guy. Honest. 

Ebay is full of shady characters.  I had the reverse situation happen to me.  I was the winning bidder in a No Reserve auction for a hard to find guitar.  Seller must not have liked the price the auction ended at...He refused to sell it to me and ignored all communication from me.  Ebay was no help.  I tried to report... There was nothing I could do. They told me they could not make him honor the auction.  

I used to buy stuff from ebay all the time, regularly. Now I can't even remember the last time I bought something. To much hassle. It's been years.

I just received an order of two Ritchie Blackmore tab books from Japan. Easy sales, books arrived in 4 days. Couldn’t be happier with the transaction. 

eBay has been fine for small items like these, but I don’t think I’d use it for any more capital purchases. It would have to be something I really want or can’t find anywhere else. Selling? Nah. 

Archived