Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I'm used to seeing Sustain Block bridges on Sunbursts, not Schaller TOMs (which looks to me like the same kind that's used on Heritage guitars, BTW); but I just realized (maybe it's my bad eyesight at fault here) that, if the bridge is slanted for intonation purposes, then it appears to me to be slanted in the wrong direction on this guitar, unless it was strung lefty for some weird reason.  :rolleyes:  That reminds me, since the top's mentioned so prominently in the Reverb listing, I gotta ask: Hamer Sunbursts are usually only topped with veneer, even on a Sunburst made in '85, correct?

Sure doesn't look like the 'original pickups'. Or the original bridge. Not sure how they came across that 'rating' for the top, either.

I had a rather difficult experience with that seller once.

spacer.png

Agreed, something appears to be a little bit off with the alignment of the bridge pickup. 

Unless it is the angle of the photo, you can almost see the misalignment (in one photo in particular), as the strings cross over the pole pieces.  If the high E side of the bridge pickup was brought down, and level, it appears that the strings would line up better over both coils.

The trapezoids look suspect as well.  Instead of pizza day, whiskey day?  Or more likely frankenstein day not at the factory.

Definitely not worth the price without a sustain block, if in any way trustful. The pics look highly polished which suggests of hiding something. Actually, is the stadium logo period correct for that model?

That's not an '85 serial number, the 3rd inlay is crooked in every photo, and the bridge is installed backward.

But 5 grand? Seems reasonable.

Aftermarket bridge with extended adjustment range plus saddles set at the the rearward limit suggests intonation issues. I suspect the bridge pickup ring was mounted poorly after it left the factory, possibly because the original mounting holes were stripped.

that's not right.

wrong bridge and backwards.

Bridge pickup mounting crooked.

crooked inlay job with round edges.

soft shoulders on headstock.

Font is close, but off.

binding is suspicious.

It dose look like a Schaller TOM style bridge from that era. Sunburst in general from the mid 80's are seldom seen. Other Hamers I have seen from the mid 80's era with TOM/Stop tails usually have the narrower, Nashville style Schaller bridge.  IDK if it the wider TOM bridge but the tail piece looks too close to the bridge. 

STADIUM LOGO! When did those even first appear? You guys tell me...

And is this a Sunburst?! It has all the "appointments" of a Sunburst but isn't labeled as such. The case looks like brand new, "possible" I guess but really?

Me smell a "fake." There's a lot wrong on this bugger that just isn't adding up. Or maybe it's a Re-Top project, but the bound neck too?

You guys know these better than I do, but that BRIDGE is an in your face warning sign to me. Nice top though, and yes as mentioned, at least it's insanely priced to compensate! 😉

On 5/25/2022 at 6:18 AM, bruce919 said:

It dose look like a Schaller TOM style bridge from that era. 

The bridge is an aftermarket Schecter “Cross-Lock” from the ‘80s. I think Stars Guitars made these. Once the intonation is set, the saddles are locked with two Allen screws. Notice how the post-holes are offset? This is so the bridge sits perpendicular to the pickup. 

I had one of these on my LP Stamdard 80 for 15 years. Not attractive, but a very solid alternative. If you search early photos of Kirk Hammett and his black V, you’ll see he used one, too. 

To my eyes, it appears that both the humbucker/ring and the aftermarket bridge are slanted.  The bridge is slanted on purpose, but the pickup...

Photo angles can be deceiving (Shown below, I angled the original photo by ~2 degrees in an attempt to make it square and then overlaid rectangles at true zero degrees), as the guitar is sitting on stand at some degree of angle opposite the camera.  Still, I'm with Murkat.  Too much stuff just doesn't line up or look right.

Weird sunburst.png

14 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Photo angles can be deceiving (Shown below, I angled the original photo by ~2 degrees in an attempt to make it square and then overlaid rectangles at true zero degrees), as the guitar is sitting on stand at some degree of angle opposite the camera.  Still, I'm with Murkat.  Too much stuff just doesn't line up or look right.

Weird sunburst.png

that manipulation definitely helps, but any camera angle distortion aside, the intonation on that bridge alone screams "WRONG SPOT"

24 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Photo angles can be deceiving (Shown below, I angled the original photo by ~2 degrees in an attempt to make it square and then overlaid rectangles at true zero degrees), as the guitar is sitting on stand at some degree of angle opposite the camera.

That's true, but when the same object is visibly crooked in several photos shot at different angles (the 3rd inlay) it's just crooked.

1 minute ago, soli'd said:

don't think I've ever seen a bound headstock on an early sunburst. or maybe any sunburst now that I think of it.  

The "Armstrong" headstock Sunbursts were bound, but that's obviously a different animal.
That said, I think it's folly to try to compare this to any legitimate model and/or Hamer era because I don't believe it is either a Hamer or legitimate.

1 minute ago, kizanski said:

That's true, but when the same object is visibly crooked in several photos shot at different angles (the 3rd inlay) it's just crooked.

Exactly!  I probably didn't make my point clearly enough.  I tried valiantly (whilst eating leftover fajitas for lunch) to line up the angles of specific parts of what we know is a three-dimensional object and while I got a few things to align, it's still definitely fucked-up looking.  The eyeball test always applies. 

Archived